TM Hi Capa mag won't fill up with gas

RostokMcSpoons

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I've had a gassed-up mag in my TM 5.1 lying around for yonks (i.e. since my last skirmish many weeks ago)
I happened to dry-fire it until it was empty a few days back, and remembered today to re-gas it to ensure the seals didn't dry out.

Well dang it, it seems they have already, because as I inject the gas it just comes straight back out around the base of the mag.    
I've tried a couple of different cans of gas, both with same result (and they work on my other mag)

So what's the procedure in fixing it?

If you're sure its from the base rather than the fill valve then you'll have to open the base and use Silicone oil on the rubber seal.  Maybe even soak it for an hour or so.

Worst case, you might need a new one but they're cheap. 

To open the base is either a couple of pins through the sides or a screw at the bottom.

Edited by EDcase

I just took it apart, covered the main seal with a good smear of my cheapo Silverhook silicone grease, and it's back to holding gas :)
The seal looked fine, was still 'elastic', which goes to show that it's a fine line between success and failure in this airsofting lark, isn't it?

4 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

I've had a gassed-up mag in my TM 5.1 lying around for yonks (i.e. since my last skirmish many weeks ago)
I happened to dry-fire it until it was empty a few days back, and remembered today to re-gas it to ensure the seals didn't dry out.

Well dang it, it seems they have already, because as I inject the gas it just comes straight back out around the base of the mag.    
I've tried a couple of different cans of gas, both with same result (and they work on my other mag)

So what's the procedure in fixing it?

Firstly simply take the plastic base plate off and tighten the Philips screw.  They work loose. Failing that take the base out and reseat the seal with silicon grease

Ah yes of course it's possible the screw had worked loose and actually the seal was fine... I'll remember just to give the screw a tweak regularly... I've just checked the other mag was ok too.

5 hours ago, Floperator said:

I made mine out of some spare keys at work...at £6 each maybe I should start selling them...

Too late for me, I ordered one already! 

Glad you got it sorted.

I've never had a leaky mag that I couldn't fix by either tightening shit or using the hot water trick or a combination of the two. Never replaced a seal in my life.

I've used security flathead bits as valve keys before now.  

Used very very carefully, but it was possible.

I shall return asking for specific help with "the hot water trick" and "security flathead bits" if I need to... but touch wood, my relatively new TM mags will be ok for a while now, now I know how to simple it is to get to the seal and the need to keep it all tightened up.

My valve key won't turn up until the middle of June!  (But has cost 'only' £6.80 inc p&p)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.