How exactly do I pick a suitable motor?

ModernTimes

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I had a look into what I can upgrade on my gun and what I have settled with is trying to increase it's trigger response and fire rate. Problem is I have no clue if what I am about to do will harm any other components and I want to be sure it won't mess up my gun before I do it.

The gun I own is a Specna Arms SA-C08 CORE™ Carbine AEG. The current upgrade it has is a replaced spring which is now a M105.

The motor I want to buy is this ASG Infinity CNC, specifically the U-45000 (as I read that the number corresponds to the motor RPM and I want the highest fire rate possible without breaking things).

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/asg-infinity-cnc-motor

I also want to decrease trigger response time but I'm unsure exactly what I would need to buy for that.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, ModernTimes said:

I want to be sure it won't mess up my gun before I do it

There are no guarantees in airsoft, and little quality control. Everything is a gamble.

Here's what I've found:

11.1V is the cheapest way to make your motor spin faster.  Dumb brushed motors aren't complicated: the more voltage you put across the terminals, the quicker they'll spin.  They'll also heat faster and wear out faster, but, meh, airsoft, pretty much everything is a consumable.  Whatever voltage you're using, you'll want a battery capable of delivering the highest possible amperage (i.e. capacity * C rating).  The one thing I am certain of is that you should never let the battery be the limiting factor or you'll put the heat there, and cook it.

11.1V and a £30 Big Dragon M140 motor from AlieExpress with an M100-ish spring (i.e. ~1.1J) gets me an auto fire rate that I wouldn't want to push any higher because of the risk of premature engagement, plus a decent semi auto response.

However, if you make your motor spin faster by whatever means, you can then get overspin and double-shots on semi.  This may or may not be an issue for you depending on your site and intended usage, especially if you can pop in a weedier battery just for chrono then restrain yourself on the field.

Adding a mosfet with a pre-cock setting, e.g. a Perun AB++ takes care of the double-tap and improves the semi-auto even further. It also adds the option of bursts, and even of reducing the fire rate if you're over-cooked it.  Some Specna COREs have an X-ASR mosfet, some don't, but it's only there for trigger protection, and mine gets in a sulk over current if I put even a Big Dragon M140 or M160 in, even on 7.4V.

Sorry, I've no experience with motors in your price range.

On 13/05/2022 at 15:41, Rogerborg said:

There are no guarantees in airsoft, and little quality control. Everything is a gamble.

Here's what I've found:

11.1V is the cheapest way to make your motor spin faster.  Dumb brushed motors aren't complicated: the more voltage you put across the terminals, the quicker they'll spin.  They'll also heat faster and wear out faster, but, meh, airsoft, pretty much everything is a consumable.  Whatever voltage you're using, you'll want a battery capable of delivering the highest possible amperage (i.e. capacity * C rating).  The one thing I am certain of is that you should never let the battery be the limiting factor or you'll put the heat there, and cook it.

11.1V and a £30 Big Dragon M140 motor from AlieExpress with an M100-ish spring (i.e. ~1.1J) gets me an auto fire rate that I wouldn't want to push any higher because of the risk of premature engagement, plus a decent semi auto response.

However, if you make your motor spin faster by whatever means, you can then get overspin and double-shots on semi.  This may or may not be an issue for you depending on your site and intended usage, especially if you can pop in a weedier battery just for chrono then restrain yourself on the field.

Adding a mosfet with a pre-cock setting, e.g. a Perun AB++ takes care of the double-tap and improves the semi-auto even further. It also adds the option of bursts, and even of reducing the fire rate if you're over-cooked it.  Some Specna COREs have an X-ASR mosfet, some don't, but it's only there for trigger protection, and mine gets in a sulk over current if I put even a Big Dragon M140 or M160 in, even on 7.4V.

Sorry, I've no experience with motors in your price range.

3 hours ago, Sneaky said:

As above 11.1V and a mosfet.

Appreciate the response.

From the responses I have got I understand I need to look into getting a new motor, a mosfet and a higher voltage battery. As for the motor, how do I tell whether the motor I chose is better or worse than the Big Dragon?

I'm using this video as a guide https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc4IUdgeW4E and it's the reason I chose the Inifinity CNC motor. I'll probably get a battery that's suggested in the video too unless you guys could maybe give me some starting points for each?

So far I have the option of the infinity CNC or the Big Dragon for the motor but I have no clue what to look into in regards to mosfets or batteries.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.