Cyma AK polymer tactical body Kit - good purchase for my TM AK?

RostokMcSpoons

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm thinking of buying this

image.thumb.png.8e1073083631b5e13c36238b74ed7211.png

Now I don't suppose anyone here has bought one of these specific kits, but I know a few of you have Cyma AK's, and so I'd like to know how good this is likely to be?

• My existing fake wood stuff on my plastic-bodied AK creaks like a mo-fo, so this is primarily about quietening that and making the gun feel more solid.
  • Next, the top and bottom RIS rails will allow me to run with a stubby grip and my new Amazon-special red dot.  Which will be nice.
  • And lastly, it's a cosmetic change from what I'm used to on the AK.   I do like the looks of the standard gun, so a wood kit (if I can find one at a sensible price) remains an option.

Any opinions on Cyma's polymer build quality?

1 minute ago, Jacob Wright said:

You get what you pay for essentially .. that said I’ve always found Cyma kit to be well worth the money. For £25 why not might as well give it a go!!

I'll have you know I don't go around throwing my hard(ly)-earned £25 willy-nilly and just on a whim!

(I leave that to the wife 😕)

• Supporters

getting into the territory of personal preference.

generally for a forward mounted optic a gas block replacement with an integrated rail tend to have adjustments that let you lock everything down tight for zero retention.

ofc how much zero retention you care about in an airsoft pew is a different story, and if you're moving the optic to other guns then it's irrelevant anyway as you'd need to readjust on fitting.

you may find that fitment won't be ideal, it's pretty normal for ak furniture to have a degree of fettling required to fit nice and tight on a given body.

2 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

getting into the territory of personal preference.

generally for a forward mounted optic a gas block replacement with an integrated rail tend to have adjustments that let you lock everything down tight for zero retention.

ofc how much zero retention you care about in an airsoft pew is a different story, and if you're moving the optic to other guns then it's irrelevant anyway as you'd need to readjust on fitting.

you may find that fitment won't be ideal, it's pretty normal for ak furniture to have a degree of fettling required to fit nice and tight on a given body.

Yeah that's a fair point.  I guess we'll see what this kit is like...
I do already own one of the little sidemounts that goes over the top of the rear sight.  It's only held in place by a single screw and the top edge of the lower part of the handguard.  It also might look quite clunky as it has a long-ish section of rail which will overhang the new section of rail, or the top cover.
I haven't used it in the past because I only had the Kobra sight, which is a hefty beast.  It made the gun feel a little too top heavy.   The cheapo Amazon sight is much lighter and more compact so... 

Ah sod it, I put the gun back together (sort-of) and tried it...
image.png.9aca90d618ddb048dc18e649d97f55ce.png

It's just too high up there for my taste.  The folding stock gives a naturally low position relative to the gun, so it doesn't really work for quickly acquiring a good sight picture.  Even with face pro in the way.
The rail I could chop shorter and repaint, but I might as well leave it alone (or sell it, or use it in my F2000 build)

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

• Supporters
49 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

It's just too high up there for my taste.

oh god it's not just your taste.....

and bearing in mind i find the offset of a pk1 to be within acceptable limits........

i have run a mini dot on a gas block rail before (doctor/rmr type/size) which is nice and low and works quite well, although i'm a sucker for the siderail stuff.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.