Ares Keltec RDB

Zaxxon

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I played my first Airsoft game in November and was very quickly hooked. I originally wanted an SA80 rep but I was not overly happy with the fit and feel. I ended up with an Ares Keltec RDB as the balance, weight and fit into the shoulder felt excellent and very natural.

Since purchase I have made a few mods to it.

Piccatinny rails to the foregrip.
Dremelled out the inside of the foregrip to accept a bigger battery.
Fabricated and fitted a rear sling fixing so I could use an SA80 sling
SHS High Torque Motor
Maxx Pistonhead (waiting for delivery of a Max cylinder & cylinder head
Maxx nozzle
ZCI 6.02 barrel (taped to remove movement inside the outer barrel) and Purple Prom bucking
SHS M100 spring

So far I am very happy with it, all working well and quite accurate with good range. Although I will always be chasing more accuracy and range. I am not fussed about RPS as our main site is single shot only.

Next up is a Krytac SPR that I have most of the internal upgrades ready to install, just waiting for a couple of parts that should arrive soon so I can begin work.

IMG_0160.thumb.jpg.bf5b761c7f66bfe19032fcbd8f8c8d16.jpg

IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

IMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0166.jpg

IMG_0167.jpg

Edited by Zaxxon
Spelling

5 minutes ago, strykerles said:

that's an interesting looking gearbox. Do you have to put it back together with the motor in place?

Yes you do, it fits in a cage. Some of the ease of access with the gun could do with improvement. There is a mod to make access to the hop adjustment. I have done this to this gun and also my wifes. It helps a lot.

• Supporters

Have to ask , why did you ‘up-grade’ the internals so soon ? Was their a problem with yours ? I had a go of one last October and I thought it was outstanding , it was untouched internally about the only thing you could say about it was it had had several thousands rd’s through it so it was well bedded in .

• Supporters

Handled a real one in Vegas a couple of weeks back and it does seem fun I have to say, decently ergonomic controls and I like the look; though the plastic may well be matched by the airsoft version.  Nice set of mods.

On 05/02/2022 at 22:18, Druid799 said:

Have to ask , why did you ‘up-grade’ the internals so soon ? Was their a problem with yours ? I had a go of one last October and I thought it was outstanding , it was untouched internally about the only thing you could say about it was it had had several thousands rd’s through it so it was well bedded in .

No real reason, I like tinkering with things. Both my wife’s and my guns were great out of the box. The sites we play at do skirmish and film sim. For film sim, sometimes we are looking for a bit more reach. Seeing as the Keltec has a longer barrel (450mm) than my SPR (416mm) that I am modding to DMR, I thought it would be interesting to see if I could get some better range and accuracy from the Keltecs (although at less fps).

So far so good, learning by my mistakes etc. But really enjoying airsoft, modding and spending too much money. :)

Edited by Zaxxon

On 05/02/2022 at 18:18, Zaxxon said:

Maxx Pistonhead (waiting for delivery of a Max cylinder & cylinder head

Do they have a cylinder head that'll line up properly with the offset nozzle?

Also, if you ever take off the wrong side of the fire selector and lose the metal ball bearing that makes it click into place due to being a fat handed twat, you'll want a 2mm one as a replacement.

Sincerely,

a fat handed twat

1 hour ago, noctu said:

Do they have a cylinder head that'll line up properly with the offset nozzle?

Also, if you ever take off the wrong side of the fire selector and lose the metal ball bearing that makes it click into place due to being a fat handed twat, you'll want a 2mm one as a replacement.

Sincerely,

a fat handed twat

Bugger, I’ll have to have another look at the cylinder head. 

I may need to cancel that order.

It's worth a look in the cylinder if you haven't already - the cylinder and head are welded together on these to make a single unit, and there's a shock absorbing pad at the end of it that on mine had left a bit of material in the nozzle that needed poking out.

Interested to know if you do find a potential replacement though, I've not actually measured it up to go looking!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.