Anyone had dealings with this person ?

Smee

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I posted on Facebook that I’d like a L86 a little while ago (just missed out on one here) and the other day had Michael Joseph Thomas contacted me via messenger, saying he could get hold of one with a genuine susat for £300.

I don’t know him, his Facebook page looks legit till you look at his friends then it starts to look dodgy, majority of friends are middle/Far Eastern there’s no military looking friends, although he claims to of served (think he was TA, he’s not contacted me since I told him that I had) the number he’s posting looks very high for the date he’s quoted (joining 94 with a number 301, I joined with a 246 number and when I left in 94I hadn’t met anyone with a 3 number).

I could very well be wrong and he might be genuine but the deal seems too good to be true, a genuine susat normally goes for a few hundred and claiming he can get hold of and not having is a bit of a concern, he might of been hacked, I don’t know so thought I’d ask here if anyones had dealings with him.

• Supporters

"if it looks to good to be true, it probably is" 

Not worth the risk, if you've got even the slightest doubt, walk away. 

Given that it's via Facebook, I'd run like fuck lol. 

Other than not touching with a barge pole there are two follow up actions:

1) Forget about it

2) Notify the police / RMPs

From the information there are two likely possibilities - nothing exists and money will disappear, or there is an open door at the back of someone’s armoury

The RMPs would be interested in the 2nd possibility

• Supporters
36 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Definite scammer 1000%

I think i know his sister Sharon Terence Walter Arthur Thomas

12 hours ago, Smee said:

I posted on Facebook that I’d like a L86 a little while ago (just missed out on one here) and the other day had Michael Joseph Thomas contacted me via messenger, saying he could get hold of one with a genuine susat for £300.

I don’t know him, his Facebook page looks legit till you look at his friends then it starts to look dodgy, majority of friends are middle/Far Eastern there’s no military looking friends, although he claims to of served (think he was TA, he’s not contacted me since I told him that I had) the number he’s posting looks very high for the date he’s quoted (joining 94 with a number 301, I joined with a 246 number and when I left in 94I hadn’t met anyone with a 3 number).

I could very well be wrong and he might be genuine but the deal seems too good to be true, a genuine susat normally goes for a few hundred and claiming he can get hold of and not having is a bit of a concern, he might of been hacked, I don’t know so thought I’d ask here if anyones had dealings with him.

https://www.facebook.com/michael.j.thomas.779

Seems v legit

E: Plenty of legally sold civvie susats now btw

Edited by DrAlexanderTobacco

Thanks for the responses, it was my thinking as well.

8 hours ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

Seems v legit

E: Plenty of legally sold civvie susats now btw

have to say yours is the only voice saying this which seems a bit odd (unless that was sarcasm, which unfortunately doesn’t transfer well into typing), for info the “civvie susats” are replicas/dedicated airsoft sights a genuine one would go for around £400 (here’s a site that sells them http://www.deactivated-military-weapons.co.uk/mdwsupplies-scopes.html for reference) then you have the cost of the RIF so yes a deal that seems to good to be true

Edited by Smee

• Head Moderator

Ask him to join the forum, I am sure that we would all like some bargains ;)

2 hours ago, Smee said:

Thanks for the responses, it was my thinking as well.

have to say yours is the only voice saying this which seems a bit odd (unless that was sarcasm, which unfortunately doesn’t transfer well into typing), for info the “civvie susats” are replicas/dedicated airsoft sights a genuine one would go for around £400 (here’s a site that sells them http://www.deactivated-military-weapons.co.uk/mdwsupplies-scopes.html for reference) then you have the cost of the RIF so yes a deal that seems to good to be true

Look, ultimately that profile is from someone who is very clearly an ex-squaddie and has shitloads of army friends and the majority of them aren't "far eastern".

The number he supplied you is all over his wall on various army certificates you can see in his photos, so that's legit as well

My comment about susats was referring to Tommika saying you should shop him into the Army - far too premature.

Just as people overprice some items though, plenty of people underprice because they either don't know the true value, or they don't care too much.

It's up to you! Just thought I'd post the profile because the bellingcat alumni here couldn't find it otherwise

Edited by DrAlexanderTobacco

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Jedi_Master said:

Ask him to join the forum, I am sure that we would all like some bargains ;)

I agree, op should direct him to join here, not necessarily so we all get dibs lol, selling rifs via Facebook is still against their T&C's, & knowing how "intrusive" they can be may cause problems for those involved, as well as any Airsoft pages they're members of, whereas here there are no such issues 👍

Spartan numbers 300+ were brought in mid 2000s when JPA was rolled out tri service not late 90s. If he was TA then regular he would have been like me and kept his service number mine was from Jan 2000 and when i joined the regulars 3 years later I kept my number and my quals.

I would be wary of someone selling a genuine SUSAT both as an ex monkey and as a normal airsofter. Genuine SUSAT contain tritium gas which isnt great stuff to breathe in of it gets damaged but also i would ask to see the serial number printed on the underside of the sight...if its scraped away i would walk away!

Also be aware as others ha e said the RMP and MDP monitor facebook and ebay for this sort of thing and pay visits with local police and i can guarantee that 100% as i was in the same department that did it

Edited by Johndaniel4863

Deleted

Edited by EvilMonkee

2 hours ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

My comment about susats was referring to Tommika saying you should shop him into the Army - far too premature.

I did of course give that as something to consider 

If it sounds too good to be true then it usually is, and at the price shown probably was too good to be true and either some replica or something stolen 

Of course sometimes there are lucky purchases made of items very cheaply and legally where an easy sale can be made 

As @Johndaniel4863has also mentioned there are stolen goods going around, and recently on here was a reminder of goods going out of the QMs back door that found their way into Airsoft plus unsavory overseas buyers 

• Supporters
6 hours ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

Look, ultimately that profile is from someone who is very clearly an ex-squaddie and has shitloads of army friends and the majority of them aren't "far eastern".

Indeed, that's the first suggestion that Facebook made.  Fousands of friends, I'm sure some of them are quartermasters. ;) 

The profile I linked to is a closer match to what OP was saying.  Either he's found completely the wrong profile, or I'm wondering if it's some sort of unconvincing robot account created to very badly mimic the high-friend-count "real" Michael Joseph Thomas in name only.

The ??? was a general invitation to comment on that, I don't Facebook and have no idea what sort of shenanigans are popular there these days.

On 06/04/2022 at 13:10, Smee said:

I posted on Facebook that I’d like a L86 a little while ago

If I may say so, this was your big mistake, essentially publicly posting that you've got money burning a hole in your pocket, and that you're perhaps borderline desperate.

This is the profile link for his Facebook page, this is directly from the messenger message

to help out dralexander there are some airsofters but no military there are a hell of a lot of foreign friends as you’d expect from a hacked or scammers page. If you actually know him then can you ask if he was hacked/scamming/or just very cheap and how long would it take him to get the goods ?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.