Ready or Not played by noobs

Skullchewer

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

If you haven't heard of Ready or Not, it is a game still in development,
It is very reminiscent of the early Rainbow 6 games, or SWAT4. (I believe some of the dev team worked on R6 games back in the day, but I may be mistaken)
Here's what the steam page says:
"Ready or Not is an intense, tactical, first-person shooter that depicts a modern-day world in which SWAT police units are called to defuse hostile and confronting situations."
Kick in doors, free hostages, you know the drill.

Tonight a bunch of noobs will be playing it. I am one of those noobs. 
If you're bored on a Friday evening, like this sad sack, and feel like seeing what the game is like then here's my youtube live stream. We'll be starting soon.

21 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

I see White Guy Dreadlocks, I hit the "Call the Cultural Appropriation Police" button.

1-man-pinching-the-bridge-of-his-nose-sc

Celts, picts etc also wore their hair in matted braids. 

• Supporters
6 minutes ago, Skullchewer said:

Roman reports of Britons wearing their hair "Like snakes".

Fascinating. What's the primary source reference for that?

14 hours ago, Tackle said:

Shamal remembers seeing them, back in the day🤣

(retreats to my improvised nbc shelter awaiting the abuse😬

PS my mate, black Trinidadian, got married in a kilt, no one said a word ....... other than the state of his legs lol🦵🏿

Haha cheeky young fecker! 🤣

Hey listen...don't get started on the hair jokes....🤭

Regards

• Supporters

Pliny the Elder:

[Ctesias] speaks also of another race of men, who are known as Monocoli, who have only one leg, but are able to leap with surprising agility. The same people are also called Sciapodae, because they are in the habit of lying on their backs, during the time of the extreme heat, and protect themselves from the sun by the shade of their feet.

People from India look like this, because the Romans said so.

670px-Nuremberg_chronicles_-_Strange_Peo

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

Pliny the Elder:

Coo. Wish I wuz clever like what you are.

Oh and it's not feet it's fut. 😉

Regards

5 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Pliny the Elder:

So what was Pliny's view of Ctesias's account?

IIRC there are accounts of Britons stiffening their hair into clumps/spikes with lime and clay.  Certainly the original dreads were created that way by Saddhus, so a possibility at least.  

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

IIRC there are accounts of Britons stiffening their hair into clumps/spikes with lime and clay.

Heh, this takes me back to my historic reenactment stitch-counting days.

That appears to be from Diodorus Siculus, a 1st century BC Greek historian writing, or rather anthologist.  One of his citations was Ctesias of Cnidus, of the monopodal claims above, so that's the level of veracity we can expect.

The citations I can find for that refer to Gauls, rather than Britons.  All Celts though, right?  This purports to be a Roman Republic coin depicting a Celt.  How do we know it's a Celt? Well, it looks like a Celt.  How do we know what Celts looked like?  Here's a coin that looks like one (and around we go).

69-2l.jpg

Likewise, this is cited as a Roman copy of a Greek statue and has been dubbed "The Dying Gaul", by much the same circular reasoning.

243e751f311b86e1f166d7ff6fa34635

This is more interesting, it's apparently a British Iceni coin, cited as "Bury F".  That's the only context I can find for it.  You can read into it what you like, and those who want to wear crusty dreads doubtless will.

Fig-10a-Bury-F.jpg?ssl=1

You can find similar looking images on other coins here, which do seem superficially compelling, until you look at the other side and often see horses with their manes depicted in the same fashion.  It would be curious to take such pride in an animal that you'd depict it on your coinage, but with its mane all skanky and tangled.  People are going to see what they want to see though.

The "hair like snakes" quote is widely attributed to Julius Caesar, but when challenged, nobody seem able to cite a source.  It doesn't appear in this English translation of The Gallic Wars.  The closest is this passage:

All the Britains, indeed, dye themselves with wood [sic], which occasions a bluish color [sic], and thereby have a more terrible appearance in fight. They wear their hair long, and have every part of their body shaved except their head and upper lip

Interesting stuff.   That Iceni coin looks similar to Byzantine examples that I have seen.  

I would be a terrible historian tbh.  The temptation to go full on von Daniken for my own amusement would be too much.   

• Supporters
7 hours ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

I would be a terrible historian tbh.  The temptation to go full on von Daniken for my own amusement would be too much.   

I suspect most of them do to some extent, or at least the ones that get any sort of popular attention.  Bold statements of fact, no matter how crazy, are always more appealing than the truth, which is usually "We don't know, this is at best a semi-informed guess"   See also "my fU11y uPgR4d3d gun can shoot like a laser at 100m" versus "all airsoft guns are basically the same".

An historian chum did once let slip that radio carbon dating works like this: you decide what date you want something to be, and you keep sending your sample to be dated (at different, or even the same lab) until you either get the number that you want, or you run out of budget.

• Supporters

I've got to admit, when it comes to thread derailment, you guys have excelled on this one, quite literally went off the rails by the second post, a record even by afuk's standards👌👍🤣

21 minutes ago, Tackle said:

I've got to admit, when it comes to thread derailment, you guys have excelled on this one, quite literally went off the rails by the second post, a record even by afuk's standards👌👍🤣

Yes, but it's been done with class, people usually name-drop Hitler rather than Pliny when doing it on other forums 😄

16 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

That appears to be from Diodorus Siculus, a 1st century BC Greek historian writing, or rather anthologist.  One of his citations was Ctesias of Cnidus,

So he had a fwiend in Wome? 

• Supporters
6 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Yes, but it's been done with class, people usually name-drop Hitler rather than Pliny when doing it on other forums 😄

Although I'm always a bit way of the progression from "honouring my Keltoí ancestors" -> "neo-paganist symbology" -> "a rather selective interest in mid-20th century history".

Father Ted | GIFGlobe

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.