Modernising a 17-year-old Marui G36C

Sifu Steve

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

She still works reliably but she's underpowered. The only internal upgrade I've done is a 6.03mm barrel (that runs the length of the silencer) and she's chronoing at 275-285. I'd like to put another 50-60 on that.

With the gun being so old and me just getting back into the hobby, I'm a little lost on where to start. How interoperable are designs now? If I follow a Cyma guide, will everything referenced there be suitable for my OG36 without exploding it?

Cheers in advance.

Steve

• Supporters
4 hours ago, Sifu Steve said:

She still works reliably but she's underpowered.

So... just like a brand new Tokyo Marui? ;) 

OK, honest answer, I don't know, I only play with vendor-trash guns.

From what I've gleaned by anecdote, CYMAs and similar are inspired by TMs, but with some exceptions (AEPs, which seem to be a straight clone) they're engineered to be a bit more... agricultural.  Given that stock CYMAs tend to shoot at 1.5J (400fps) and stock TMs at 0.72J (280fps) you can see why just dropping a bigger spring into a TM might not work out too well.

I'll await the word from the TM massive, but personally I'd start with just lubing the heck out of the o-rings, shim and lube the gears, and maybe switch to an o-ring nozzle if it doesn't have one. Oh, and a Maple Leaf bucking, but that won't help with muzzle energy.

That said, I'd be surprised and disappointed if (e.g.) an M100 spring could wreck a V3 style gearbox, they've got a bit more meat on them than V2s.

Tbh that fps looks about right for a TM. I'd be wary of trying to do upgrades as you might let all the magic fairy dust that give TMs their range out

1 hour ago, Cannonfodder said:

Tbh that fps looks about right for a TM. I'd be wary of trying to do upgrades as you might let all the magic fairy dust that give TMs their range out

Yeah, seconded as my TM AK47 isn't feeding well on full auto after its 'upgrades'.   

If it's your only gun then my advice is to use it until it breaks (which might be a while), and concentrate on getting closer to the enemy (decent camo / fieldcraft)

If you've got a reliable back-up, or don't mind paying for a rental on the day if it doesn't work, good luck :)

(Good excuse to re-use an old pic)

image.png.cb3e7432fa97b3a1347ac64ddaac65fc.png

I'm definitely getting a theme - if ain't broke, don't try and upgrade it. 😄

I've got fair few others, so it's not my only gun... but is my favourite gun. I just felt with all my new acquisitions, she might be getting jealous. It stung when, at my son's first game, his Double Eagle M89 (UMP) chronoed at 300fps and mine, a weathered 270-280. His reaction was golden:

"What does that mean Daddy?"

"It means your pokey little gun can shoot further than mine bud."

"Don't worry Daddy... I'll cover you while you get closer. You did say you like doing that leapard crawl thing."

Little sh*t. 😆

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.