Scam or stupidity

Samlondon

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

This is a bit of a long story but I’m trying to work out if I was being scammed or the seller was just being stupid.

I bought a Kris Vector of a guy on here and it was being shipped from Spain. I did all the usual got videos of the gun, proof they were current, paid with PayPal goods and services etc.

So we negotiated a price I pay pretty strait forward. He ships (TNT) the gun sends me the details and says it will be with me in about a week. Nice!

Two weeks go by and nothing. Then We both get notifications the shipment needs more documentation, not a problem he just needs to provide the documents. Another week the shipment is then sent back to Spain for the missing documentation.

ok so I contact him tell him and wait another few weeks. He says he has it back and will re send. Ok fine, a month goes by nothing so I contact him and get an excuse he is at work, then the following week he is on holiday and the following week it’s a national holiday he will do it tomorrow. Then another month goes by and it’s excuse after excuse.

finally he says he has sent it. So I ask for proof of postage and for weeks get excuse after excuse (it’s at my other house, my mum is ill) then says he does not have it and was never provided with it. I contact the shipper they won’t speak to me buy I get responses from them. He says they won’t reply to him and more excuses.

I ask for a refund and there are more excuses. It’s been 4 months and I have had enough!

I make a claim with PayPal for my money back. He begs me not to and that he is suing the shippers and I can get my money back when they give him compensation. 

He then says it’s his ex girlfriends PayPal and please stop the claim.

At this point i have had enough I now have my money back and am not answering his texts.

full chat can be found here

Scam or stupidly?

https://imgur.com/a/LxbUCvb

Since you received notification of documents needed I think he just got caught out by the Brexit fiasco.

He then got a bit stupid with the delays. You did the right thing by waiting a good amount of time (many would say too long)

I would certainly avoid buying or selling second hand abroad

• Supporters

+1 to him being honest to begin with, then realising that he's got your money and the RIF, and that he might end up with both if he just does nothing.

Well, you did the right thing, although I agree that I wouldn't have left it that long. It's harsh on sellers and senders at the moment, but ultimately you just have to mash that "Refund, now" button, and the sooner you do it, the sooner you're back where you started. And 1000% on never, ever cancelling a refund claim.

The Spaniard thought I've got his money and the gun back, viva el presidente!  Only 2 weeks ago I had a similar thing from someone in the UK, supposed to send me something.

1.  I have to work this week but will send it after.

2. I'm busy this week with my child, the wife will send it.

3. I have important family business abroad I will be back in 2 weeks time.

4. I'm back in the UK now but in hospital with COVID...

In the end he admitted he couldn't find it and just sent me the money 🙂

Guest DrAlexanderTobacco
8 hours ago, Steveocee said:

Why has your common sense not kicked in that buying from abroad, especially privately wouldn't be an absolute nightmare? Paperwork as it's an imitation firearm for a start and then probably that YOU have a valid defence for receiving it.

You're overstating how difficult it is to buy something internationally, even a RIF. It's actually pretty easy, it's done all the time - private or business. Brexit/etc adds complexity but the clear issue here is the seller not taking the sale seriously enough - whether that's laziness or scamming.

Edited by DrAlexanderTobacco

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.