What on earth am I doing??

Egon_247

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Game on indeed 😀

Welcome to the Airsoft asylum 👋

We all started somewhere and just learnt by doing what others did and watching their gaffs and triumphs and then developing your own style and strategies. Although in my case that all goes for a ball of chalk when the game starts lol.

Good idea to do the rental games first before you decide on which gnu you want.

Ask questions,talk to the guys at your game site,they are only to eager to share their knowledge.( Not me though I've got no time for no nothing noobs!) 😉

Listen to the briefing and follow your team and hope they know what the hell is going on and you will be fine.👍

Enjoy and call your hits.🤕

Check out afuks @GAMBLEhe has a  tube channel with tips and info and general all round Airsoft antics.

regards

• Supporters

Welcome, your in the right place for good well intentioned advice from fellow geriatric pie lovers 🥮🐖

Best advice I personally can give you is don't be sucked in by the gearqueers & stitch counters, for every bit of super expensive kit thats seen on seal team or similar, there's an airsoft version that costs about 20% of the real steel kit, & it'll do the job almost as well when you take in to account how much use its likely to get in comparison to real world combat. 

Plus, as you mentioned your lad is your youngest, no doubt your having to pick up the tab on everything for both of you lol. 

Same goes for guns, yes it's very easy to blow £500+ on top line kit, brands such as cyma do the job for considerably less, so no need to get silly (well not straight away anyway 🤣

With regards to load carrying kit, go as light as you can to start with, if you are carrying extra timber, overloading your self with multiple layers of sweat inducing tactical nylon will finish you off by lunchtime, so think about what you need rather than what you want. 

& have fun👍

• Supporters

Ahoy, you're doing something very silly.  Playing pretend soldiers at your age, who'd be daft enough to spend money on that? ;)

It's ace, and I don't even have the excuse of dragging my son along.  Ask away, we might even give straight answers rather than joke advice like "The Double Eagle M83A2 can be skirmishable," or "Not all P90 owners looks like sweaty neckbeard struggle-cuddlers.".

Welcome 🖐

Plenty of info in the forum so do lots of reading 😉

Yes, we always recommend renting first to get an idea of what kind of pewpew you'll want.

...and don't worry, some of us are over 50 🙄

Edited by EDcase

10 hours ago, Tackle said:

Welcome, your in the right place for good well intentioned advice from fellow geriatric pie lovers

Along with plenty of sarcasm, light hearted piss taking and questionable humour

Welcome. Good call on renting first as it'll be help you work out what works best for you. As others have said, speak to others on site and don't be afraid to ask about their gear and guns as the vast majority players are more than happy to show it off

Must be something in the water, I'm 47 this year mate and just getting started after a very very long break from airsoft. Additional timber, wear and tear means I wont be running about like a loon and 'speedsofting' but I intend having fun. Whats better than running round in the woods with a (real looking) toy gun??? 

Hi @Egon_247 👋

Welcome to forum, full of advice and like minded players! 🔫🤪👍

Good luck getting started and enjoy it with your son! 🤞👍

Thanks @Shamal for the mention, anyone else on here starting, have a channel if interested? 🔫😎👍

💷GAMBLE💷

Cheers for the warm welcome guys. Much appreciated. Have landed a cheap and cheerful mp7 (R4?) by accident, that needs new batteries so job 1 will be looking at the utterly massive world of what will fit and what not to get. 😁

I'm an engineer so taking things to bits is the easy bit. 🤣

The amount of firing my boy was doing at our first skirmish I think I'm going to need to strip a tesla. 😁

@gamble just subbed. That chair looks comfy 😊

Edited by Egon_247
Fat fingers

Hi @Egon_247 👋

Glad to hear it is coming together! 🤞

Also yes, the chair is comfy! 😂

🔫😎👍

💷GAMBLE💷

• Supporters
13 hours ago, Egon_247 said:

Have landed a cheap and cheerful mp7 (R4?) by accident, that needs new batteries

Oh, they do look fun, especially for CQB or as a sniper secondary.  As a woodland primary they might struggle.  The internals are based on electric pistols, and there's a very small cylinder volume to work with.  You can put in stronger springs (see Eagle6.co.uk TM AEP springs) but they're always going to be limited in muzzle energy.

As stock, they come with a specific nimh battery that I believe is very slightly different from the similar-but-not-identical battery used by most AEP (auto-electric-pistols).  Probably the best thing you can do for it is to bin that off and replace the standard push-in battery connector with a Deans, Mini-Deans or even a JST plug, and use a small 7.4v lipo battery, whatever will fit in the battery compartment.  Even with a tiny 300mAh / 35C/70C (i.e. 10.5A - 21A) lipo, I got much better trigger response from my CYMA AEP.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well. It's been eventful! 

R4 is dead. Tappet snapped and they appear to be held by unicorns as they're quite difficult to find... 

The boy now has an m4 variant (340ft/s out if the box!) and the honey badger now at 351ft/s. Yay! 

Took him and two of his mates yesterday to apocalypse airsoft in Maidstone and I think they now have the bug too!! 

Boy had a bit of a moment when the smoke he was pulling got caught on his glove and burned his finger but they sorted him out and he's still as enthusiastic as ever! 

I may have inadvertently purchased an m58b shotgun while I was there too, you know, "just for emergencies"... 😉😁

IMG_20220604_101612.jpg

• 2 months later...

"standing in the rabbit hole looking up....." 

Now on pew #6.... 

Honey badger, m4 (boys), m58 shotgun, Mp5sd (other boys!) , mp5, mk23+gofasterbits, m92f, glock 17...

Loving it.... 

47 ? bloody youngster 🤣  And that glorious excuse ........ it's the lad's gun !

Welcome, glad you're enjoying the madness 

Let's face it, at this point Tramodol, codeine and Sanatogen are performance enhancing drugs and we don't care!

Hat off to you Sir.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.