Worst injury from airsoft

sonofsammo

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

44 minutes ago, sonofsammo said:

My darling son got my SRS out to check on it properly. 

And hurrah! It has survived completely unscathed. As has the scope! 

So sacrificing myself was worth it in the end 🤣

woohoo. Probably 😱

42 minutes ago, sonofsammo said:

I can seriously empathise. How long did it take them to mend?

About 2 months. It was literally about a year after breaking 3 in an mtb over the bars crash on roots and rocks. 

Painkillers is the key with broken ribs, otherwise you avoid coughing sneezing etc and can end up with aspiration pneumonia. 

In truth though, they only hurt when I breathed 😂

1 hour ago, sonofsammo said:

I can seriously empathise. How long did it take them to mend?

I laugh at the banter, but bust ribs do flaming hurt.  Mine took a couple of months to heal too.  They clicked like castanets at first. 

I did actually play with them broken, but I only walked and didn't run.   

10 hours ago, MagpieTactical said:

Painkillers is the key with broken ribs, otherwise you avoid coughing sneezing etc and can end up with aspiration pneumonia. 

In truth though, they only hurt when I breathed 😂

I'll bear that in mind. I sneezed earlier and thought I'd frigging broke em all! So have become very averse to sneezing, coughing, laughing.... 

Don't fancy pneumonia as well though lol

Edited by sonofsammo

Guest SquashyTundra6

Not an injury for myself, but I remember a kid brought a 450fps sniper and wasn’t  allowed to play (328fps limit in NI), but he started messing about with the rifle in the safe room and ended up shooting his mate in the eye from about 2 metres. Don’t know if the kid lost the eye or not but it looked very rough and he was carted away in an ambulance very quickly. 

Mine didn't start out as an airsoft injury but was made a lot worse by airsoft.

Last August, I partially tore my left Achilles' tendon on the first day of a week's walking on Dartmoor.  After purchasing the entire supply of painkillers in Princetown's general store, I carried on walking for the next six days with only mild discomfort provided that my left boot was tightly laced (once the boot was loose it hurt quite a lot).  Once I had returned home, the ankle seemed ok until one Sunday at the end of September when I over extended it playing airsoft.  I spent much of the following day in A&E (I wasn't going there in my own time) and emerged with a pair of crutches, some seriously interesting painkillers and a series of physio appointments.  

After about two months I was able to walk properly again, although the ankle will never be 100%.  I keep looking at the remaining crutch (its friend was donated to a charity shop) and wondering if it could be converted into a sniper rifle.

Front tooth on my first day airsofting. Came around a corner and got hit close range. The initial impact did not hurt and I actually spit the BB out with pieces of the tooth. After a dentist visit, turned out that the fracture was all the way into the gum. This was 3 weeks ago, nerve has been taken out and coming Friday, the remaining pieces will be removed surgically. My own fault for not wearing a full mask but I still enjoyed the day.

11 minutes ago, Rm1980 said:

Front tooth on my first day airsofting. Came around a corner and got hit close range. The initial impact did not hurt and I actually spit the BB out with pieces of the tooth. After a dentist visit, turned out that the fracture was all the way into the gum. This was 3 weeks ago, nerve has been taken out and coming Friday, the remaining pieces will be removed surgically. My own fault for not wearing a full mask but I still enjoyed the day.

Why I will always wear and recommend lower face pro when airsofting. I've already spent too much time and pain on these teeth to deal with them being shot out. 

3 hours ago, Rm1980 said:

My own fault for not wearing a full mask but I still enjoyed the day.

That's the spirit! 

Got to be honest I don't get not wearing full face, to me it's as nuts as not wearing eye pro.

Had enough dental pain and cost in my life that I just don't understand why you would put yourself in a position where you could get your teeth shot out.

Probably an unpopular opinion but I think full face should be compulsory.

Not a fan of making things  compulsory myself, but...

It can spoil the atmosphere when an adult player looses a tooth and gets pissy about it.   There are enough options out there for decent facepro tbh; and moaning about the results of one's own decisions is a bit un-manly IMHO.  

Guest DrAlexanderTobacco
3 minutes ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

Not a fan of making things  compulsory myself, but...

It can spoil the atmosphere when an adult player looses a tooth and gets pissy about it.   There are enough options out there for decent facepro tbh; and moaning about the results of one's own decisions is a bit un-manly IMHO.  

What Are You Gonna Do, Stab Me? | Know Your Meme

8 hours ago, Floperator said:

Got to be honest I don't get not wearing full face, to me it's as nuts as not wearing eye pro.

Had enough dental pain and cost in my life that I just don't understand why you would put yourself in a position where you could get your teeth shot out.

Probably an unpopular opinion but I think full face should be compulsory.

Not moaning, when it happened I was more like " Ah well... Lesson learned".

• 2 months later...

Potentially two vying for worst;

1) short range dmr to the adam's apple which choked me causing me to trip head first into a ditch with brambles and nettles in

or 

2) tripping in a sprint and twisting (protect the gun moment) only to land ribs first on a stump, pretty sure I broke/cracked but never got it confirmed

15 minutes ago, Groot said:

I got turned into a newt

I got better 

Fuck! Not much better if your profile picture is anything to go by😉😂😂

1 hour ago, Groot said:

I got turned into a newt

I got better 

Burn'er

I've been lucky so far.  Worst was a close range BB to the eyebrow which bled into my eye.

2 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Burn'er

I've been lucky so far.  Worst was a close range BB to the eyebrow which bled into my eye.

Ouch!

2 hours ago, EDcase said:

Burn'er

Yeah, been there too. Caught one in a tiny gap between the top of the goggles and bottom of the baseball cap. At first I thought it was just the goggles fogging up...

20211205_140216.jpg

I wouldn't play at a site that mandated face pro. I find anything covering my face to be incredibly uncomfortable and distracting. Absolutely more than happy to take the risk.

As for injuries, 2 spring to mind.

First one was I had dislocated an ankle whilst rock climbing during the week. On the Sunday, I bound it up super tight, put my boots on and promised myself I'd 'take it easy', halfway through the day I vaulted over a fence and dislocated my other ankle.

Second was at a tiny cqb site called the body farm. They had a small van with 2 open sliding doors in the play area. I ran and jumped into it and out the other site. Unfortunately I caught my scalp in the top door sill. It peeled a part of my scalp back like the lid on a sardine tin. Had to get stitches and have a bald spot there to this day.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.