Tokyo Marui NGRS longevity of the stock gears - My MP5A5 broke with 36.000 rounds

tom63

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi everyone!

I have a Tokyo Marui MP5A5 Next Gen for two months and after 36.300 shots (most in semi), it has stopped working. It was completely with stock parts and had never been opened. It has been running on 7.4v-20C 1400mAh Lipo and G&G 0.25gr bbs.

I have opened it completely and two gear sector teeth have broken in the part that engages with the spur, not with the piston. Apparently everything else is fine. I have ordered another original Tokyo Marui gear set for replace it.

It is my first Tokyo Marui gun, and my question is: Is this normal that stock gears broke with 36.300 rounds? Is it the normal longevity of the stock gears?

How many rounds can your next gen gears hold before breaking?

And how many rounds I can hope for the piston teeth (actually there is not for sale a piston for this model)

Thanks!

IMG_20220415_161656.jpg

Traditional AEG's are not happy with spamming in semi. If you really did 36k rounds, erm i think you are doing extremely well. 

I wouldn't expect stronger uprated gears to last anywhere near that long in semi.

I sold my NGRS because they all seem to be a pain in the ass to keep running, have more expensive and often hard to find parts. Compared to a normal AEG, they are also much harder to work on.

My NGRS was an M4 model, but nether the less. It shit the bed and ripped the back of an upgraded piston off after probably 12000 rounds. 

• Supporters

Coming to your question from the other direction I’ve got a recoil SOCOM thats 14yrs old  , a 12yr old AK74su , a 11yr old sopmod and a G36k that’s 9-10yr old that are all stock bar a deans fitted , all been used by either my self or both my sons(22+19 both played since they where 14) and all are still functioning fine(admittedly the mag stop no longer works on the Socom and is a bit finicky on the sopmod). In all that time I’ve found when ever I’ve spoken too or heard about players having problems with theirs they’ve ALWAYS done something to it internally , no matter how small the ‘up-grade’ has been I still blame that as the route cause of the problems . I’ve always said TM recoils are the ultimate example of “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it !” as I think due to japans very strict FPS rules TM have made their guns to run perfectly in the range of 280-305’ish and the minute you change anything internally on them it throws it out of balance and that’s why they go tits up .
So I’d say unfortunately you had a lemon simple as that . 😢 

3 hours ago, tom63 said:

Hi everyone!

I have a Tokyo Marui MP5A5 Next Gen for two months and after 36.300 shots (most in semi), it has stopped working. It was completely with stock parts and had never been opened. It has been running on 7.4v-20C 1400mAh Lipo and G&G 0.25gr bbs.

I have opened it completely and two gear sector teeth have broken in the part that engages with the spur, not with the piston. Apparently everything else is fine. I have ordered another original Tokyo Marui gear set for replace it.

It is my first Tokyo Marui gun, and my question is: Is this normal that stock gears broke with 36.300 rounds? Is it the normal longevity of the stock gears?

And how many rounds I can hope for the piston teeth (actually there is not for sale a piston for this model)

Thanks!

IMG_20220415_161656.jpg

36k in 2 months thats a hell of a lot of rounds how many games did you play?

49 minutes ago, BigStew said:

36k in 2 months thats a hell of a lot of rounds how many games did you play?

36k in two months is because I don´t play games. I have never play "airsoft" in my life. I use the AEG´s in my home with small targets. I like very much to take aim. I usually shot 300-1000 shots per session +-. I write all the magazines used in excell. This is why I can say the amount of shot with more or less precission.

1 hour ago, Druid799 said:

Coming to your question from the other direction I’ve got a recoil SOCOM thats 14yrs old  , a 12yr old AK74su , a 11yr old sopmod and a G36k that’s 9-10yr old that are all stock bar a deans fitted , all been used by either my self or both my sons(22+19 both played since they where 14) and all are still functioning fine(admittedly the mag stop no longer works on the Socom and is a bit finicky on the sopmod). In all that time I’ve found when ever I’ve spoken too or heard about players having problems with theirs they’ve ALWAYS done something to it internally , no matter how small the ‘up-grade’ has been I still blame that as the route cause of the problems . I’ve always said TM recoils are the ultimate example of “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it !” as I think due to japans very strict FPS rules TM have made their guns to run perfectly in the range of 280-305’ish and the minute you change anything internally on them it throws it out of balance and that’s why they go tits up .
So I’d say unfortunately you had a lemon simple as that . 😢 

Do you use 7.4v Lipo battery in yours Tokyo Marui recoil, or use the specific NiCd Tokyo Marui battery?

And do you think that your aegs have more than 35k rounds?

Mine was with stock parts. I don´t want to change either the stock components, that´s why I have ordered the Tokyo Marui gears.

There is no one who has broken gears or piston in a TM NGRS with 100% stock parts? At some point they have to break, I suppose...

• Supporters
3 hours ago, tom63 said:

36k in two months is because I don´t play games. I have never play "airsoft" in my life. I use the AEG´s in my home with small targets. I like very much to take aim. I usually shot 300-1000 shots per session +-. I write all the magazines used in excell. This is why I can say the amount of shot with more or less precission.

Do you use 7.4v Lipo battery in yours Tokyo Marui recoil, or use the specific NiCd Tokyo Marui battery?

And do you think that your aegs have more than 35k rounds?

Mine was with stock parts. I don´t want to change either the stock components, that´s why I have ordered the Tokyo Marui gears.

There is no one who has broken gears or piston in a TM NGRS with 100% stock parts? At some point they have to break, I suppose...

I run 7.4v LiPo’s and 9.9v LiFe batteries in mine , binned the NiCd the minute I got the guns ! 😁

god yes ! I hate to think how many rounds they’ve had through them over the yrs I’ve owned them , plus most of my shooting is on semi , only use auto if a non hit taker needs a ‘spanking’ 😉

can’t say no one’s hasn’t ever broken(that’ll be a silly thing to say) all I can say is I’ve personally not known anyone who’s had one they’ve owned from new(so they know it’s full history)go tits up as yours has . 👍

Those who know me on here know that I generally run TM recoils.  Going back to the Marui recoil, there is no way your TM should have buggered up after a couple of months of normal expected use. And this is where I stress normal and expected. An average TM gear set, even though it an alloy of some sort, will wear out. It's not a question of IF it's more of WHEN it does. I had one recoil whose stock gears lasted 10 years. I've had another whose gears I changed after 18 months. It all depends on how hard you drive the RIF. Now in your case, 36K rounds in 2 months is a hell of a lot of stress and I'm not surprised your gears are shafted. What you are doing is not what I'd categorise as normal expected use. You have managed to probably get 3 years worth of wear and tear in 2 months. And I would hazard to guess that any stock brand of gears would not be able to handle that type of punishment . I would also check your stock piston as I expect that will have gone Pete Tong too and probably lost a tooth or two on it's way.... In addition your plastic bushes may need some attention too as they will probably have worn out a tad too. Also I'd have not ordered a replacement set of TM gears but I'd have bought hardened gears either from Prometheus or if your budget extends Siegetek the latter are CNC machined and are very very very strong gears! 

Edited by AlphaBear

On 18/04/2022 at 09:56, tom63 said:

Hi everyone!

Thanks!

IMG_20220415_161656.jpg

Sounds like you were unlucky. Never had an issue with my TM SCAR and I have had that for years.  The gear that broke is easily replaced, it could of been much worse!

On 19/4/2022 at 0:50, AlphaBear said:

Los que me conocen aquí saben que generalmente ejecuto retrocesos TM. Volviendo al retroceso de Marui, no hay forma de que su TM se haya fastidiado después de un par de meses de uso normal esperado. Y aquí es donde hago hincapié en lo normal y lo esperado. Un conjunto de engranajes TM promedio, aunque sea una aleación de algún tipo, se desgastará. No es una cuestión de SI es más de CUÁNDO lo hace. Tuve un retroceso cuyos engranajes originales duraron 10 años. He tenido otro cuyos engranajes cambié después de 18 meses. Todo depende de lo duro que manejes el RIF. Ahora, en su caso, 36K rondas en 2 meses es una gran cantidad de estrés y no me sorprende que sus engranajes estén dañados. Lo que está haciendo no es lo que clasificaría como uso normal esperado. Se las ha arreglado para obtener probablemente 3 años de uso y desgaste en 2 meses. Y me arriesgaría a adivinar que cualquier marca de engranajes no sería capaz de manejar ese tipo de castigo. También revisaría su pistón original, ya que espero que también se haya ido Pete Tong y probablemente haya perdido un diente o dos en el camino ... Además, sus casquillos de plástico también pueden necesitar un poco de atención, ya que probablemente se habrán desgastado un poco también. Además, no habría pedido un juego de reemplazo de engranajes TM, pero habría comprado engranajes endurecidos de Prometheus o si su presupuesto se extiende a Siegetek, estos últimos están mecanizados por CNC y son muy, muyengranajes fuertes! 

Yes, I think the important data is the number of rounds you have made, not the number of years you has had the aeg.

Thank you for the tips. Apparently the piston was fine, I think.  When I ordered the TM gears, I also bought a TM plastic bushes in case they were needed.

Anyway, yesterday I also bought a Prometheus Gears 18:1 (original torque), and Prometheus piston and pinion. Surely first I will install TM gears with original piston and pinion and when it breaks I will probe all Prometheus material.

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, tom63 said:

Yes, I think the important data is the number of rounds you have made, not the number of years you has had the aeg.

Thank you for the tips. Apparently the piston was fine, I think.  When I ordered the TM gears, I also bought a TM plastic bushes in case they were needed.

Anyway, yesterday I also bought a Prometheus Gears 18:1 (original torque), and Prometheus piston and pinion. Surely first I will install TM gears with original piston and pinion and when it breaks I will probe all Prometheus material.

Thanks!

The TM plastic bushes are a weak link....they wear out quickly... as you are throwing so many rounds in such a short period the heat caused by the friction of the gear 'pegs' (the bits that go into the bushes) will wear the holes out more quickly which in turn will cause additional play/wobble in the gears which in turn will help exacerbate the wear on the gears.... as you said quite rightly once the TM gears go again replace with prommy and that includes the bushes too...

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.