TM Hi Capa 5.1 D.O.R. ... any opinions?

RostokMcSpoons

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm looking again for a pistol to replace my HFC M9 that's not running very well... 

My current preferred option is some sort of TM hi capa, and the D.O.R. looks to be the best, I like the looks, and it has an improved hop up unit and the 15mm BBU. 

image.png.8a0c24cdf8097a3f05194a3c77a40034.png

There's a downside that the usual hi capa upgrade parts within the slide aren't compatible, but I'm not intending to change the internals.

The alternatives are the standard black hi capa, and the px4 (which gets great reviews but I'm not so sold on the looks)

I know at least a couple of people here ( @The captain@Musica ) have owned the D.O.R.  I'd just like to hear if it has been reliable and accurate, and for bonus points, if it's actually usable in our cold months?

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

I just bought one of those last week and out of the 30 odd pistols I have this one shoots by far the best in terms of grouping. Gas efficiency I got 4 mags out of a single charge of gas in the garage. So it was somewhere between 5 and 10 degrees. Nothing else I have will do this bar the Mk23. Haven't tried it at long range yet but it'll hop a. 28 fine. A 0.3 seemed to fly flat but I could not overhop it. I've had tm pistols before but not a hi capa. Genuinely impressed by this pistol. The trigger is quite light but no too light and it's very predictable. I got the tm

Rmr on this which hold zero - at least for now. 

30 pistols!!!  Wow, I don't think I'd still be married if my obsession enjoyment of airsoft went that far :)
Well that's great to hear its so immediately impressive 

How is the red dot sight? 

I had no real intention to buy one to go with it, as £60 seemed a bit steep for a polymer body sight, but I did notice the spec says the lens is bb-proof (300fps is quoted, I guess that means with 0.20g), which is pretty useful.   So never say never...

It's probably quite a small collection compared to a lot of people here - and my wife hasn't found it yet...

The rmr it just the same as any other red dot really, but it's not been shot at yet so I can't say how bullet proof it is. But the TM Dor has very specific mounts. I read on here a sig romeo 5 will also fit (double check that before buying though). I wonder if you could get a romeo clone for cheaper than the TM as £60 is a lot considering what else is out there. 

A quick supplementary question...

Does it have a lanyard loop at the base of the backstrap? 
(I'm haunted by the poor chap at my site losing his gold hi-capa, I'd definitely want it on a leash ;))

They do/did make hammer spring housings with lanyard attachment but finding somewhere that stocks them is another question. I assume this will fit the DOR but like you already mention some bits on this hi capa are not standard

https://airsoft.tiger111hk.com/p21616/5KU-Metal-Hammer-Spring-Housing-For-Marui-Hi-Capa-5.1(Black)/product_info.html

41 minutes ago, Daveoc33 said:

They do/did make hammer spring housings with lanyard attachment but finding somewhere that stocks them is another question. I assume this will fit the DOR but like you already mention some bits on this hi capa are not standard

https://airsoft.tiger111hk.com/p21616/5KU-Metal-Hammer-Spring-Housing-For-Marui-Hi-Capa-5.1(Black)/product_info.html

Oh that's cool... I think everything on the lower is the same except for the extended slide release catch and different trigger.  So there's a fairly good chance it'd fit.

Bit pricey though, and as you say - out of stock.  

8 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

A quick supplementary question...

Does it have a lanyard loop at the base of the backstrap? 
(I'm haunted by the poor chap at my site losing his gold hi-capa, I'd definitely want it on a leash ;))

In the first game of airsoft that I played I picked up two pistols during one rush to the objective.  Both flew from holsters in the first 50 yards.  I was worried that I would not be able to mark where that fell very well as we were running, so ended up with one in each hand.

With my hands full I couldn't use my flaming rifle.  Eventually handed back both to their owners with a complaint about mag capacity.  

Every pistol that I own has a lanyard fitted...

11 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

I'm looking again for a pistol to replace my HFC M9 that's not running very well... 

My current preferred option is some sort of TM hi capa, and the D.O.R. looks to be the best, I like the looks, and it has an improved hop up unit and the 15mm BBU. 

image.png.8a0c24cdf8097a3f05194a3c77a40034.png

There's a downside that the usual hi capa upgrade parts within the slide aren't compatible, but I'm not intending to change the internals.

The alternatives are the standard black hi capa, and the px4 (which gets great reviews but I'm not so sold on the looks)

I know at least a couple of people here ( @The captain@Musica ) have owned the D.O.R.  I'd just like to hear if it has been reliable and accurate, and for bonus points, if it's actually usable in our cold months?

I love mine and it never lets me down. I run nuprol red 3.0 in the cold months to keep it around 300fps with the TM red dot on it. I had to replace the slide stop because the pin sheered off and was advised a AIP one from Mike the Hi-capa guru. I epoxied some adapter on to the plastic outer barrel so I could run a tracer but that is all I have done to it and it has never let me down and I used it a lot when I got it as a primary.

If you have small hands the hi-capa is big. I take a small in gloves and can manage it however.

As far as a tether goes I'd just invest in a good holster.

Here is some footage of me using it

22 minutes ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

In the first game of airsoft that I played I picked up two pistols during one rush to the objective.  Both flew from holsters in the first 50 yards.  I was worried that I would not be able to mark where that fell very well as we were running, so ended up with one in each hand.

With my hands full I couldn't use my flaming rifle.  Eventually handed back both to their owners with a complaint about mag capacity.  

Every pistol that I own has a lanyard fitted...

I sprint at the start of every game and never had my pistol or magazines eject.

Blackhawk omnivore holster and esstac kywi pistol pouches with a notch cut of the kydex for the feed lips.

Cheers, good info!  I'll be ordering one this week on the basis of your recommendation.  I've got large hands so no problem there.

(T'wife might be tempted to kill me, told her of course I'm not looking at buying another gun already, when she caught me looking at prices!)

As far as the holster goes, I'm currently running a Kombat UK universal holster.  It's a reasonably snug fit and I'll keep the retention strap in place until I need the gun.  There's no chance of it jumping out with that in place

In the longer term I would like a plastic holster with a thumb button release for a faster draw... So maybe this one

Orpaz 1911 Holster Fits Colt 1911 Kimber 1911 Sig Sauer 1911 and Springfield 1911 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MD1D9LI/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_NDMVGMQA6SPWY8ZH5GP5

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

15 minutes ago, Musica said:

Blackhawk omnivore holster and esstac kywi pistol pouches with a notch cut of the kydex for the feed lips.

Yep not worth skimping on!

Playing themed milsims etc restricts your kit.  Old school gear is not as good as the new stuff for sure.

Well I pulled the trigger on it... Defconairsoft selling at £135 plus next day delivery at £6. 

Also bought a couple of cans of gas as well, one mini for my belt pouch, one full size but low power for indoor plinking.  Got some abbey ultra and sniper already knocking around for the next skirmish, if it's below 10C

Now I did mention I was interested in the px4.  Specifically because @Farapollo has a nearly new one for sale, with a spare mag included for around the £100 mark.  And I twice contacted him about it.  First I changed my mind and bought my F2000 for Xmas, and now this.  Sorry Farapollo!

So if anyone reading this thread has a hankering for a modern TM pistol, but thinks £135 plus another £30 for a spare mag is off-putting, I recommend you consider his package instead.  It was such a great value proposition I still feel a bit silly for going for a pistol I slightly prefer the aesthetics of, but it's costing me so much extra cash.

Edited by RostokMcSpoons
Added advert

Regarding lanyard loops you might also consider a low profile black magwell with a hole for attaching a lanyard.

This for example. https://hicapahub.co.uk/collections/magwells/products/5ku-airsoft-surgeon-cnc-aluminium-magwell-sti-black

There is a hole at the rear which you can see in the second photo. 

You may not like magwells, but I find the low profile ones improve the feel and looks of a hi capa, especially if you go for black. They also conceal part of that big chunk of plastic at the bottom of the TM mag.

Or you could just get a Guarder tactical mag. I imagine they will fit the DOR as well as the other TM hi capas, but you would need to check.

Here is one on one of my TM 5.1s:

Oops, sorry. The Guarder doesn't have a lanyard loop. My mistake.

hi capa e.jpg

hi capa d.jpg

Melling 1 (1).jpg

Melling 2.jpg

Edited by emilianoksa

38 minutes ago, heroshark said:

I have a msh with a loop you can have it think it's off a we.

Great! I'll pm my details :)

49 minutes ago, emilianoksa said:

Regarding lanyard loops you might also consider a low profile black magwell with a hole for attaching a lanyard.

This for example. https://hicapahub.co.uk/collections/magwells/products/5ku-airsoft-surgeon-cnc-aluminium-magwell-sti-black

There is a hole at the rear which you can see in the second photo. 

That's a pricey way around the issue, but definitely an option - thanks!

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

Just received it, and fired a few shots from the patio door .... oooooooh I like it! Snappy even on the Nuprol low-power gas I ordered.
Lovely build quality but it does feel very different in the hand to my all-metal M9.  (Different, not worse)

Still got a good heft to it.

Well worth the recommendations, thankyou :)

I think if I became a very bold person, there does look like there's enough material to allow for a lanyard hole to be drilled through the base of the backstrap.  I don't think I'll do it quite yet though!

• 2 weeks later...

An update because I took it on site yesterday... 

It did sit in my holster for 99% of the day, as most sidearms do, but I made a point of using it a couple of times, and then bashed through the two mags when the day finished.   I'm not sure what the ambient temperature was... Cold but not freezing so maybe 8 or 9C ?  But whatever it was the gun ran like a champ, firing as fast as I could pull the trigger with no problems whatsoever.  I was using Abbey Predator (red can) gas.

The pistol gets a big thumbs up from me 🤗

Mine has never worked since buying new from elite shooting centre after having a new barrel n bits put in it.

You have just reminded me to put it back to stock and try again haha

19 hours ago, Albiscuit said:

Mine has never worked since buying new from elite shooting centre after having a new barrel n bits put in it.

You have just reminded me to put it back to stock and try again haha

Good luck :)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.