Heads up - proposed changes in Highway Code alert

AirSniper

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

The changes in the highway code and legislation to back it up... pay attention as you could end up being fined.

Edited by Jedi_Master
Changed click bait title

• Jedi_Master changed the title to Heads up - proposed changes in Highway Code alert

The fact of the changes will allow those types to give the new legislation a go and not bother with looking and I expect a few people to get run over.

15 hours ago, Tommikka said:

Though the video you posted states the

fact that the ‘new rules’ are exactly how people should be driving anyway

Don’t run over pedestrians

Don’t crash into the vehicle in front 

Don’t make any manouvre that relies on the actions/inactions of others

Drive defensively, pay attention and exercise hazard perception 

I know that has always been the case of looking out for pedestrians and pedestrians had the care of duty to other road users to check that the road is clear before crossing.

I can foresee a number of idiots taking this new rule to the extreme to then make false claims against drivers.

A DASH camera is no more important than ever before...

The point I was making initially was that there is always someone who will try something, I been around far too long to have seen the same tricks pulled time and time again and this is only going to lead to insurance claims and prosecutions and people being run over and taking their chances with joining the harp farm.

4 hours ago, AirSniper said:

I know that has always been the case of looking out for pedestrians and pedestrians had the care of duty to other road users to check that the road is clear before crossing.

I can foresee a number of idiots taking this new rule to the extreme to then make false claims against drivers.

A DASH camera is no more important than ever before...

The point I was making initially was that there is always someone who will try something, I been around far too long to have seen the same tricks pulled time and time again and this is only going to lead to insurance claims and prosecutions and people being run over and taking their chances with joining the harp farm.

But if you give way to a pedestrian at a crossing or at the point of a junction then they won’t be able to chance it by jumping in front of you as per previous  wording to guess their intent of ‘about to cross’ 

So basically don't drive like a dick and you'll be fine. 

As for idiots deliberately jumping out in front of traffic, let them. It'll thin out the herd by removing the terminally stupid

• Supporters

It's gonna be a literal minefield, in addition to the idiots that already step out without paying attention, there will be a criminal element looking to make a financial killing, not forgetting the car drivers who are out to make claims on rear end shunts, a well placed mate on the kerbside & overzealous braking on their part, I can literally see a car full of people all getting out holding their necks etc 😏

Yep, definitely time to invest in a dashcam 🤔

• 5 weeks later...

These new rules have issues already that one Youtuber, a barrister has pointed out, the people with assistance dogs, then I posted a comment about the visually impaired and blind who have no assistance dogs as well as drivers who have literally the minimum vision to be able to drive... 

Last week I had to put in to practice the new junction rule, nearly had the car behind me rear end me.

I always thought the line about “imminently about to cross” at zebra crossings was quite subjective.

There is a one on my route to work with a good 200-300m visibility leading up to it on. There are pretty severe speed bumps too, so most vehicles will be going relatively slowly.

I fairly often see someone waiting at the crossing, waiting for a vehicle to drive up and stop before starting to cross… When even an asthmatic tortoise had time to do it before the car got there. 🙄

Do not ride across equestrian crossings, as they are for horse riders only. Do not ride across a pelican, puffin or zebra crossing. Dismount and wheel your cycle across.
Law TSRGD regs 33(2) & 36(1)

A couple of years ago a near me a car jumped the lights and hit a cyclist who hadn’t dismounted when crossing. Car driver got away with it as cyclist deemed equally at fault.

I’m in two minds on this one as driver should have been more careful especially close to a school gate.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.