Everyone starts somewhere

TheNotoriousLoki

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi @TheNotoriousLoki 👋

You lucky boy! 😮

We all have to start somewhere and progress! Start of simple, many parts can be multifunctional and saves you 💷 along the way. Scope is simple and have the same torch, used mine on the 19th, with the button setup, good torch, will be in a video this Sunday! 🤪

Look forward to seeing the setup? 👍

💷GAMBLE💷

I like the way that you're thinking Loki.  Far too easy to chuck money on Gucci kit and sell it for a loss when you realise that it isn't what you really want.

24 minutes ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

I like the way that you're thinking Loki.  Far too easy to chuck money on Gucci kit and sell it for a loss when you realise that it isn't what you really want.

Need to stay frugal until I find my dream build. 

I like the idea of a DMR but playing CQB mostly at the moment, something more like G36C or compact sub machine gun might be a better option. 

like I said before tho, going to play with this gun and do a lot of research, there was players on my last game day who had HPA and it looked amazing but need to also take into consideration how much the tanks or refilling of the tanks would cost. It’s not a cheap sport if you go wild and to be honest I don’t have Gucci money available to spend.

DMRs are an odd one, many different power limits across different sites, where as full auto and bolt actions are fairly universal in their power limits. Depends on your local sites I guess. Though a 1.1j build with a dmr playstyle is pretty fun. 

And definitely get a second gun before tinkering. You don't want to be canceling game days because your gearbox is in pieces on a work bench 😅

But most importantly, do what is fun, even if its not logical. If it gets you playing its a good thing. 

44 minutes ago, Badgerlicious said:

Butmost importantly, do what is fun, even if its not logical

This. It can also be applied in game as well as to your gear 

• Supporters
15 hours ago, TheNotoriousLoki said:

since playing that first game I realised I needed a torch and better sight

And a sight protector and a tracer unit and single, two and three point slings and a forward grip and a different pistol grip and a CQB stock and...

Cancel your wedding plans now, you won't be able to afford it. ;)

Ahoy and welcome though. We're so-so on those Bulldogs, but they seem to be pretty standard V2 gearboxed M4s so anything that does go wrong should be fixable without too much drama.  It'll doubtless migrate to become a loaner / backup / tinkering gun if you stick with the hobby.

• Supporters
17 hours ago, TheNotoriousLoki said:

You are so right about all the other things needed too for CQB, I have just left my local airsoft shop and came out with a new pistol.

Is your ex-fiancé ready to move on yet?

The owners was so helpful and even help me set up my MVT so I could purchase the pistol without having to have it two toned.

I'm going to have to ask: MVT?

just got a AW Custom High Capps 5.1

Wow, that is pretty tacticool.  I like the ghost ring iron sight, I might put some white or luminous paint on that for dark CQB if it doesn't already have some.

35 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Is your ex-fiancé ready to move on yet?

I'm going to have to ask: MVT?

Wow, that is pretty tacticool.  I like the ghost ring iron sight, I might put some white or luminous paint on that for dark CQB if it doesn't already have some.

She is a keeper as she is was the one encouraging me to go to the shop and get some stuff I like. She likes it as it gets me out the house so she can sit with the dog and watch crap on the sofa.

MVT is “ military vehicle trust,” if you register with them and pay the £35 a year subscription you are classed as a re-enactor so you are able to purchase full black RIFs without the need of a UKARA

I am really impressed with the pistol, I need green gas tho as unfortunately he didn’t have any at the shop when I purchased it. He filled it with red gas which he said would be fine for the cold weather but green gas would be better. He is going to let me know as soon as it’s in stock or I will see if they have any at Bristol Airsoft on Boxing Day when I am playing next. 

I am planning to invest in a torch/stone light for the pistol for the dark areas in CQB.

22 minutes ago, Paul72 said:

I’d guess he’s joined the Military Vehicle Trust to use as a defense 

Yeah that’s exactly what I did. 

• Supporters

Huh. Well, that's one way of doing it.

With no disrespect to you - you're not the one committing any offence - it's an absolute cad's trick by the retailer, and ill advised of the MVT to allow unvetted membership if it's being abused like this.

The retailer knows fine well that they're selling this for airsoft use, not reenactment.  There's no reasonable way they could claim that defence, for that pistol.

It's a cynical box-ticking exercise, and if they're going to accept a bogus defence that won't actually protect them if legal push comes to shove, then I'd note that JustCos is only £20.

Sorry, that rant isn't aimed at you, but at the whole farcical system.  You've just illustrated how utterly pointless it is.

5 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Huh. Well, that's one way of doing it.

With no disrespect to you - you're not the one committing any offence - it's an absolute cad's trick by the retailer, and ill advised of the MVT to allow unvetted membership if it's being abused like this.

The retailer knows fine well that they're selling this for airsoft use, not reenactment.  There's no reasonable way they could claim that defence, for that pistol.

It's a cynical box-ticking exercise, and if they're going to accept a bogus defence that won't actually protect them if legal push comes to shove, then I'd note that JustCos is only £20.

Sorry, that rant isn't aimed at you, but at the whole farcical system.  You've just illustrated how utterly pointless it is.

Rant away, I know it’s not aimed at me and I’m know where you are coming from.

It does seem like a system that can be abused but it won’t be abused by myself. I will probably still look into my UKARA if that’s possible but it was a means to an end as this pistol was calling to me. 

On the matter of ‘other defences’, reenactment is a valid defence for RIFs.

But just buying reenactor insurance doesn’t make someone a reenactor, nor does it make a modern RIF suitable for period reenactment.

Theres also cosplay insurance mentioned above. As many of us know there is not a VCRA defence for cosplay, and if you’re in the know for which retailer takes cosplay insurance as a

defence then you may also know that they ‘partner’ with a comicon organiser who does not permit RIFs in their cosplayer rules.

(There is one valid form of cosplay for RIFs - the professional cosplayers who get paid for personal appearances at

comicons etc are performers and may qualify under the theatrical defence)

Under the VCRA a retailer that accepts a ‘nudge nudge wink wink’ defence is committing the offence. However a purchaser who uses reenactment /

cosplay etc as their option when purchasing without the intent to reenact or cosplay etc is taking part in the deception and committing fraud.

As long as your intent when purchasing a RIF is to play airsoft skirmishing at an insured site then you are VCRA compliant, all you need to do is sufficiently persuade the retailer - which is most commonly via the UKARA route

It’s best for all to wait and follow the UKARA route (it also inspires a tiny bit of confidence in the trustworthyness of a retailer if they aren’t bending the law 

However if you have a good search around of UK retailers and the forum then you could find one or two that will sell on the basis of your intent to skirmish as opposed to fiddling with other activities 

• Supporters
36 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

However a purchaser who uses reenactment / cosplay etc as their option when purchasing without the intent to reenact or cosplay etc is taking part in the deception and committing fraud.

Fraud requires gain for yourself or loss for another, which would be a hard argument to make unless you consider a potential fine as a loss.

You might stretch it to conspiracy to commit an S36 offence, which would be rather bizarre as if you just walked in and said "Sell me a RIF" without providing any reason why, there could be no mens rea.

This just further illustrates how bonkers the whole legislation is, although I wouldn't expect any changes to be in our favour.  Every time some skip-licker goes postal with a RIF, I wonder if this will be the time when Fleet and Downing Streets decide to call time on our hijinks.

OP's fine rather than fined though, I'm really just jealous of that go-faster pistol. ;) 

5 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Fraud requires gain for yourself or loss for another, which would be a hard argument to make unless you consider a potential fine as a loss.

You might stretch it to conspiracy to commit an S36 offence, which would be rather bizarre as if you just walked in and said "Sell me a RIF" without providing any reason why, there could be no mens rea.

This just further illustrates how bonkers the whole legislation is, although I wouldn't expect any changes to be in our favour.  Every time some skip-licker goes postal with a RIF, I wonder if this will be the time when Fleet and Downing Streets decide to call time on our hijinks.

OP's fine rather than fined though, I'm really just jealous of that go-faster pistol. ;) 

It’s a stretch, but gain could sit on either side - managing to get a RIF without a defence, making a sale without confirming a valid defence, and loss being the risk of an invalid RIF sale fine.

But that’s all moot, nobody is ever going to find out ……. Unless one of the parties confesses on the internet ….

Looks good

Here's a thought. With all the sites that have closed in the last year, there's probably quite a lot of long time players who now don't have site membership. I wonder if this is pushing impatient players to buy a defence and retailers to be a bit more open to other defences. 

I'm not saying it's OK, just that it might be a factor 

4 hours ago, Cannonfodder said:

Looks good

Here's a thought. With all the sites that have closed in the last year, there's probably quite a lot of long time players who now don't have site membership. I wonder if this is pushing impatient players to buy a defence and retailers to be a bit more open to other defences. 

I'm not saying it's OK, just that it might be a factor 

Thank you, she really does look the part now.

potentially your right as the site I am going to is closing down soon, they are looking for a new site but not sure if they have found one yet. If they close before mid February, I wouldn’t have been able to get my UKARA through them anyways so I am glad I found out about the MVT.

• Supporters
On 25/12/2021 at 07:34, TheNotoriousLoki said:

I am glad I found out about the MVT

It is actually a useful thing to know about, I got stuffed by my local getting locked down then closing down, and lost my UKARA for a year.

Gun looks great, and since the defence for modification is future  intent, having a game day booked should satisfy it regardless of any membership.  Just between us (and the public record), I bought two-tones after my first day then had the paint stripped off within an hour of receiving them on the basis of having further days booked.

Rub, rub here
Rub, rub there
Whether you're tin or plas-tic
That's how we keep you realis-tic
In the merry old land of Boz.

5 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

It is actually a useful thing to know about, I got stuffed by my local getting locked down then closing down, and lost my UKARA for a year.

Gun looks great, and since the defence for modification is future  intent, having a game day booked should satisfy it regardless of any membership.  Just between us (and the public record), I bought two-tones after my first day then had the paint stripped off within an hour of receiving them on the basis of having further days booked.

Rub, rub here
Rub, rub there
Whether you're tin or plas-tic
That's how we keep you realis-tic
In the merry old land of Boz.

Thanks, she does look sexy now. She was also shooting relative straight today. Also crono’d at 320 (the highest of the day).

I was intending on getting my UKARA but didn’t want a pistol sprayed blue so did it for that. Will still get my UKARA to be safe. 

Aye, I painted over my two tones with OD pretty sharpish as well. I actually rather liked the bright green and black combo however it made me stand out like a neon lit sign in the woods.

Glad to hear you're having fun Loki and enjoying your purchases!

14 minutes ago, Ebeneezer Goode said:

Aye, I painted over my two tones with OD pretty sharpish as well. I actually rather liked the bright green and black combo however it made me stand out like a neon lit sign in the woods.

Glad to hear you're having fun Loki and enjoying your purchases!

Yeah really enjoying it and off again tomorrow to play some more. 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.