Accuracy v weight

Makis

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello, my problem is my new S&W 29 (8")  with .2 gr balls it can only manage 6"groups at 20 feet, would a heavier ball be more accurate?  It would be interesting to know what weight you use in pistols. 

Regards, Makis

• Supporters

This one?  https://www.umarex.com/products/airsoft/co2/2.6466.html

Have you cleaned the barrel?

On BB weight, it depends on the hop, if any.  It's not mentioned in the manual, but... is that a hop unit?  Is it adjustable with that screw marked 1-37?  The Umarex page implies so: "the shoot-up is also adjustable." If so, have you adjusted it to your BB weight?

I'd also apply silicone lube to any rubber parts to try and keep the seal consistent.

image.png.9bc1a8534353eb1ee2274bfd5e5bb203.png

Aside, given that it claims up to 2 Joules (!) I'd hope that you're using it for target shooting rather than close-quarters airsoft skirmishing.  My DMR only puts out 1.8J, with a 20-30m minimum engagement distance.

it will help a bit. However the shell loaded style revolvers just aren't very good the design does not lend its self to range or accuracy and they are more a gimmick than a useful airsoft gun. Saying that i really want one  congrats on getting one they are out of stock every where.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, BigStew said:

However the shell loaded style revolvers just aren't very good the design does not lend its self to range or accuracy and they are more a gimmick than a useful airsoft gun.

always kinda felt that way too, although i still want a nagant.

sadly the only one on the market seems to be the triple whammy of not particularly shiny externals, unobtanium, and you have got to be joking fps........

Heavy ammo will help. Airsoft revolvers are usually more accurate single action too due to the length of the trigger pull and fractional inconsistencies in cylinder positioning/timing when used double action.

1 hour ago, Adolf Hamster said:

always kinda felt that way too, although i still want a nagant.

sadly the only one on the market seems to be the triple whammy of not particularly shiny externals, unobtanium, and you have got to be joking fps........

Trick is to epoxy up the hole in the back of the shell and drill a smaller hole.

• Supporters
7 minutes ago, heroshark said:

Trick is to epoxy up the hole in the back of the shell and drill a smaller hole.

yeah, thing is getting one in the first place *grumbles in 1j limit*

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all for your replies. It has hop up and the very small screw for adjustment seems to be Loctited in, but the problem was not a vertical error but a 360 deg. error. The barrel and shells were cleaned before use so there should have been no problem, however i bought some .4 balls a couple of weeks ago and the accuracy is much better, i will try some heavier balls when my local (250 miles away!!) dealer has some more in stock.

I have been shooting for 70 years and still learning something new as airsoft is a new science to me.

Thanking you all again for your help.

Regards, Makis 

• Supporters

Ah, good to hear that.  Yes, with any sort of hop unit, you'll want to use the heaviest BBs that it will lift.

It may simply be an issue of BB quality and consistency.  "6mm" BBs actually tend to be 5.95mm, and in practice vary from 5.92mm to 5.98mm when you measure them.  It's more likely that heavier BBs will be made to better tolerances than cheaper, lighter 0.2g.

You may find that you can get better consistency from a tight-bore barrel, although finding or modify an existing aftermarket barrel to fit will be somewhat of a gamble.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.