Gauss guns are here, and they're airsoft legal!

Rogerborg

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

By which I mean, 75 m/s / 250 fps.  Sure, that's hucking a massive steel cylinder slug (63% more bullet per bullet), but it's under 350fps so that's site legal, Reddit said so. ;)

Ian McCollum / Gun Jesus has been having a play.

Bit of a chat about them:

And at the (point-blank) range.

A lot of the fun is playing the game of "Well, if I made one, and I could, I'd make it better in this, that and the other ways...".  Since they're smoothbores, not spinning the slugs, and there seems to be a hard 75m/s limit on the velocity, using steel BBs than tumbling cylinders seems like an obvious tweak.

One interesting point from the chat is that the "barrel" is just there to stop the slugs from smashing into the coils, so arguably you could fling 100J of undersized "unbarreled" steel while saying "not a firearm". 🤔

• Rogerborg changed the title to Gauss guns are here, and they're airsoft legal!
  • Supporters

wtf-is-that-wtf.gif

• Supporters
56 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

also inb4 someone tries to fire a gyrojet round out of one

But nobody would or could do that except for some sort of historical firearms buff with access to rare... wait...  ohhhhh.

Ian has apparently used this amazing abomination at an actual firearms match - I can't wait to see how brilliantly terrible the results are.

• Supporters
4 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

But nobody would or could do that except for some sort of historical firearms buff with access to rare... wait...  ohhhhh.

taofledermaus? theyre the only ones afaik in modern times who've had access to og gyrogets and more importantly the ammo.

although afaik there is someone working on doing a modern repro.

5 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Ian has apparently used this amazing abomination at an actual firearms match - I can't wait to see how brilliantly terrible the results are.

yeah that's gonna be an interesting video.

tbh though, there's still quite aways to go before this becomes practical as a replacement for good ol' gunpowder. no doubt regardless of how fast/slow development happens anything that launches projectiles at that rate will be receiving the banhammer for anywhere outside of america.

• Supporters
10 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

there's still quite aways to go before this becomes practical as a replacement for good ol' gunpowder

I do like how the manufacturer is very clear that these are early prototypes, and they're about the least practical way of murderising someone imaginable at the moment.  However, they exist, they "work" (about 4 shots out of 10) and they're actually selling them, so kudos for that.

Legislation is going to be a pickle for the various fun sponges out there, and I imagine the AFT ATF is frantically coming up with ways to define and ban them just on general principle.  Over here, they clearly fall under lethal barrelled firearms, so it's FAC or nothing.

• Supporters

Tech fail, but fun on the range was had.  They also have a carbine sized version that looks almost back-garden friendly, for "inaccurate tumbling cylinders of steel" definitions of "friendly".

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.