Prescription Eye pro's

AirSniper

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I do not recommend anyone taking the prescription safety glasses route wit the Riley brand.

https://www.riley-eyewear.com/swarm

Two Reasons.

1. They have a trim that is not moulded but "clips" to the main safety frame, this (sides) will come off easily. (The grey 'flare' bits by the arms pop off)

2. I am off to eye casualty after last nights game, someone had a spicy RIF and a BB was able to get under the safety barrier and hit me in my eye. I have had to wait all night to book in at 7am and wait to be called in by them.

So no matter how much your optician tells you that these give all round face hugging eye protection, its BS. The fact that a BB can get in from hitting my cheek bone at the eye socket, make its way under the rubber seal, to me is clear indication that they are not in anyway suitable for airsoft.

They were not cheap either, £165 from Vision Express. Not exactly express either as it took 3 weeks to get them to start with.

Ugh. Not good. Firstly, hope you'll be OK and all the best for your recovery.

As a glasses wearer I've found it simpler to wear contact lenses, makes eyepro a lot easier. I've got a helmet with full face pro now however so that may change. Not skirmed with it yet however, will be getting a sniper to test it at chrono and taking my usual Bolle's just in case.

40 minutes ago, Ebeneezer Goode said:

As a glasses wearer I've found it simpler to wear contact lenses, makes eyepro a lot easier.

Not everyone can wear contacts - used to be able to in my early 20s, but no chance nowadays.

Settled with Paintball goggles (more recently with a fan fitted) for the last couple of years.

1 hour ago, AirSniper said:

I do not recommend anyone taking the prescription safety glasses route wit the Riley brand.

https://www.riley-eyewear.com/swarm

Two Reasons.

1. They have a trim that is not moulded but "clips" to the main safety frame, this (sides) will come off easily. (The grey 'flare' bits by the arms pop off)

This can lie in the fine detail - the page you linked refers to ‘impact resistant lenses’ - and as you’ve identified, the combined system has scope for clip in parts to be seperated

e.g. Suitable for some impact situations and not for others 

2. I am off to eye casualty after last nights game, someone had a spicy RIF and a BB was able to get under the safety barrier and hit me in my eye. I have had to wait all night to book in at 7am and wait to be called in by them.

So no matter how much your optician tells you that these give all round face hugging eye protection, its BS. The fact that a BB can get in from hitting my cheek bone at the eye socket, make its way under the rubber seal, to me is clear indication that they are not in anyway suitable for airsoft

This is the main issue that I have with all of the glasses types of eye protection.  Fine for head on impact, very easy for BBs to work their way around  - another example of ‘suitable for some impact situations, not for others’ 

They were not cheap either, £165 from Vision Express. Not exactly express either as it took 3 weeks to get them to start with.

I hope that you don’t have any lasting problems.

Good luck

2 hours ago, AirSniper said:

For that price you might as well get a Dye mask. They are designed to be worn with glasses.

I know some people don't like that look, but as soon as I put an i5 on for the first time I knew exactly why people where willing to pay ~£160 for them.

Well all OK, the eye doctor said that the eye has been grazed and will be ok in a week. I got seen very quickly despite a member of staff saying that they are short on staff from illness.

As for the graze, it was caused by the force of the BB on the bottom eye lid, its going to be uncomfortable for about a week. So all good in the end.

I am looking in to face masks as I want one for my son to use with his glasses and it needs to be full face and found a helmet with a full face attachment, only I had to send it back because the rails were a bit Janky. It really needs to be the fast helmet type as well... 

So I may be asking lots of questions in the near future...

1 hour ago, NeonMidnight said:

For that price you might as well get a Dye mask. They are designed to be worn with glasses.

I know some people don't like that look, but as soon as I put an i5 on for the first time I knew exactly why people where willing to pay ~£160 for them.

I would reword that to looking a paintball goggles.

Dye is not the only contender - their premium masks are known for being compact - which translates to not being good for large heads such as mine

(which is a moot point when comparing glasses style to full face goggle)

The Dye i3 full face goggle also had an airsoft specific snow/skiing style equivalent goggle without the full face element, and the i3s could be dismantled for the same effect 

Other premium goggles are available, and each design has its pros and cons for different heads

Even cheap goggles are great if they are the right fit.  I bought a pair of Sly Annex MI7s just for the multicam style colour scheme) (now likely to be marketed here as Valken). They are just basic rental grade in hard plastic - but they fit my head just right, and have good air flow

My second ever goggles / first new goggles were the Dye i3pro with these my forehead was always exposed (but resolved with a headband, backwards baseball cap or beanie etc), my chin remained outside and whenever I spoke my mouth was exposed 

I tried on the i4s - even less coverage

Ive not tried on the i5s

I would not call Dyes ‘designed for glasses’. 
They do have great airflow - but most of that is because of how little they cover faces 

Every premium goggle should cover airflow, and seal the eye area away from your breath

The perfect goggle fit for me are the Angel eyes but their full lens design has not made it through standards, and despite the reattempt of the C2 Eyon they have never made it to market 

My preferred goggles are the VForce Grills, which actually are designed around glasses - including slits in the soft foam for your glasses arms 

My standard recommendation for goggles is to try them on - everyone has their own opinion and the only way to know what’s right for you is to try some 

Just get a Warq and wear your normal glasses underneath, no steaming and total protection 

31 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

Ive not tried on the i5s

I would not call Dyes ‘designed for glasses’. 

After trying the i5 I brought one as soon as I had the money. It's literally like putting your face in a form fit pillow. The filed of view is amazing and they are basically impossible to fog.

With my glasses the fit is like I'm not even wearing glasses. Super comfortable! 

The best part though is the ratchet strap system. You just slide the mask on and twist and you are good to go. No annoying straps. 

But like you said the down side is the face coverage. Sure it makes the mask light but there are gaps on the sides of my jaw and like you said the forehead. I have a little cut right now on my jaw's edge. 

Edited by NeonMidnight

Thanks for all the feedback, a lot of help there with options.

I use contacted but after a had an incident of nearly needing to leave a game early due to almost losing a contact I'm looking at getting a pair of prescription inserts for my Bolle tracker IIs. They're low profile but still have a built up frame around the lense to create a good seal. 

Damn glad you are going to be OK.

The people praising masks for glasses, do your specs steam up with no mask/goggles at all?  I find a pair of small lensed rectangular framed specs steam and get covered with sweat in very hot weather just working let alone playing.  Are any of you so afflicted?  

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/01/2022 at 22:27, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

The people praising masks for glasses, do your specs steam up with no mask/goggles at all?  I find a pair of small lensed rectangular framed specs steam and get covered with sweat in very hot weather just working let alone playing.  Are any of you so afflicted?  

Can do, depends on the weather. 

As for airsoft, I had a eye near miss for the first time in 17 years of playing a couple of weeks ago. It was at a CQB site in Derby, and I foolishly broke cover and ran across an open doorway only to get pre fired by some tights wearing HPA hicapa spammer who was lying on the floor and put a line of bb’s into my face out of his/her/it’s stupid M4 magazine.  The eye pro took the brunt, but a stray bb hit my eye socket in the gap between my ballcap and my specs and left me dazed and a gnarly black eye formed overnight. 

I wear prescription Oakleys which don’t seal to my face, but have got away with that for years. It’s at my own risk, but it’s probably foolish. My main error was going to a silly CQB site and exposing myself to a lot more risk than I usually do.

In retrospect, I’d say wear high quality full face for CQB.  I’m never going to that kind of hell hole, it’s not what I play airsoft for and is just too unrealistic.

I’m sticking with my prescription Oakleys and being very picky about when I stick my neck out as a target.  I like to try and treat airsoft like real life and not run out into obvious potential lethal danger, and as such I don’t get hit very often when playing.     I do a lot of milsim, and this Dye type paintball PPE just doesn’t work with NVG or respirator’s either. 

Edited by Captain Darling

• 1 month later...

Addendum to original post.

In the same game, I had been shot in my index finger and it was painful. Had been hit several times before, yes it stings but this was another pain level, it was like being hit with a hammer.

It was painful to touch for days, I was lucky to have a prebooked doctors appointment for some other follow up the week after the game I had played and showed the doc who after careful examination said... "Ohhh, that is a fracture callus..."

Still have a lump of bone where it was hit.

On 06/01/2022 at 22:27, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

Yes, so I make a point off never carrying out physical exercise. 😉

I do have a couple of pairs of safety glasses with prescription inserts. Unfortunately fancy Oakleys and the like can’t take a strong enough prescription for me. I swap glasses between games as a quick way to defog them. Mesh goggles and face masks with glasses under them seem to fog as much as full Goggles in me. 

Best ones I have are my cheap guarder ones. Fog up less than my Revision & Bolle ones. Got some out of production Unvex Equestrian “glasses” too. Bit more secure as they are really a very close fitting goggle.D3184C8F-7B33-4844-8049-9298A242AF14.gif.0b4e12a4e3fa76e3df8ad4c6ddeb7657.gif

Edited by The Waco Kid

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.