Repairing old air pistol - Weihrauch HW 70

casparov

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello,

I noticed some component fell out of its place in this old gun that I got from my grandfather, any help would be greatly appreciated.

It seems the spring and ball fell out, but its very hard to put them back, the spring seems quite tough. When I naively put it all in place and try to lock the barrel, it jams. Should they be glued somehow? Not quite understanding the mechanism/whats wrong . .

hmm.jpg

• Jedi_Master changed the title to Repairing old air pistol - Weihrauch HW 70

I think that there should be a thick steel washer that sits over the detent bearing.  The washer lets the bearing stick out just a little.  With no washer it pops free, and if closed, it will push to far out of its hole to allow the thing to break open easily.  

These people can help for spares:  https://www.gunspares.co.uk/products/24569/HW70/

Try AirgunBBS and Weihrauch owners club for advice.  

If those are decent quality antique Bulldog pellets I'd keep them not shoot them.  

10 hours ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

I think that there should be a thick steel washer that sits over the detent bearing.  The washer lets the bearing stick out just a little.  With no washer it pops free, and if closed, it will push to far out of its hole to allow the thing to break open easily.  

These people can help for spares:  https://www.gunspares.co.uk/products/24569/HW70/

Try AirgunBBS and Weihrauch owners club for advice.  

If those are decent quality antique Bulldog pellets I'd keep them not shoot them.  

Big thanks sir, that makes a lot of sense. Cheers !!

• 5 months later...

Weihrauch U.K. do have brilliant aftersales care; they offer spares and a repair service. They sold me a lot of spares for my 80s air rifle which hadn’t been fired in 20 years. They aren’t the cheapest though, but at least you know it will be fixed properly.

• 4 weeks later...
On 23/01/2022 at 16:48, casparov said:

Hello,

I noticed some component fell out of its place in this old gun that I got from my grandfather, any help would be greatly appreciated.

It seems the spring and ball fell out, but its very hard to put them back, the spring seems quite tough. When I naively put it all in place and try to lock the barrel, it jams. Should they be glued somehow? Not quite understanding the mechanism/whats wrong . .

hmm.jpg

The end stop for the detent is missing.

You would really be best taking it to a gunsmith and having it sent back to Hull Cartridge, the UK supplier and repair shop for Weihrauch.

Also as a note on pronunciation, many people calle them "Viar-ark" when they are pronounced "Vee-rau" ;)

On 03/08/2022 at 16:31, Floperator said:

Not sure I'd trust Hull Cartridge with it, they don't exactly have the best reputation in the airgun community. Find a good airgunsmith.

They're the official Weihrauch vendors and repairs shop.

12 hours ago, AirSniper said:

They're the official Weihrauch vendors and repairs shop.

I am aware.

I am also aware that up until quite recently they would just angle grind off the ends of mainsprings when respringing import airguns for the UK market, without collapsing the end coil or grinding it flat. More than one person has fired half a tin of pellets through a brand new gun, only to open it up and find the inside of the piston torn up to fuck because of the sharp point left on the spring.

Anyone who would do that to an airgun is a know-nothing cunt that I wouldn't trust to service a nerf gun.

16 hours ago, Floperator said:

I am aware.

I am also aware that up until quite recently they would just angle grind off the ends of mainsprings when respringing import airguns for the UK market, without collapsing the end coil or grinding it flat. More than one person has fired half a tin of pellets through a brand new gun, only to open it up and find the inside of the piston torn up to fuck because of the sharp point left on the spring.

Anyone who would do that to an airgun is a know-nothing cunt that I wouldn't trust to service a nerf gun.

... and if that is the case, trading standards is there for your protection.

The alternative is to take it to a gunsmith that works in house. 

My sons HW57 still diesels and had to go back because the dieseling got so bad on it that it turned a 12ft lb in to an 8ft lb rifle, Hull Cartridge did the repair work and I paid £15 for a minor repair that was the result of the underlever snapping back hard as it slipped out my hand when cocking it. The main problem was repaired, they covered the courier charges to them and back. I had no issue with the service.

How long ago was that incident with your rifle?

I have headed off any incidents with my own HW airguns before they happen by immediately stripping them down, fettling and relubing. Prior to 2016 I would order them direct from Germany along with an export spring, thus avoiding any problems with Hull Cartridges ham-fisted gunsmithing.

Though their QC is on a downward curve (as attested by the off centre front sight dovetail on my HW30s) HW airguns are still mostly well designed and extremely easy to strip down and work on yourself, no reason to get into sending them off to anyone if you are even slightly mechanically capable.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.