Heavier BBs, 0.36 to 0.40, Most Cost Effective To Buy In 2022?

Fatboy40

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• 1 month later...

I ran my DMR on .45s and while expensive they went straight and true. So hit count was higher. Especially when you can follow up firing instantly to adjust for a bush or wind.

So 3k of bbs would last me a considerable length of time that i would for the most part take the cost out of it and just stick with my Geoffs.
I have returned to springer now and I wont be going back. Its too easily abused.

Not saying you do but i think the rise of "DMR" players is a little toxic to the game.

DMR spamming is a meta hack for sites that allow it. No one i have seen has ever enforced a delay between shots. I mean how logistically could you. 
They mention it at briefing and then their part is done and off you go. 
So its basically a way to run a 1.88J and cheat the system by going "Full Semi Auto"

image.jpeg.9105d9861e439c1bfdbbf137241fbc43.jpeg

• Supporters
17 minutes ago, Groot said:

Not saying you do but i think the rise of "DMR" players is a little toxic to the game.

1000% agree.  Particularly annoying as I do stick to one-in-the-air, which for DMR ranges means a shot about every 2 seconds, not two or three rounds a second, as far, far too many DMR players do.

Yes, I've reminded other players, yes, I've brought it up with marshals many times, yes, I've pointed out the worst culprits on my own team, but I've never seen anything done about it, at any site, ever, beyond an occasional token reminder at the next brief.  One site toyed with the idea of different coloured chrono tags (not that those ever get checked anyway), or tape around the muzzle, but never followed through.

Me, I'd just bin them off completely, and I say that as an occasional DMR player.  POW airsoft has already done so, and I agree with them on that.

If I ever wanted to "win" at airsoft, I'd go out with my 1.8J+ DMR and spam the hell out of it.  At the very most, I might have to say "Sorry, mate, my bad mate, I forgot, mate" once in a blue moon.

2 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

1000% agree.  Particularly annoying as I do stick to one-in-the-air, which for DMR ranges means a shot about every 2 seconds, not two or three rounds a second, as far, far too many DMR players do.

Yes, I've reminded other players, yes, I've brought it up with marshals many times, yes, I've pointed out the worst culprits on my own team, but I've never seen anything done about it, at any site, ever, beyond an occasional token reminder at the next brief.  One site toyed with the idea of different coloured chrono tags (not that those ever get checked anyway), or tape around the muzzle, but never followed through.

Me, I'd just bin them off completely, and I say that as an occasional DMR player.  POW airsoft has already done so, and I agree with them on that.

If I ever wanted to "win" at airsoft, I'd go out with my 1.8J+ DMR and spam the hell out of it.  At the very most, I might have to say "Sorry, mate, my bad mate, I forgot, mate" once in a blue moon.

I have seen that few times when playing.  No one has really been checking up on it.  

When my stuff is being chronoed I show them that I have a .50 second trigger delay, but again that is not been taken seriously.

It is interesting reading about BB weights for DMR's, I'm currently using .40g, but will check out Geoff's BB's.

Edited by Sneaky

I'm currently considering going up to .36s or even heavier if the m21 will hop them, despite being a 1.1J build (basically, will aim for 1.1J with the heaviest BBs I can lift). I don't spam the trigger and play it like a sniper rifle anyway, but at my local site there just isn't much use for DMRs or sniper rifles as the vegetation gets so thick that a 30m MED becomes a liability and I can rarely take shots over 60m. I've used .32s so far because that's the heaviest before the pricing becomes exponentially more expensive, but we'll see how it goes...

I typically an advocate for "use the heaviest it will hop" outside of loading .48s into your CQB gun or your pistol (looking at you, mk23 owners...)

4 hours ago, Groot said:

Well, I played at Camouflage Airsoft at Alton at the weekend which is a nice wood set venue (all of the greenery hasn't quite grown back yet to its tallest), with both my DMR and AEG, and the results were interesting (and it was a bloody good day out with my son and his cousin).

I ran my DMR with 0.40g BBs, and it was probably shooting the best it has yet for accuracy, but it's still not quite where I want it to be. I was getting bucket loads of hits, and was certainly not playing like a "toxic DMR player", but I think for me at least on that day there was another reason for getting so many hits when I was using it for the morning (and the afternoon was it's own "heavy weight" story). Players on the other team, even those with obviously bank brakingly expensive guns and kit, seemed to forget that the right rifle, whether a DMR or sniper, could have a substantially better range over an AEG so were leaving themselves exposed.

With a DMR and a 3x flip to side I could see them leaving half their body exposed, an arm hanging out from a tree, a head fully exposed, so I just took the shot. To be honest at some of the distances the BB by the time it was approaching them could have been seen by them if the were more observant and dodged. I myself dodged a few incoming shot that were from DMR's and snipers.

What I found most interesting though, from a technical perspective, was the afternoon where I switched to my AEG using 0.28g BBs (normally 0.25g), and what made a big difference was I decided to put the 3x flip to side on the AEG. I could pick a good spot to hide in and the slightly heavier BBs along with the flip to side allowed me to pick off players at a range they just never expected, plus as a site that allowed burst's of auto on AEG's I could pin down an area. I ended up getting massively more kills than I did with my DMR, the 0.28g's helped, however it was the 3x zoom that made all the difference spotting approaching or hiding players.

Long story short, it's the DMR combined with the magnification that's helping me out.

• Supporters

That's reasonable, I switch around guns a lot, and (in woodland with a reasonable amount of cover) an AEG bursting 0.28g bang on the site limit with a 3x42 sight probably is the winr8 sweet spot.

However, if I semi-spammed 0.32g+ out of my scoped DMR (and with 11.1V and a meaty motor, I could), I'd be like unto a god.

I'm tempted to try it, but then I'd be no better than the folk already doing that.

58 minutes ago, Fatboy40 said:

What I found most interesting though, from a technical perspective, was the afternoon where I switched to my AEG using 0.28g BBs (normally 0.25g), and what made a big difference was I decided to put the 3x flip to side on the AEG. I could pick a good spot to hide in and the slightly heavier BBs along with the flip to side allowed me to pick off players at a range they just never expected, plus as a site that allowed burst's of auto on AEG's I could pin down an area. I ended up getting massively more kills than I did with my DMR, the 0.28g's helped, however it was the 3x zoom that made all the difference spotting approaching or hiding players.

Long story short, it's the DMR combined with the magnification that's helping me out.

Liking the sound of that because I've just bought two bottles of .28s to try out on Sunday.

I think magnification is a big deal and I wouldn't be without my facog. Not just because I'm wearing mesh and don't have my prescription glasses so need all the help I can get, but it's just so useful for spotting, and you can walk shots on target even at longer ranges if the light is good and you understand your trajectory.

Totally feasible to play the 'dmr' role without actually running a dmr, it's more a state of mind...

2 hours ago, Floperator said:

Totally feasible to play the 'dmr' role without actually running a dmr, it's more a state of mind...

I actually do damn well with a 350fps bolt action with open sights.  You pick targets and shoot much more thoughtfully.  

5 hours ago, Impulse said:

I'm currently considering going up to .36s or even heavier if the m21 will hop them, despite being a 1.1J build

I thought you already used heavier? It's worth it for sure, they fly so true. And if you're placing shots rather than being a typical assault player you don't need as many. I probably do 1000 shots on a very trigger happy day. 

3 hours ago, Floperator said:

100%. Running heavy ammo and a gun built for accuracy gives you an advantage over a lot of other guns at those extreme ranges. If you can be accurate even when your bbs are dropping off you are functionally out ranging people, despite being technically within range of each other. Add a magnified optic to that and you can pick people off through the tiniest gaps in foliage. Then add a ghillieand you become a total menace to the other team 😂

12 hours ago, Floperator said:

It's the same with sniping. I always say that the roles are more about how you play than the gun you use, especially in airsoft where there is such little difference in performance.

9 hours ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

I actually do damn well with a 350fps bolt action with open sights.  You pick targets and shoot much more thoughtfully.  

Yeahhhh. I've set my spring VSR up for 1.14J (pretty much right on the money) and it's a blast. I use a scope rather than iron sights, but it's a very satisfying way of playing. Also, it's amusing when people start moaning about "sToP POiNt bLAnKiNG wiTh A sNIpEr rIfLe yOu hAVe aN MED!" if you shoot them up close with a 1J boltie.

9 hours ago, Badgerlicious said:

I thought you already used heavier? It's worth it for sure, they fly so true. And if you're placing shots rather than being a typical assault player you don't need as many. I probably do 1000 shots on a very trigger happy day. 

Nah, I always used .32s in the m21 and my spring VSR because it was cost-efficient and they flew pretty damn well. Not sure it can hop .48s (the spring VSR probably can...), but that's the only heavy weight I have at the moment. I think the m21 can hop .4s, but I'd love to see if it can do .43s or .45s. Will try a few .48s again this weekend, as I still have some due to using them in the HPA VSR, and the hop rubber I tried them on before in the m21 was awful anyway, but we'll see what works. It's not the end of the world if I buy ammo the m21 can't use, as I know the spring VSR can handle anything so I'll just feed them through that over time :P

• 2 weeks later...

Had my best experience using my DMR on Sunday. Having a .50 trigger delay felt like an eternity during gaming play (so will reduce that slightly), but I really liked it.  I felt that I made each shot count and therefor a better experience. During the heavy rain, there was only so far I could see my bb before it would disappear, so one of my team mates was acting as a spotter, that was great fun and very immersive.  We even took on other snipers, successfully by working this way.

I love my DMR and the role I do so much more now - got some Geoff bb’s on the way. Roll on Sunday!

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Sneaky said:

Having a .50 trigger delay felt like an eternity during gaming play (so will reduce that slightly)

Rather illustrating my point there, chap.

At the sites I've played which allow DMRs, the rules are either "1 shot per 2 seconds", or "1 in the air", which at DMR ranges effectively means a shot about every two seconds.

You're baulking at limiting yourself to four times that fire rate.

Sites are just kidding themselves about DMRs.

Taking the DMR out this weekend, rebuilt and ready to flick 0.4's. If DMR get's a bit boring I've figured out 80psi will sit me just about right for battle rifle limit so I can get a bit closer and more rapid(er) firing (for the semi only build I have).

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.