Stuck Barrel Nut

Tomac Pang

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all, recently I've been planning a rail change on my classic army KM12 however I immediately ran into an issue when trying to remove the barrel nut from my current rail as it very stuck on the receiver. I'll be honest and say this gun didn't get loved all that well so the nut has some surface level rust I do not know if this is part of the issue. I have read that heating up the barrel nut can help however I intend to use the polymer receiver beneath and am worried about damaging it. Does anyone have any advice on how I can remove it without doing any damage?

Get some wd40 around it and let it seep into the threads for a little while. Then sometimes a few sharp taps with a screwdriver handle or small hammer can free up the part, and when you go to undo it, a slight move to tighten first before changing direction to unscrew it.

WD40 / penetrating lube, warm with hair dryer - won’t damage receiver, put something immovable on one side of the nut (a vice for example) and tap/hit the other side with a steel hammer, this will shock the nut loose by making it flex and ‘ring’

3 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

That's where a 3D printer comes in really handy for one-off jigs and tools. 

yup, there's a little business there for sure for someone as the real AR vice grips don't really fit that well for airsoft, well mine doesn't.  Can get them from ali for £12 but have to wait a month to arrive.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, ak2m4 said:

AR vice grip is what you need but it's a pricey tool for just a one off job

Ant supplies have them for relatively cheap https://www.ant-supplies.uk/maintenance-and-care/cleaning-equipment/rifle-bench-vice-blocks.html

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.