Sight

snuff

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm looking to add red dot sights to my Krytac but am unsure which ones.I guess it's personal choice but any advice or mild banter would be appreciated.I've had some on other AEG's but never used them,as I'm getting older/slower I need to change something.From what I understand I have 3 choices as pictured,I like the first Tubular reflex with the high rise rail built in so if it comes down to personal choice it will be them.Any reasons to discount them and re-consider the others appreciated.Thanks.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Hey Snuff,

I've got one of each and I can say that the middle one is the easiest and clearest to use.

The others obscure the target somewhat and if they're not magnified it reduces their effectiveness.

If you do look for a magnified one I would suggest not going over 2x 

Option 2 is the one I've just bought, it is quite compact (compared to my chunky Kobra) which can be a positive or a negative depending on your preference.…

It's nicely made and has a set of clean sharp reticles.  

3 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Option 2 is the one I've just bought, it is quite compact (compared to my chunky Kobra) which can be a positive or a negative depending on your preference.…

It's nicely made and has a set of clean sharp reticles.  

Thanks,I've used them on air rifles years ago,but with lower face pro I'm guessing I'll need riser rail.

There is another thread on this forum I've literally updated at the same time, about face pro and the exact same sight 🤣

1 hour ago, EDcase said:

Hey Snuff,

I've got one of each and I can say that the middle one is the easiest and clearest to use.

The others obscure the target somewhat and if they're not magnified it reduces their effectiveness.

If you do look for a magnified one I would suggest not going over 2x 

Exactly my experience.  

• Supporters

The issue with open dots (option 2) is when its raining you get just one drop in the emitter and say goodbye to the dot. Ofc that depends on your site and personal play choices as to wether or not you care about rain.

I'm also not a fan of that particular style in terms of the way the adjustment is setup that it can be knocked off zero. Easy enough to push back against the stops but thats after you've missed.

Yes the enclosed tubes are more obstructive, but with an unmagnified dot you just keep both eyes open and it'll mostly ghost the frame. Closer it is to your eye as well will help keep the field of view nice and wide.

Yeah I should have said I've not skirmished mine yet, just tried it out on all my guns, with my face pro on.

The rain thing I'd never thought about tbh.  I've played a couple of times in light rain with my Kobra, and that wasn't affected, but then thats Russian real-steel for you, it's designed to survive nuclear war, and the consequent cockroach takeover of the world 🤣.   The £25 'Amazon special' might not be quite so capable in bad conditions!

• Supporters
8 hours ago, Stevobeavo said:

Adjusts in both horizontal and vertical axis, each colour has 5 brightness settings and cost about £15 from eBay.

ran one of them on a jg ak for a long time, no parallax but it's still impressive that they can put together a usable sight for £15.

I'd recommend option 1 or option 3 on a riser, I'd generally advise against option 2. 

Re option 2 there are a couple of reasons I'd advise against, the main one being how exposed the glass is. Over the years I have seen dozens, if not more of them smashed and cracked from bbs strikes with regular comments of "I only put that on there the other day" (or similar). Adding protection against bbs isn't as straight forward as options 1 and 3. Add in the rain issues and I'd recommend staying away. There will be people who have run them for ages, but they seem to have a higher destruction rate than the others. 

Option 1 is a good solid foundation but not the most operator looking (it's a clone of an older aimpoint), option 3 is a clone of a more modern aimpoint and is generally paired with a mount or riser (such as the cool Unity tactical fast mounts, clones are available) which is not only a cool modern look, but also really helps with body posturing while playing and using the optic while wearing a mask. While the look might not be that important now, you might (might not obviously) get into more milsim, operator larp etc impression stuff and it's more likely to help you avoid having to buy another optic at that point. 

Both  1 and 3 are pretty easy to add a poly carb lens (Screw fix do some poly carb safety goggle for about £1.50 that provide enough to cover 2-3 optics) and rain is much less of an issue as well. 

Just my 2 cents worth. 

I'd agree the design of option 2 is inherently more likely to break.  
I bought it entirely for the fact it's the Coyote sight in Battlefield 4 and I want to replicate the look of my in-game gun.

You can reduce (hopefully remove) the chance of a shattered lens from a BB hit by adding one of these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294313449017

Which I think integrates very nicely...

image.png.cdbe5d1c49fa2055bfabbb47aae6c1d8.png

Buy yeah, the big lens frame sticking out like that isn't going to take any heavy impact as well as the others.

(I wish I'd straightened the QR lever, now this photo has appeared in multiple threads, it's triggering my OCD ;))

Edit: Whilst looking for option 3 on ebay, I did find option 2 at £15, posted from the UK.
Just in case you're interested.  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255274969603

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

1 hour ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

You can reduce (hopefully remove) the chance of a shattered lens from a BB hit by adding one of these

That is easily the best protection and best looking protection I've seen for that type of optic. Quite impressed!

Personally I'm really not a fan of the look of that optic at all, but don't let that put you off it if it's the favourite as I can be a grumpy old man at the best of times! If we all like the same stuff the world would be very dull. 

• Supporters

i forget that folk actually put protectors on their lenses.

unless it's a simple case of popping in a disc of polycarb into the existing housing i just run them plain and accept that at some point they're gonna get shot out.

in fairness, i've only lost 2 optics to hits, one was funnily enough option 2 during a night game (had the thing for years before it took an unlucky hit) and the other was a repro eotech took a bb as i was shooting out a window (again after being used for years)

Actually I think SteavoBeavo's setup looks particularly good. As I said, my choice is down to replicating the look of my Battlefield 4 gaming setup... 
I've got very nearly 50,000 in-game kills with the F2000 now, it's my favourite gun in the game.  L85A2 comes in second, I'll have to get one of those eventually. 
The 'Coyote' sight is often the player's choice of red dot in BF4 just because it has such a thin surround to the lens that it blocks less of the peripheral view than any of the other sights, and therefore gives a small (but useful) advantage. 

My other fave in-game sight was the Kobra, but while the open T-reticle in the game looks nice, I found it doesn't encourage the same accuracy in aiming as a plain dot.
I'm  lucky I bought the Kobra back when I first started airsoft, they seem to be super-expensive now.

Historical aside:  I bought one of the early red dot sights, the SinglePoint, for my BSA Meteor when I was a kid.  It was really designed for shotguns I think.  There was no view through the tube, it was a massive red dot for the right eye, and you saw the target with your left.   I could just about hit tin cans with it, but it was useless for an air rifle.  Sent it back to the dealer.
https://shootery.blogspot.com/2010/07/moldy-oldie-review-singlepoint-sight.html

11 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

i forget that folk actually put protectors on their lenses.

unless it's a simple case of popping in a disc of polycarb into the existing housing i just run them plain and accept that at some point they're gonna get shot out.

I've got polycarb discs wedged into the front of my old Tasco scope, and my Kobra.  Polycarb is pretty much unbreakable as I understand it, unlike the Lexan type sheet that gets used on the sacrificial lens protectors on eBay.

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

• Supporters
2 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

I've got polycarb discs wedged into the front of my old Tasco scope, and my Kobra.  Polycarb is pretty much unbreakable as I understand it, unlike the Lexan type sheet that gets used on the sacrificial lens protectors on eBay.

Lexan IS polycarbonate. It's a trade name not a different kind of plastic!

34 minutes ago, Lozart said:

Lexan IS polycarbonate. It's a trade name not a different kind of plastic!

Oops!    I meant whatever the cheap crap is that shatters easily... plexiglass... is that what I meant? 

10 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Historical aside:  I bought one of the early red dot sights, the SinglePoint, for my BSA Meteor when I was a kid. 

I remember those.  I didn't know how they worked at all.  Now I know I'm glad I never got one!  Bloody hell, imagine the disappointment on Christmas morning.

Red_Dot_Engineering do custom sight protectors for less than a tenner.  Same people on E -Bay that do that ultra neat slip on one.   I'm just ordering one for my '70s Sterling 4x40 TV screen lensed 'wideview' if you remember those.  Another silly '70s fashion.  

1 hour ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

I remember those.  I didn't know how they worked at all.  Now I know I'm glad I never got one!  Bloody hell, imagine the disappointment on Christmas morning.

Red_Dot_Engineering do custom sight protectors for less than a tenner.  Same people on E -Bay that do that ultra neat slip on one.   I'm just ordering one for my '70s Sterling 4x40 TV screen lensed 'wideview' if you remember those.  Another silly '70s fashion.  

Yes, I do!  I lusted after one of those (for no good reason).

I ended up with a BSA Reflex sight to go alongside my Viking 4x32.
image.png.6dc05be04e834495057f971134b4f876.png

(not my pic, but I still have the sight, with half the mount missing)

That reflex sight was actually pretty decent for plinking at cans at 30-40yds, but I always reverted to the scope on my occasional pigeon hunts.

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

I can't remember reflex sights that long ago.  Must have been out of my price range (most things were).

The third style of red dot that Snuff asks about are not great in low light unless you go silly money.  The coating on the lens cuts some parts of the light spectrum in order to work clearly.  This apparently is what makes them give poor light transmission.  

Sorry for the poor tech explanation, but it was explained to me by someone who clearly overestimated my knowledge of physics.  

I had a Hawke one that was crap past dusk even with a Ledray 6.

6 hours ago, EDcase said:

The most important thing being...

It looks cool 😁

You know ED..see you soon I hope....

Edited by snuff

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.