Anyone brought a RIF from Spain in airliner?

EDcase

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Yeah given the crazy situation with Taiwangun I have this equally crazy idea to order a RIF and have it sent to family in Spain whom I shall visit in April.

I hope to be able to bring it back as cargo in a flight with Iberia or BritishAirways.  Declared of course and I'm fine paying VAT and duty on it if needed.

Has anyone done something similar?

Any potential pitfalls you can foresee?

Even if its acceptable under the carriers policy you could have issues with site staff not knowing policy. Not me personally but friends on a uk internal flight get held up because of airsoft they had declared and only just made their flight.

There also could be a cost implication in that the carrier may require a real steel gun case with specific locks that could end up being exspensive.

Yeah it does rely on the staff knowledge.

Looking at Iberia and BA (they share flights), there doesn't seem to be anything about replica firearms being banned.  I'm hoping if I take my UKARA card it will help legitimise the toy airsoft claim. 

13 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Yeah it does rely on the staff knowledge.

Looking at Iberia and BA (they share flights), there doesn't seem to be anything about replica firearms being banned.  I'm hoping if I take my UKARA card it will help legitimise the toy airsoft claim. 

They won't distinguish between toy and real (airsoft is low powered air guns). Look at their firearms policy to see where you stand and then phone/email to get confirmation.

You are unlikely to be charged/prosecuted with anything but loss of guns, temporary detention and missed flights are a real possibility.

Edited by BigStew

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.