First day, underwhelmed. Is this what all airsoft events are like?

Baptimus_Prime

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

1st welcome ,

2nd and I also agree its good that you did log on to discuss these problems and not just flounce off in a huff never to return like a lot do ! 

3rd 6-8 games is about average, 1/2hr between games is the top end of waiting time , 1+1/2hr lunch is a piss take .

4th Marshals not knowing what’s going on is a sign of poor site organisation and not acceptable in my opinion .

5th players not moving forward and pushing on to the objective is standard at most open skirmish days BUT the difference is the numbers of players that are/aren’t actively taking part in the gameday .

Unfortunately some sites are just shit and nothing ever will change it(near where I live there’s a cracking good site but I haven’t played there in yrs because it has zero organisation , basically what you’ve described sounds like this site to a T)but most sites you go to it will ebb and flow from wk to wk , one wk it’ll be total apathy the next everyone things their John Wick clearing out the ‘red square’ ! Also you need to factor in the weather , when it’s cold and shity and horrible on the whole the players enthusiasm mirrors it , the weather gets better ? so does the game play ! 
6th as long as you and your mates stick with it I’m 99% sure your experience will improve , having your mates with you will make what would be a crap day on your own a good day with you all there . if you can travel definitely try some other sites as well .

finally I’d just say don’t take this bad experience as the norm(just a shame it was your 1st) give it time and at least wait till the nicer weather comes along to make up your mind about it . 👍

My nearest site (SpecOps) has a fairly limited site in terms of structures (most of them are represented with just sheets of tarpaulin hanging on lines, or tents - I hate to think what the storm has done to it), and now we're in the middle of winter there's quite a lack of vegetation as cover.  The games tend to be simple rolling defences, or bomb plant / defense, or rescue a dummy...  so even the young kids can have a clue what's going on. 

But it's pretty much always good fun, just because the owner and the marshals work together, and try to keep it light and without too much emphasis on being 'competitive'.  So we do get pre-game briefings, and hear who has won at the end.  Static teams get a gentle cajoling to push on (almost all games having infinite respawns that aren't too far to trek back to helps).   Good team efforts or solo runs get mentions in the couple of minutes post-match, and the whole thing rounds off with a "thanks for coming, hope you all enjoyed it" that feels like it comes from the owner's heart.  Or perhaps from his bank manager ;)  
Decent bit of nosh for lunch included too.

There are things I could critique, but by the sounds of it I'm pretty lucky with my local site.  Player numbers are 40-70 and the playing areas kept reasonably tight so at least one of the small number of marshals are always in line of sight.  

So to the OP - stick with it, hopefully you'll find something reasonably close by, don't disregard a site just because it doesn't 'look cool' as it sounds like the quality of the people running the place is the most important thing 

Hey mate, I'll chime in with a quick reply. Pretty much everything has been said already I think. So, I'm a newbie with only 5 session days under me. But thankfully my first day rocked. It was immense fun and ran very well. Least to say got me hooked. Played there 4 times now, and once another site. These 2 sites are both indoors cqb and are polar opposites on how they are run and how they play. But both good IMO. Will use them both. My point is like many have said. There are so many variables that goes into a great, ok and not so good game day. So I'm sure if you play how you want to play you will have great fun. And I've found that these 2 sites are open to suggestions and criticism having talked to owners. They want to know what works and what can improve so go and share your thoughts. It is probably more valuable to them as a first timer than you may think. 

Lastly gear can make a difference its not the be all end all to everyone, but to me it was the fascination of firearms that got me into the hobby. Which is why I went for a GBB. It functions much closer to the real deal but I can shoot people with it for fun in a game of hide and seek. Just know your reason for wanting to play and cater to it.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Baptimus_Prime said:

Funny you say this as the morning brief sucked. I feel bad saying that as the guy giving the brief appeared to be a new member of staff who mumbled and didn't really seem to know what to say without prompting from the marshals.

It's a tough one.  On one hand, airsoft sites are more of a weekend labour of love than a profitable full time business, and it's always tragic when landowners kick sites off after site "owners" have sunk most of their income into developing them.

On the other hand, we are paying customers and there's a certain expectation of a minimum quality of service.  I'd far rather that a site employ a head marshal / chief cat-wrangler who is actually good at and enjoys that role than buying a bunch of props and trinkets.

On the 3rd to 6th hands, everyone's an expert in principle, but it takes a special sort of determined masochist to actually run an airsoft site, so I try not to get too judgey or mental over it.  Maybe give it a 2nd rental in good weather and see if it's improved, it really does come down to the people and the mood on the day.

On 22/02/2022 at 05:39, Baptimus_Prime said:

Why not wield all six like you're some sort of tactical octopus, or a glocktopus if you will.

Hopefully there are all Glocks with interchangeable mags. 😁

But if your name is Soap “It’s faster to switch weapons than reload”. 1st rule of tacticaliness.

I’ve played a few sites as a rental player just for nosy ness. You get an interesting view point. 

My big gripes are unreliable site guns, non intelligible briefings & cliques. The latter two being heavily influenced by the Marshalling quality.

The Head Shed does make a difference if they lack confidence or interest everything else goes felgercarb  quickly. 
  The worst, ie dangerous things I’ve seen at sites were directly down to marshals. I’m talking stupidity with pyro in the safe zone and threats with actual weapons.

CS woodland was close to perfect as a green site. 😭😭😭

Edited by The Waco Kid
Extra crying

On 21/02/2022 at 09:33, Groot said:

I am going to generalise but since covid i have found every site i have been to a little lack luster.  

Our local site.. The late the great Combat South ( pours drink ) closed. So we have tried lots of other sites and have not yet found one we would go back to regularly.

We have had some fun, don't get me wrong. Sadly the effort most sites seem to be putting OR equally the lack of staff they seem to have these days seems fairly noticeable. 

I am no Combat South fan boy ( Love you Russ ) . They had some games that didn't work and honestly most weekends were a rinse and repeat of tried and test scenarios.  But it was always delivered to a high standard, the marshal's were visible and engaged. They also provided a high quality lunch. (Which i do not understand why other sites who are now charging upwards of £25 a person, do not provide something so basic. Well not without an additional fee. Tight asses)

I am hoping that as Covid fucks off, that competition for players returns and the the sites start upping their effort. 

Or i'm just jaded and overly entitled....

Or due to the great sites being lost to housing developers that the glory days of airsoft are dead.

Or because today's airsofter seems to be weak, whiny and scared of being drilled full auto.

Or its the speed softers fault. 

.......... it is speed softers fault

Every single time I go airsofting I miss Combat South 😫 The first woodland site I ever played and still the best, four years later. As you said @Grootextremely well run, engaged marshalls and generally a great bunch of players on a superb site.

@Baptimus_Primeas many others have pointed out, everyone has bad days, no matter the site. The things you state that you want to get out of a skirmish are not unreasonable. Stick with it, play in a whatever way you want to as long as you find it fun, and don't worry too much about how other people are playing. You say you went with mates, so that's a great way to get your own little strike team going to achieve the objectives. 

As long as you don't look back on the day and think you wasted your time, it's a decent airsoft day. If you look back and smile, laugh or feel a tingle in your funzone, it's been a great airsoft day.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to pour out a little liquor for Combat South. RIP 🙏 

6 minutes ago, C-Diddy said:

As long as you don't look back on the day and think you wasted your time, it's a decent airsoft day. If you look back and smile, laugh or feel a tingle in your funzone, it's been a great airsoft day.

This. 
I hadn’t played for a covid while, first game back; one gun too hot, second; hop just sucked and some games a little speedsoft for my liking. Got several pistol kills, including two double taps in a row swiftly followed by sweet defensive position hitting me square in the face and drawing blood. 
fuck I love airsoft. Great day, great memories. On to the next. 

I honestly don't think I have ever had a bad airsoft day.

I go with no expectations so am not disappointed with my performance. I'm crap all the time lol.

For me it's an escape from the hum drum week in week out work. I can get myself dressed up,put a load of guns in the car and go. I often think as I'm driving that the people in other cars have no idea of the terrorist toolkit I'm toting lol.

It would be interesting to get stopped by the fuzz on a game day just to see their reactions.

But win or lose I enjoy every minute. I may not get dozens of kills and I will get some battle injuries but I'll shoot a lot of puddles on the long and frequent walks back to respawn.😀

Regards 👍 

7 minutes ago, Shamal said:

but I'll shoot a lot of puddles on the long and frequent walks back to respawn.

THAT never gets old…👍

Edited by SBoardley

Pretty much agree with everything already said.

some sites are run better than others and even the good ones have bad days.

sometimes it’s the marshals not being massively into it and other is when you get a group or groups who just want to d*ck around.

both my local sites are generally well run and even with a large bunch of rentals the regulars tend to offer advice and support.

that said I have had some days where no one really seemed to be feeling it BUT I was still out running around and pewing people which for me is half the fun.

Can't agree more with what people say about finding a good site. Been to quite a few and I would say I have my best days at a local smaller site which is more aimed at being more family friendly. You get a wider range of players, marshaling is stricter on resolving troublemakers and more likely to see a familiar face. I have recently decided to go to this site more often than the other larger site that I have been going to before. 

The main site I was going to before was fun but eventually it got tiring with people taking it way too seriously, causing arguments (I was physically assaulted and the site did nothing to resolve the situation other than asking the assaulter to calm down as he goes there frequently) and having the whole "money" attitude. 

Sites seem to go through “phases”. Often change or loss of key management, let’s be honest all airsoft sites are small operations, has a huge impact.

Over time players/regulars grow up and move, looking for something else. This also changes the feel of the smaller “club” type game sites.

I have memories of some great times at early very amateur sites where everyone was involved. Lots of fun but some horror stories too and I wouldn’t take my children to them if they were running now. 

Much as I might resent some developments there have been/are operators that needed a kick up the arse on basic safety and service.

• 4 weeks later...

Viper strike Dundee

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.