East of England UKAPU Player Representative

Jacob Wright

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello All!

I’m Jacob Wright, long time user of the forum and airsofter. I have also recently taken on the role of regional player representative for the East of England within UKAPU

I took on this role to support players within my region, and to give them a voice in matters that may effect them. 

Over the course of 2022 I’m hoping to be able to get around as many sites within the region as possible, so that I can meet, listen to and play alongside you. 

That said, I can’t be everywhere at once so would like to invite people to comment here, DM me, or email me on jacob.w@ukapu.org.uk if they have any questions, views, or other requests. 

If I’m not the representative for your region I’m also happy to point you in the right direction, or help where I can. 

As the player representative you will be my priority as far as UK airsoft is concerned, and I will do everything I can to support you. 

For those of you that are UKAPU members, thank you for you support. And for those that aren’t, I’ve included a link to the website if you’d like to check it out!

Finally, apologies for the location of this thread and I’m more than happy for it to be moved if necessary; as a regional topic this was the most appropriate place I could think of!

https://www.ukapu.org.uk/about/member-benefits/

Hi Jacob 

Been a member for many years.

Thanks for the work you and the organisation do to keep airsoft alive and legal.

Regards 

Well done. It all helps with the cause 👍

9 hours ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

Nice work.  What can players in your region do to assist you?  

To be honest it’s more what can I do to assist them. As I’m sure you’ve seen from another thread, there will shortly be a statement of intent with regard to the formation of a national governing body, which will hopefully cause a lot of conversation. 

I want players views, what concerns them and what they want!

A governing body that makes life simpler is what is needed IMHO.  

As someone partially deaf, an acknowledgement of invisible disabilities is needed too.  A mumbled safety brief etc on a windy day, with people chatting, ambient traffic noise etc, is just a panto for me.  I have seen autistic players turn up unacknowledged too.   They WILL freak out at close grenades.  The rest of us need to be told that we need to guide them gently to a quiet spot to calm down.   It only takes a few moments, both to do and explain.  

Sites respond to these kind of concerns pretty well when they are raised, but not everyone is assertive/has confidence to speak up.  

5 hours ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

I have seen autistic players turn up unacknowledged too.   They WILL freak out at close grenades. 

Sorry but I'm going to have to pull you up on that, as a parent of a kid with ASD and having quite a few personality traits of someone on the autistic spectrum. Not every person with ASD will shit themselves and have a meltdown from pyros. What's more likely to cause problems are non hit takers or background noise (eg players talking or a generator running) during a safety briefing due to not being able to filter out background noise. 

Thanks for the points from both of you. 

So, should sites offer the briefing in an accessible format such as one that can be read instead of listened to? Would that help with the issues that you’ve mentioned?

Yes, I think it would also help staff giving the briefing too. I've seen it happen quite a few times where a staff member has been giving the briefing and has forgotten something, only to be reminded by someone else or covered it when asked by a player

I’ve definitely seen a few sites doing similar, I was thinking along the lines of a big A3 poster somewhere in the safe zone that can be read and hopefully understood by anyone. 

I was also considering running for the East/South East/London position after speaking to David for a while. However reading through the rep spec I couldn't deal with the potential public speaking bit. So good luck! 

Also considered Press Officer, but my Grammar isn't all that. 

Edited by Asomodai

If you’re interested then I’d say go for it! We need passionate people to get involved, and there’s nothing to say you couldn’t get somebody to proof read anything before publishing it (as Press Officer). 

45 minutes ago, Jacob Wright said:

If you’re interested then I’d say go for it! We need passionate people to get involved, and there’s nothing to say you couldn’t get somebody to proof read anything before publishing it (as Press Officer). 

I am perfectly fine being just an over opinionated standard member :)

14 hours ago, Cannonfodder said:

Sorry but I'm going to have to pull you up on that, as a parent of a kid with ASD and having quite a few personality traits of someone on the autistic spectrum. Not every person with ASD will shit themselves and have a meltdown from pyros. What's more likely to cause problems are non hit takers or background noise (eg players talking or a generator running) during a safety briefing due to not being able to filter out background noise. 

Apologies, for my sloppy wording.  I was thinking of two kids that I've played with a few times.  It clearly reads like a general comment though.

No worries. If that's how they react to pyros then I can see how that could be a problem, I take it the game organisers took this into account and didn't allow pyros when they were on site? In a similar way to site's not allowing strobes if a player has photosensitive epilepsy 

Nope.  Pyros were allowed, but ear defenders were issued and marshals were informed.  This was after consulting the accompanying adults and kids themselves.  

During the game, it was obvious that proximity was a big factor.  With the ear-pro bangs in the next room were fun, bangs in the same room were NOT fun.  

The kids wanted to play and seemed to understand the risks to the organisers satisfaction.  They were soon calmed and back in the game.

Personally, I would have preferred a no bang rule.  I would not have enjoyed seeing a young one having a really nasty time for two minutes let alone ten because I'd chucked a MKV at them, but not my call.  My concern was that another youngster may take the piss, due to no inclusion of anything in the briefing.   'Some people are really shocked by grenades and get upset.  Please be helpful.  Immediately inform a marshal who should be close to hand, or tell X and Y and Z,' may have done it.  

Are you a biker? They look like biker banditos lol

Yeah know what you mean.

My memory is akin to a goldfish. 😄

3 hours ago, Skullchewer said:

@Jacob Wrightsightly off topic, i just received these in the mail. No idea where they're from but I am waiting on my UKAPU gold membership patches. Is this them? 🤔

IMG_20220305_134844144.jpg

Nope they’re not the UKAPU ones!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.