new to airsoft.. am i doing it right?

SoupyXo

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

My other suggestions (based on the picture, so if you have it already done these things, you can ignore me 😃) would be to get a few more mags for the AEG or get a high cap one that you can quickly refill in a game, I normally go through my two mid caps and resort to using my high cap (as you can normally just tip your bbs in them quickly). It can be a bit of a ballache to reload your midcaps in the middle of a game with the type of speedloader you are showing.

I highly recommend footware with ankle support so you dont break a bone when you foot goes down a ditch or rabbit hole. 😂

You might find that mask fogs up too, so try and pre-treat it prior to the game with some cat crap (yes, a real thing haha) or some anti-fog solution/wipes, you'll find plenty of opinions on glasses, goggles, masks and anti-fog solutions on here.

Ultimately though, as @EDcase says, if you are having fun, you are doing it right, so welcome to the world of airsoft, hope you enjoy it!

Edited by Brophy

1 minute ago, Brophy said:

My other suggestions (based on the picture, so if you have it already done these things, you can ignore me 😃) would be to get a few more mags for the AEG or get a high cap one that you can quickly refill in a game, I normally go through my two mid caps and resort to using my high cap (as you can normally just tip your bbs in them quickly). It can be a bit of a ballache to reload your midcaps in the middle of a game with the type of speedloader you are showing.

I highly recommend footware with ankle support so you dont break a bone when you foot goes down a ditch or rabbit hole. 😂

You might find that mask fogs up too, so try and pre-treat it prior to the game with some cat crap (yes, a real thing haha) or some anti-fog solution/wipes, you'll find plenty of opinions on glasses, goggles, masks and anti-fog solutions on here.

Ultimately though, as @EDcase says, if you are having fun, you are doing it right.

i have some boots and camos already (proper surplus boots and camos in the MTP pattern) they're just not pictured, and the mask is temporary until i find a pair of goggles and a half face mask i like the look of. i can only guess getting pinged in the ear with a bb isn't fun....

mags for the aeg are on the list, but the one i do have is a high cap (350 round) which is pretty decent, and i can just pour bb's into it through the little window on top of it so loading that one isnt too bad, and yeah the speed loader does suck but its just for ease of loading the pistol mag while i'm not on the field rather than doing it one by one.

my next purchase is more batteries, gas and bb's, and hopefully a better mask and goggles if i can find something i like :) 

Looks like a perfect starter set up to me 👍

As above another mag or two for your primary gun will come in handy, and good ankle support is essential (some sites won't even let you on without it, reading between the lines they've seen too many people with twisted and sprained ankles).

What will happen is that after a game or two you'll figure out what works for you and what doesn't, so don't sweat about buying more kit until then.

14 minutes ago, Floperator said:

Looks like a perfect starter set up to me 👍

As above another mag or two for your primary gun will come in handy, and good ankle support is essential (some sites won't even let you on without it, reading between the lines they've seen too many people with twisted and sprained ankles).

What will happen is that after a game or two you'll figure out what works for you and what doesn't, so don't sweat about buying more kit until then.

one thing i am having a tough time finding is a holster for the pistol that lets me run the flashlight on it... currently got a swiss arms adaptx, but its too small for the flashlight which sucks... kinda want a drop leg holster

Edited by SoupyXo

35 minutes ago, EDcase said:

I use one like this

Trimex Universal Leg Holster - Just BB Guns

It is adaptable but duno if it'll fit with the torch.  Might have to get a specific one...

awesome, ill give that one a look, thanks :) 

1 hour ago, SoupyXo said:

and the mask is temporary until i find a pair of goggles and a half face mask i like the look of

These will really pop with your guns.

Seriously though, I use Pit Vipers and they're great

FreeRangeClimax2000FRNT_x566.jpg

1 hour ago, SoupyXo said:

kinda want a drop leg holster

They look cool but I could not get on with one at all, found it incredibly uncomfortable and ditched it halfway through my first game day.

YMMV of course! But I'd recommend not spending a fortune on a drop leg set up (or anything else) until you're sure it's for you.

27 minutes ago, MAX DICKER said:

FreeRangeClimax2000FRNT_x566.jpg

would definitely prefer goggles with a mostly covered half face, or a decent looking full face mask... ive been popped in the eye by a springer once.... did not enjoy that at all 

• Supporters
3 hours ago, SoupyXo said:

kinda want a drop leg holster

A lot us do, until we use one.  Torches complicate things further.  These universal drop-leg holsters can be be adjusted to take most combinations, and if you don't get on with the drop-leg aspect, they can be fettled to attach directly to a belt or molle easily enough.

That's a perfectly reasonable bundle.  Hat tip for the S65 charger.  The AA hi-capa's fire selector is a little sus, but then what isn't in airsoft?

Can you use the carbine optic OK with that mask?  I can't quite make out the mask, but it looks like it might be Valken MI-7 dual panes? If not dual paned and you get fogging, dual panes work well, either the MI-7, or DYE equivalents.  Or if you want to go lower profile, Pyramex i-Force dual pane goggles work.

Much of airsoft is finding out what works for you, so I'd just play and see how you get on.  Don't hesitate to bin off anything that you don't like, even if all the cool kids are sticking with them - I'm looking at that bungie sling here.

24 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

A lot us do, until we use one.  Torches complicate things further.  These universal drop-leg holsters can be be adjusted to take most combinations, and if you don't get on with the drop-leg aspect, they can be fettled to attach directly to a belt or molle easily enough.

That's a perfectly reasonable bundle.  Hat tip for the S65 charger.  The AA hi-capa's fire selector is a little sus, but then what isn't in airsoft?

Can you use the carbine optic OK with that mask?  I can't quite make out the mask, but it looks like it might be Valken MI-7 dual panes? If not dual paned and you get fogging, dual panes work well, either the MI-7, or DYE equivalents.  Or if you want to go lower profile, Pyramex i-Force dual pane goggles work.

Much of airsoft is finding out what works for you, so I'd just play and see how you get on.  Don't hesitate to bin off anything that you don't like, even if all the cool kids are sticking with them - I'm looking at that bungie sling here.

battery safety is my top priority, coming from an RC background, so the s65 was a no brainer... id have gone with another q200 but i only have the one battery for the aeg right now... maybe later

holster wise, i might have to get a fabric adjustable, cos while i like the adaptx, it struggles a lot with latching.... drop leg just looks cool, but i have a belt so i wouldnt be opposed to a belt attachable holster, and the sling, it looks cool, and im not one for returning things that arent from amazon if they work

mask is a valken annex mi7, i just tested that question... its not gonna work with my optic, so im looking at a half face and goggles with a fast helmet.....

as for the pistol fire selector, if you mean that dodgy thing on the back end of the body, just below the slide, i dont think its a fire selector, i think its meant to be a safety, but it just doesnt work lol 

Edited by SoupyXo

2 hours ago, MAX DICKER said:

Pit Vipers? Seriously?  😲

They will cost more than the OPs gun once shipped. They look cool, in a deeply retro uncool way, but a bit much for a new player don't you think?

Welcome. You look like your taking a pretty sensible approach. I use one of these mesh masks and personally I think it's great.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07953M6Z6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_i_dl_5YXMAX5TEEC47GCHD7DX

Has flexible cheeks so cheek welding and looking down optics is no issue and also has ear protection. As you imagined in your earlier post. It is no fun taking one to the ear so these are great and will work with most standard goggles or glasses. I'm using it with a valken goggle, cant remember which one now but they are fairly chunky and marry up with the mesh lovely.

14 minutes ago, Khyber said:

Welcome. You look like your taking a pretty sensible approach. I use one of these mesh masks and personally I think it's great.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07953M6Z6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_i_dl_5YXMAX5TEEC47GCHD7DX

Has flexible cheeks so cheek welding and looking down optics is no issue and also has ear protection. As you imagined in your earlier post. It is no fun taking one to the ear so these are great and will work with most standard goggles or glasses. I'm using it with a valken goggle, cant remember which one now but they are fairly chunky and marry up with the mesh lovely.

when i do hobbies, i spend a lot upfront (within reason, if £640 so far is reasonable XD) to make sure i've got things i need, and then expand upon it later.

would you believe me if i told you i already have that mask in my basket, im just looking for goggles now, so ill be gettign a fast helmet too... wanna cover as much of my face and head as possible, the rest of my body wont hurt as much as the face lmao

Edited by SoupyXo

17 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Pit Vipers? Seriously?  😲

They will cost more than the OPs gun once shipped. They look cool, in a deeply retro uncool way, but a bit much for a new player don't you think?

Mine are triple function, airsoft eye pro, work eye pro, and general purpose sunglasses. Great value

44 minutes ago, SoupyXo said:

when i do hobbies, i spend a lot upfront (within reason, if £640 so far is reasonable XD) to make sure i've got things i need, and then expand upon it later.

would you believe me if i told you i already have that mask in my basket, im just looking for goggles now, so ill be gettign a fast helmet too... wanna cover as much of my face and head as possible, the rest of my body wont hurt as much as the face lmao

I lm with you on that. I spent 1200 getting into FPV flying and 1400 on my first airsoft shop. Mind i went GBBR first so had alsorts of extras I needed to get me going.

31 minutes ago, Khyber said:

I lm with you on that. I spent 1200 getting into FPV flying

Fuck me, I never spent close to that with my racing drones. Although it was a fair few years ago when Fatsharks barely existed and we strapped huge boxes with screens to our faces. Fun times.

10 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Fuck me, I never spent close to that with my racing drones. Although it was a fair few years ago when Fatsharks barely existed and we strapped huge boxes with screens to our faces. Fun times.

i often bought new rc drift chassis', built them out and then resold them without ever using them, for no particular reason... and id also very often buy out peoples ''selling up'' lots, for the cool shit they had in there so i could expand my builds, needless to say, i spent a lot of money on rc drift builds

ive apparently also reached my max posts for the day, so... PM's are available if need be

Edited by SoupyXo

1 hour ago, Speedbird_666 said:

I went prime with everything. Built the drone from the ground up cost about 400 then oled goggles were nearly that again then all the batteries, chargers and small peripherals and a bag etc soon added up

With airsoft got an MWS and 6 extra mags which was not far of the price of the rif itself, then a case, 2 types of red dots and a scope. Then 6 cans of gas. Bbs. Chest rigs. Goggles. Face mask. Chrono. Grease etc... 

• Supporters
4 hours ago, SoupyXo said:

mask is a valken annex mi7, i just tested that question... its not gonna work with my optic

[Sad womp-womp noises]

Well, I asked because it's caught out a lot of us.

You can add a rail-riser under the optic if you want to stick with the MI-7 - and I'd consider it, I've not come close to fogging mine, which is a first.  We've just had a post in the "wut made" thread here of a huuuuge riser.  Whatever works works.

The other option is, quite seriously, to lop off the parts of the mask that are getting in the way.  Actual customisation.

Or leave it as-is and use it situationally.  I use my MI-7 with pistol or MP5K at CQB sites or even on a game-by-game basis.

4 hours ago, SoupyXo said:

as for the pistol fire selector, if you mean that dodgy thing on the back end of the body, just below the slide, i dont think its a fire selector, i think its meant to be a safety, but it just doesnt work lol 

That's the grip safety, hateful things. I just taped it down on my AEP 1911.  I was actually thinking of this... bit. Sorry, I don't speak hi-capa, I've just seen a couple of owners swearing at theirs.

image.png.ff8574cdc76ac522fc2717f606191f73.png

Nothing to worry about, pretty much all airsoft toys have a quirk or foible.  Specna Arms like to blow the front off of their gearboxen, for example, although your CORE might not have the suspect Orion box, and mine's been fine.

It sounds like you have realistic expectation of the costs and foibles though, so just laugh it off, patch it up, concentrate on the next day, and it's all good.

👆 The bit circled is the safety but can only be engaged when cocked.

Many safeties are like that but I prefer not to leave the hammer back for long so I just leave the guns loaded but not ready to fire.

12 hours ago, SoupyXo said:

new to airsoft.. am i doing it right?

Yes.

5 hours ago, SoupyXo said:

ive apparently also reached my max posts for the day, so... PM's are available if need be

Wait, this is a thing? I talk utter crap on here all the time, and I've not seen this. Is this a new member thing?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.