Samoon delivery to UK

quincee

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys,

I'm new to the hobby, and was looking to get something by GHK; I ended up settling on a bundle of an AKM and Glock that is currently being sold on Samoon.

I do not have a UKARA license yet, but I thought I'd go through the process of checking out my cart in childish excitement for when I finally have it, and I noticed that the site doesn't ask for a UKARA number.
With UK law prohibiting the purchase of a replica firearm without a UKARA license - or otherwise having a reason to own one I suppose, but that's besides the point - how is this legal? Is it genuinely possible to order from Samoon without a UKARA license and receive an airsoft gun? 

If anyone has experience with how Samoon work in regards to ordering to the UK, I'd be interested to hear it. 

EDIT: I've since learned that they'll need my UKARA details for it to make it past customs or something of the like, so there is that. Regardless, if you have any experience with Samoon - delivery times, reliability, customer service and the condition your RIF came in, I'm still interested.

Edited by quincee

Most overseas sites do not ask for a UKARA number because it is the buyers responsibility to make sure that what they import is within UK law and they meet the requirements for importing a restricted product.

IE, if there is no UKARA field, I just put it as part of the address. 

So if you order from any old site and you do not put your UKARA in the address field or on a custom field provided, then it is not their fault that you don't receive it. The same as any restricted item. 

Edited by Asomodai

• Supporters

I'll go in slow and lubed.

4 hours ago, quincee said:

I'm new to the hobby

New as in "rented, played, loved it", or new as in "saw it on YouTube, found my new hobby for life"?

I ask because if you're looking at dropping $900 plus magazines, shipping, VAT, duty and courier fees on something that will come essentially without warranty, you'll want to be sure that both airsoft and gas blowbacks are right for you.

We generally recommend buying a cheaper AEG as a first gun, until you're sure that you really enjoy the hobby once the buzz has worn off.  It's always good to have a robust backup or loaner around, you're unlikely to stop at one gun (or two, or three, or...)

I do not have a UKARA license yet

And you never will. It's a defence - one of many - not a licence, and it's a UK retailer scheme which only incidentally benefits players.  In practice, this works out much the same, but it's a significant difference during import where it may or may not suffice depending on the courier and the mood of HMRC on the day.  We've seen some folk recently having to fill out import declarations rather than just having it come through on a UKARA number, and some even having visits from the police afterwards to ask them what they're doing importing RIFs.  The tl;dr version is: you need to be sure that importation is worth the risk, even with a defence.

With UK law prohibiting the purchase of a replica firearm without a UKARA license

Nope. Purchase or attempt to purchase is fine if you're 18+.  The offences are sale, manufacture, modification (of a non-realistic firearm into a realistic firearm) or importation, including causing it to be imported.  So, yes, it does apply to this situation, but you're fine to try and persuade someone to sell you a RIF within the UK, without any legal problems - they're the one committing any offence, and some UK retailers sellers (and many private ones) either don't care or will accept other (or spurious) defences.

- or otherwise having a reason to own one I suppose

Ownership is fine, no offence is being committed.  Public possession needs a reasonable excuse every time - there is no licence or general defence to that, it's case by case.

EDIT: I've since learned that they'll need my UKARA details for it to make it past customs or something of the like, so there is that.

Yup, I'm surprised they're not more up-front about it.  You'd have to be very, very lucky to get anything past customs now without it being caught.

Regardless, if you have any experience with Samoon - delivery times, reliability, customer service and the condition your RIF came in, I'm still interested.

First I've heard of them.

I know it's tempting because of UK stock levels at the moment.  But you'll get hit with 20% VAT, plus some duty, plus a courier fee for paying it, and people are seeing lonnnng delays on deliveries from the EU let alone Taiwan.  I've given up on importation for the moment (other than low value non-RIF stuff from AliExpress that's coming in with VAT pre-paid), it's just too big a gamble for the meagre cost benefits.

It's up to you, and the more that gets imported into the UK the better for all of us, but I wouldn't bet my money on it.

Samoon will need your UKARA, they are pretty good at shipping stuff quickly and I have ordered loads of GHK parts and mags from them previously.  But you have a small problem, as currently I don't believe they are shipping RIFs to the UK due to COVID reasons or some such bollocks.  Unless that has changed in the last 24hrs since I last visited their site.  If that is still the case I can firmly recommend WGCShop, they order via Samoon anyway and are currently shipping to the UK.  

Everything Rogerborg mentions is true by the way.  You need a UKARA to stand a chance of getting your RIF through customs.  I wouldn't risk them destroying your package (giggity) for the lack of one.

@RogerborgSamoon are basically the web outlet for GHK, and currently pretty much the only place you can get one.

Edited by EvilMonkee

• Supporters
59 minutes ago, EvilMonkee said:

@RogerborgSamoon are basically the web outlet for GHK, and currently pretty much the only place you can get one.

Mmm, it does seem that GHKs are out of stock everywhere in the UK.  Sad times ahead if anything a bit off the beaten AEG track becomes direct import only, with the current state of imports.

Being a Ghk fanboy, I can confirm that Samoon won’t send RIF’s, mags or barrels to the uk. Internal parts and accessories should be ok

Gbbr’s are a bit of a faff for your first pewpew

My M4 is in hibernation until warmer weather arrives, as it’s USELESS during the current ambient temps

Get yourself a nice TM recoil if you want something useable , that will save you tears and will be useable all year round, as a suggestion!

I use a TM recoil for that reason during colder months

Also the low ammo count mags will ruin your play if you are just starting off

Its just a suggestion, it’s your money, spunk it how you will 😂

Bit if you must, you must

They are awesome to shoot 😁👍

Edited by Enid_Puceflange

On 13/01/2022 at 20:00, Rogerborg said:

I'll go in slow and lubed.

New as in "rented, played, loved it", or new as in "saw it on YouTube, found my new hobby for life"?

I ask because if you're looking at dropping $900 plus magazines, shipping, VAT, duty and courier fees on something that will come essentially without warranty, you'll want to be sure that both airsoft and gas blowbacks are right for you.

We generally recommend buying a cheaper AEG as a first gun, until you're sure that you really enjoy the hobby once the buzz has worn off.  It's always good to have a robust backup or loaner around, you're unlikely to stop at one gun (or two, or three, or...)

And you never will. It's a defence - one of many - not a licence, and it's a UK retailer scheme which only incidentally benefits players.  In practice, this works out much the same, but it's a significant difference during import where it may or may not suffice depending on the courier and the mood of HMRC on the day.  We've seen some folk recently having to fill out import declarations rather than just having it come through on a UKARA number, and some even having visits from the police afterwards to ask them what they're doing importing RIFs.  The tl;dr version is: you need to be sure that importation is worth the risk, even with a defence.

Nope. Purchase or attempt to purchase is fine if you're 18+.  The offences are sale, manufacture, modification (of a non-realistic firearm into a realistic firearm) or importation, including causing it to be imported.  So, yes, it does apply to this situation, but you're fine to try and persuade someone to sell you a RIF within the UK, without any legal problems - they're the one committing any offence, and some UK retailers sellers (and many private ones) either don't care or will accept other (or spurious) defences.

Ownership is fine, no offence is being committed.  Public possession needs a reasonable excuse every time - there is no licence or general defence to that, it's case by case.

Yup, I'm surprised they're not more up-front about it.  You'd have to be very, very lucky to get anything past customs now without it being caught.

First I've heard of them.

I know it's tempting because of UK stock levels at the moment.  But you'll get hit with 20% VAT, plus some duty, plus a courier fee for paying it, and people are seeing lonnnng delays on deliveries from the EU let alone Taiwan.  I've given up on importation for the moment (other than low value non-RIF stuff from AliExpress that's coming in with VAT pre-paid), it's just too big a gamble for the meagre cost benefits.

It's up to you, and the more that gets imported into the UK the better for all of us, but I wouldn't bet my money on it.

As Enid said, it's my money, and it's my interest in history and militaria that has the priority here; Airsoft is an interesting hobby, but I'm mostly interested in collecting displayable pieces that I also have a reasonable use for.

And you're correct, a UKARA defence, my bad.

Thank you to everyone that let me know about issues with Samoon and COVID atm, I didn't see that anywhere on their website, so either I'm a blind person or they're not being particularly overt about the fact.

I will add I have 0 interest in AEGs; I'd like my toys to look, feel and sound a little less like a... toy. I'm an adult baby with distinguished taste.

8 hours ago, quincee said:

As Enid said, it's my money, and it's my interest in history and militaria that has the priority here; Airsoft is an interesting hobby, but I'm mostly interested in collecting displayable pieces that I also have a reasonable use for.

And you're correct, a UKARA defence, my bad.

Thank you to everyone that let me know about issues with Samoon and COVID atm, I didn't see that anywhere on their website, so either I'm a blind person or they're not being particularly overt about the fact.

I will add I have 0 interest in AEGs; I'd like my toys to look, feel and sound a little less like a... toy. I'm an adult baby with distinguished taste.

Its on their scrollable banner right at the top of their page, lists all the countries they are delivering to currently.

• Supporters
On 15/01/2022 at 13:46, quincee said:

I'm an adult baby with distinguished taste.

Going straight for a GHK package makes you king of the adult babies.

(On many sites this would be an insult rather than a compliment)

• 1 year later...

Samoon seem to be a bit slower these days.

I placed an order on the 6th of this month, received an update 3 days later

Then a dispatch notification about 5 days after that

And only just received a notification from Royal Mail today that they are expecting it soon. 
Comms with Samoon are also a bit slower - 1 or 2 days to get a reply, but they reply!

Delay probably down to the V3 AK coming out and they will be fielding answers by email and checking alignments of trunions every waking minute.

Not much of a consolation when you are an impatient child as I am 😂

On 20/11/2023 at 08:39, Enid_Puceflange said:

Samoon seem to be a bit slower these days.

I placed an order on the 6th of this month, received an update 3 days later

Then a dispatch notification about 5 days after that

And only just received a notification from Royal Mail today that they are expecting it soon. 
Comms with Samoon are also a bit slower - 1 or 2 days to get a reply, but they reply!

Delay probably down to the V3 AK coming out and they will be fielding answers by email and checking alignments of trunions every waking minute.

Not much of a consolation when you are an impatient child as I am 😂

Did you buy one?  Mucho jealous.  I am waiting for the AK74 as frankly 6 AKMs is probably enough

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.