My gun rings like a bell after every shot

steverebo

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I have done a few upgrades on my arp9 and now when I shoot it rings like a bell. I have had a couple of full day skirmishes and it was a pleasure to use but this ringing is really annoying me.

The changes I made were a new compression set

stock cylinder short stroked 13:1 gears M120 spring with a coild and a bit removed 

Rocket bearing spring guide 

Stock motor 

155mm prometheus barrel 

Seriously I had this on my Specna,I took it apart to no avail.I adjusted the hop and it fired ok but still rang.I eventually discovered that I had bent one of the 3 tangs on my flash hider.I actually liked it tbh.

Yes piston has bearings, when I clipped the spring I heated it till red hot pushed it against a flat surface so it flattened out a bit and then I sanded it so it wasn't totally round

• Supporters

You could try a different spring, something longer with a bit more compression at rest.

Otherwise precocking will effectively prevent the "boioioioing" after firing.

10 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

You could try a different spring, something longer with a bit more compression at rest.

Otherwise precocking will effectively prevent the "boioioioing" after firing.

Just tried with precock still does it it's definitely the spring I can hear a ting after each shot.

Precock does reduce it slightly 

Edited by steverebo

Pull the charging handle and let it go, does it do the ringing noise? If so, try putting grease on the spring for the charging handle. It was this on my G&G guns that made the ringing noise. 

Edited by MagpieTactical

2 minutes ago, MagpieTactical said:

Try putting grease on the spring for the charging handle. It was this on my G&G guns that made the ringing noise. 

That and the forward assist spring. 

Just now, Badgerlicious said:

That and the forward assist spring. 

Never considered that one.  Just roll pin out and then the button followed by spring? 

So I have completely removed the upper reciever to rule out the charging handle and forward assist and it still rings and I am even more confident that its the spring.

I have found a plastic washer on my stock arp9 piston head so u could remove the thrust bearing and use this instead 

Very unlikely that the spring is ringing out, it's under compression and in contact with the piston and compression chamber. Though spring guides and top hats are always a good idea.

I'd be looking at the flash hider or outer barrel.

• Supporters
On 16/04/2022 at 18:41, steverebo said:

stock cylinder short stroked 13:1 gears M120 spring with a coil and a bit removed 

On 18/04/2022 at 08:40, Floperator said:

Very unlikely that the spring is ringing out, it's under compression and in contact with the piston and compression chamber.

As the OP has cut the spring down, there's every possibility that the spring is NOT under compression at the end of a cycle.

@steverebo - if you open up the gearbox, with the piston and spring guide in place, is the spring under tension when the piston is fully forward or can it move freely back and forth?

29 minutes ago, Lozart said:

As the OP has cut the spring down, there's every possibility that the spring is NOT under compression at the end of a cycle.

@steverebo - if you open up the gearbox, with the piston and spring guide in place, is the spring under tension when the piston is fully forward or can it move freely back and forth?

Didn't imagine that the OP would have cut the spring down to negative preload, would expect a massive loss of FPS if this was the case.

If so then a tophat and/or spacing washers would fix it. Or new spring lol

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Floperator said:

Didn't imagine that the OP would have cut the spring down to negative preload, would expect a massive loss of FPS if this was the case.

If so then a tophat and/or spacing washers would fix it. Or new spring lol

If it was an OEM spring they are often shorter than an aftermarket spring anyway.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.