Other good spray paint recommendations?

RostokMcSpoons

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm looking to create some camouflage on my guns.. I've already seen the Halfords Vs Krylon thread, in so I've seen the Halfords camouflage paints get all round thumbs up for being good for this 

But they only have the DPM style colours, I want to mix in some white (or maybe light grey) and maroon.

I've looked on eBay etc but not sure what other manufacturers would match the same look as the Halfords ones.... Any recommendations?

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

I've bought some Deco Color 'military vehicle paint.'  Not tried it yet, but it was cheap from evil bay.  Available in a fair few shades for sure.  

That covers the white and grey, just maroon/claret needed 😊

This is a bit pricier, so why I'd ignored it in my initial search, but if I just need the one colour this looks ok ...?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kings-Army-Spray-Paint-Military-Vehicle-Paint-paintball-airsoft-model-paint-/121774359100?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

The test spray I did was fine colour wise.  I expect that someone else on here knows it from a long term performance perspective re: chipping etc. 

TBH I can't remember why I went for it or on whose recommendation.

1 hour ago, heroshark said:

Molotow paints are good.

That's handy, they're very well priced... 6x400ml of any colour for only £28

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/372942525831

The only thing is most shops are selling the  as semi-gloss while that ebay page says they're matt.  I'll have to ping them a message to confirm.

They're graffiti paints, so can work outdoors at -10C, which is handy at this time of year :)

+1 on the Molotow, at least the black (which is the only one I've used). I've had some success with various other randoms found on the shelf at b&q, like Rustoleum. Their stove and BBQ black paint came up a lovely flat black and they had some sort of textured brown that gave a passable impression of rust for a post-apoc gun.

Worth a look to see what's there if you're passing. Avoids the postage too.

2 hours ago, Hatchet said:

+1 on the Molotow, at least the black (which is the only one I've used). I've had some success with various other randoms found on the shelf at b&q, like Rustoleum. Their stove and BBQ black paint came up a lovely flat black and they had some sort of textured brown that gave a passable impression of rust for a post-apoc gun.

Worth a look to see what's there if you're passing. Avoids the postage too.

Glad to hear that Molotow is good, as apart from the 'semi-gloss' issue (i think the ebay listing saying 'matte' is wrong, unless semi-gloss is much more matte than gloss), the price is right (c'mon down) on those.   I'm considering 9 different colours   (white, ruby red, black forest green, leaf green middle, camouflage (olive green), khaki, sahara beige, black grey dark, choc brown)
I could pick up black and white from Halfords to get it down to 6 from ebay.   
The B&Q ones are a fair bit pricier at ~£12 per tin, which will add up to a chunk of change for 8 or 9 cans, so maybe just that textured brown one, as it does sound interesting - I'd be very happy to get a battle-worn look.

As usual I may be overthinking this, but I do want to get get away from standard dark DPM and get a little more adventurous.

Here are the main camo patterns in Battlefield 4, most of which are going to hard for a novice gun painter to achieve, so consider it a 'mood board'.  'Havoc' is the one I've usually used on my gun in-game, I was thinking of tearing (maybe shooting!) some holes in aluminium foil as that makes for some nice jagged template holes, but it'd be hard to get sharply defined edges across the whole gun

So I'll probably end up with a bolder version of the 'Spray Autumn' pattern with some white and dark red to add some extra interest.  

image.png.a854de3c211656b3e94b42c14aa5acb4.png

Edit2:  

Got a reply back from the ebay shop, they suggest these which are matte, and similar pricing - pick any 6 for £30, free postage:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/372974623437

Edited by RostokMcSpoons
Ebay reply

Be wary some of the colours are a bit weird like the khaki if you want a proper khaki the Halfords is nice. The molotow is a bit bright and yellowy. It's ok used limitedly. All the coffee colours are good . Evil olive is a good dark green .

Edited by heroshark

So how 'semi-gloss' is their paint - is it a satin effect in reality?   I take it from all the recommendations that it's perfectly acceptable!

The ebay shop recommended the Mtn94 as true matte, but I did like the sound of the Molotow's for their graffiti nozzles - I could actually paint some narrow stripes with those... is that right?

I was near a Halfords last night so I called in to see what they had in stock... ended up buying what they had - a can of Khaki and a can of Black.
So that leaves me picking another 6 from this short-list from the matte Mtn94 range...

image.png.34afec95403291395561253b40d33f77.png

I'll probably pick the light and dark green, the two browns, the claret and the off-white.  Should be able to produce some interesting patterns with all that lot!

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.