Is having this many m4s redundant?

mike223

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I have an old ics m4, lancer tactical gen 1, kwa cqr mod 2, krytac mk1 pdw, G&g cm16, specna edge and a empty vfc vr16 body. I know it’s kinda opinion based but I wanted to know what you guys think.

I got the ics because of the split gb, but it’s currently a project and I keep forgetting about it or i realize I’m missing a part and forget about getting it lol. Or that I’m just a bad tech and idk what I’m doing lol. Seems a little front heavy and it’s front wired.

The lt is my first gun so it’s kinda nostalgic mainly plus it’s very light weight.

The kwa because I hear about how people say the 2gx box is good, kwas are good out of the box untouched. Only problem is certain parts might need to be modified or I can only get a specific part for it to work and no qc spring and it is a heavier ish gun. But so far I haven’t touched anything inside it and I should have a gun I do not touch.

the krytac like the kwa is supposedly loved for being good ootb. Also like the kwa proprietary parts like the gears may be an issue as well, but I can get them kinda cheap from brill armory (yes I’m in the us). Plus this gun seems pretty light and I like the smaller pdw style. 

the g&g I got in a bundle deal but i get attached to things easily haha. It’s probably more durable than the lancer but the lancer has lasted me many years. I guess if I have a choice though or wanna narrow it down this is probably the better choice. Bad thing is again no qc spring guide so I’d have to get a gearbox or take the specna one.

Specna edge is currently on the way so I can’t say much. But I’ve heard the internals are zci oem and are pretty good. Plus a nice qc spring guide. idk about how it feels in the hands though.

the vfc body needs a box, I might take the specna otherwise idk what I’ll use. Externals are very cool, I love the bronze finish. A little worried about damaging or scratching it but it’s used so someone kinda did it for me lol. 

let me know what you all think. Is this too much. What are your favorites or why would you do? 

I think the lancer would be the easiest choice to get the door out because of the cheaper build quality. Beyond that it gets tougher if I wanna narrow down my collection.

I love the vfc externals, the krytac pdw is a pdw so I think it’s cool and it or the kwa can be a gun I don’t touch unless I need to. The ics is a little scuffed up so the externals are alright nothing crazy, the kwa was painted in some spots by the previous owner and it wouldn’t really be my choice and I’d have to probably replace the cracked plastic Lower. Main parts are untouched though.  I can easily replace the pistol grip and stock. Vfc is my favorite externally. G&g is probably the winner for polymer/ lighter bodies if I want one or the krytac possibly and scratch the g&g.

As far as upgrades go idk what I’d be doing. Maybe upgrading things as they go out or just simply replacing them with the same item and doing Basics like bucking/ nub, barrel, motor. Mosfets I don’t absolutely need, but I do have a couple sitting around. A gate titan and one is like a gate merf 3.2 or something similar.

Edited by mike223

For the sake of commodity, it makes sense to have multiple of X platform, you have ONE set of mags, ONE rig and cross compatibility between upgrades and spares (that is a stretch because apart from gearbox specific stuff like tappet plates and mosfets, most guns use the same exact internal components)..

But let's be honest, you don't really need more than two, one long and one short. Maybe a third to keep as a loaner. Most of the times you can get away with a single gun (say 10" barrel) for both woodland and cqb games.

I have two M4s, both in the 9.5/10" range, for tournament purposes (we all use M4s so we can exchange mags). In theory I only need one but then again, if it shits itself I have a spare.

I could use a very short one for cqb but a) I never play CQB and b) I have a King Arms PDW for that, which can be turned into a 5.56 rifle once the proprietary lower dies with a very simple receiver swap.

Once you start having two/three different platforms (say M4, AK and MP5) it becomes a somewhat logistic nightmare because you then need either dedicated rigs or something you can swap inserts/pouches/placards like a Spiritus Systems chassis or one of the latest plate carriers.

I have 6 M4s. In my defence, I have two sons that play as well, so that's a main gun and a spare each.

Three of the M4s are ICS guns in various configurations. I have the flexibility to mix and match parts should one go down, or I want a different setup for Woodland or CQB etc.

Every time I deviate from the M4 platform with another gun type, I find myself wishing it was an M4.

Unlike what some heathens on this thread tell you (looking at you @rocketdogbert 😜) , the correct formula for owning M4s is: N = N+1.

N representing the number of M4s you currently own.

So carry on. 😁

Ahhhh, you guys are talking about sowing machines.

Knock yourselves out, own as many as you like, I don’t care. 🤣🤣🤣

Yessss, buy more.. shovel more money into the industrial fire of polymer m4 bodies and cruddy 6-point stocks.. 😈

In all seriousness, people say that you can just adapt / mod one m4 to suit whatever you need, but sometimes just having multiple is good. Different brands can have different.. Well, everything.. From practical gameplay to just the stereotypes / styles based on or around them.

So no, in my opinion they aren't redundant by any means. Heck, maybe even just keep them in your room on a gun wall as a flex or sorts.. Or just for storage.

The.. uh.. airsoft market (?) is your oyster?
sorry, i tried the pun and failed.

25 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

Ahhhh, you guys are talking about sowing machines.

image.png.1a8b5627a58c103d4da86df4f78b829d.png

6 minutes ago, DerDer said:

Replace one of them with a 416 or a MCX.  Start to slowly wean off the AR platform.

That's hardly 'weaning' though - they are just heavier M4s.

14 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

they are just heavier shittier, more expensive M4s most likely filled with expensive proprietary parts.

FTFY

I think pretty much any non-M4's are inherently cooler, but if I was only allowed one gun to play airsoft with for ever more, it'd be my DE M906C, or something similar to it.  It's just ergonomically so good* and compact (including it's relatively low height profile when aiming over the top of obstacles, or when crawling), it's all-round great.

So I can't really argue against having a collection of them.

* I wish the fire selector was a 90deg version, and a little more positive.

Had a series of M4’s in the past and one is enough. Then I the SCAR H came out finally. Each to their own if you like loads of M4’s.

For themed games I have about a dozen none M4s.  For skirmishing I use my tatty old G&G M4 all the time, with another for back up.  

The ergonomics are spot on.  Its had so many shots through it that I carry a spare motor in my gunbag.  

• Supporters
23 hours ago, rocketdogbert said:

The correct number of M4’s to own is one less than the current number you own, until you reach zero lol

You seem to have misspelled "vector's".

@mike223 For the avoidance of doubt you only need one RIF. As long as you keep it maintained then it's going to be reliable enough for you to enjoy the game on a regular basis.

Of course, if you want more than one then that's fine too. 

Full disclosure - I have three M4's and a MK12 (which is basically an M4 in a frilly dress), three M14's (one long, one short and one in a frilly dress - ie an EBR), two MP5s, a SCAR-L, a G3, an M249 (when my back holds out), a MAC 11, a breacher shotty and an HK45. I used to have an AK but the ergonomics didn't work for me. Logistics isn't an issue if you're prepared to put in a bit of thought or just have a few rigs/placards. Lately I'm favouring the old school stuff that will hold just about any mags.

If you have space in your house and your bank balance can stand it, fill your boots. Just don't get into debt to play toy guns. Be honest with yourself and keep what you like unless you need to either make space or money.

5 hours ago, Lozart said:

Be honest with yourself

best lie 2022.

• Supporters
5 hours ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Damned right. Only masochistic weirdos like those contraptions....😜

is that the one that looks cool in video games but only because video games cant convey the fact that it weighs approximately 19.48 tons?

16 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

is that the one that looks cool in video games but only because video games cant convey the fact that it weighs approximately 19.48 tons?

Still, could be worse.

He could be into AKs with Buffer tubes and M4 stocks.....😜

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.