Milsim Gear Guides

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey Everyone,

Im putting together a couple Milsim guides for DEVGRU, KSK, SAS e.t.c these kits would have all gear commonly used by these units and any variations you might find. Perfect if you want your imitation to be spot on!

Let me know if you would be interested 

I don't really milsim as it's all a bit much for me (NVG crew gonna NVG, and I like having a nice hot shower, some food and a chill out in the evening), though I do filmsim/battlesim stuff and love a bit of dress up so I'd be interested to see what you come up with!

13 minutes ago, Impulse said:

I don't really milsim as it's all a bit much for me (NVG crew gonna NVG, and I like having a nice hot shower, some food and a chill out in the evening), though I do filmsim/battlesim stuff and love a bit of dress up so I'd be interested to see what you come up with!

Thanks man, currently drafting it up. anywhere I could send it to see what you think?

2 hours ago, Lucas_2357 said:

Thanks man, currently drafting it up. anywhere I could send it to see what you think?

Sorry, not giving out my email address to someone with 2 posts. It's not you, it's just there are a fair few bots and such that seem to try their luck around here, so I'm naturally cautious. You could always post it here?

I’m not really sure guides are needed.

I think half of the fun is building load outs and researching what you need (for those who do it, personally I don’t care about matching kit etc)

plus there’s info on here if you can navigate the search function and loads of YouTube vids I would imagine

On 05/05/2022 at 17:15, Albiscuit said:

I’m not really sure guides are needed.

I think half of the fun is building load outs and researching what you need (for those who do it, personally I don’t care about matching kit etc)

They're definitely a labour of love if you go through with publishing any kind of articles, especially as they are constantly evolving so they become out of date very quickly. 

And that's before you get the purists involved arguing about the different colours and shades of multicam webbing available and in use (yes that genuinely happened on a FB group yesterday.)

Having said that, if you want to write then go for it, put the research in and enjoy the process. You're unlikely get famous or make money or get free stuff but you might have fun and provide a few readers with some entertainment.

For some inspiration have a read of some of the good blogs out there like ATRG, thegeardocrow, thefull9, thegearconfessional or the reptile house blog. Enjoy 👍

Edited by Crazy_Crystal
Typo

• Supporters
10 hours ago, Lucas_2357 said:

Hey Everyone,

Im putting together a couple Milsim guides for DEVGRU, KSK, SAS e.t.c these kits would have all gear commonly used by these units and any variations you might find. Perfect if you want your imitation to be spot on!

Not intentionally pissing on your parade but the kind of players who’d go to a mil-sim game in a realistic tier1 get up wouldn’t need a guide and probably know a lot more about the subject than you would ? The opposite side of the coin if a play needs to refer to a ‘how to look like Superman’ guide I’d have thought they’d have a shit fit when they see how much it’ll cost them to put it together and not bother ! 

Several of the kit guides I've seen are basically adverts for a specific shop or shops.  A decent independent kit guide would be useful I think.  

How detailed are you going to get ?

are we talking if you squint on a dark night and “oh yeah now I see what you were trying to do” 

Or a full 360 break down under the microscope “I’m sorry but your button is out of orientation to this reference picture from 1972”  .

🍿 

I think it’s a good idea and could be of use to those trying to build specific kits. 

However, as mentioned be prepared to be told that you’re wrong by the loadout and experts. 

34 minutes ago, Jacob Wright said:

I think it’s a good idea and could be of use to those trying to build specific kits. 

However, as mentioned be prepared to be told that you’re wrong by the loadout and experts. 

I’m quite fond of ‘experts’ who state with ‘authority’ that a British Army load out is wrong when on operations you get numerous mixes of uniform & equipment in MTP, multicam, DPM, olive, and issue (let alone 1950 era issue belt on just out of Sandhurst 2nd Lieutenant), QM GPC purchase, PRI purchase, private purchase.

Then when not on operation there are all the different regimental dress codes, combat loads, shouty man’s dress code etc

When the Army can’t agree on sleeves up/down, shirts (light jacket) tucked in/out etc and the CGS sends out an Army wide order on when up/down applies and that C95 is tucked in but PCS is out - but the Army stiffly disobeys, followed by CGSs new order of “I don’t give a shit whether it’s up/down/in/out, you can have local orders - but be fucking consistent”*
* not the officially published wording 

23 hours ago, Lucas_2357 said:

Hey Everyone,

On topic now …..

Loadout guides appear in some magazines as an article, or also as explicit or less explicit advertising, sometimes as web articles etc and can be aimed at airsoft, reenactment, model making etc

They can also be research such as Osprey guides, museums, photos & paintings etc

Theres a lot of information out there.

The thing that may make a difference is whether you are collating and publishing the information or selling guides

Many people will be interested in reading a guide, less would pay for it 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.