My first shimming job with 16:1 gears how does it sound also its double firing:/

steverebo

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So despite all the advice given to me I did it amd opened up my gun the sa-07 edge and I'm glad I did it had bit of aluminium flakes all over the place the o-ring on the pistol  was tearing and the greese job left a lot to be desired.

I polished cleaned replaced the gears with ZCI advanced 16:1 replaced the bearings with jcaged 8mm and shimmed and greesed it and fitted a ZCI high torque motor now to me it sounds perfect but this is my first gun so what do you guys think?

Also it now double fires bit I this is the result of overspib caused by the gear changed a 11.1v lipo sk now need some active breaking

Edited by steverebo

• steverebo changed the title to My first shimming job with 16:1 gears how does it sound also its double firing:/

Cheers, At Stock it was making a screeching sound so this is a vast improvement but being brand new to airsoft I don't know what too tight or perfect sounds like 

Edited by steverebo

• Supporters

Tightness is better established by feel, before final assembly clamp just the gears up in the shell.

Often its a case of what seems perfect when you have the shell just sitting there then when its compressed by bolting it together it locks up.

2 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

Tightness is better established by feel, before final assembly clamp just the gears up in the shell.

Often its a case of what seems perfect when you have the shell just sitting there then when its compressed by bolting it together it locks up.

That's exactly what I did I completely screwed down the gearbox with just the gears and no piston and tested the movement 

• Supporters
31 minutes ago, steverebo said:

That's exactly what I did I completely screwed down the gearbox with just the gears and no piston and tested the movement 

Aye thats the proper way to check it.

Also good to hold it in different orientations see if theres any friction when they move. The movement itself isnt so bad as long as it doesnt allow them to move into a position where they're scraping.

I'll also then try the piston in (sans-spring) to feel how smooth the pickup is after setting aoe.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.