Double Eagle M907D - Is it worth buying?

SovietSloth

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I don't have much experience with airsoft in general as i only recently a couple months ago.

I was wondering if the M907D or just Double eagle in general are worth buying? if not any suggestions for an m4 platform thats around £200-£250?

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/double-eagle-m907d-m4-aeg-w-falcon-fire-control-system

https://www.taiwangun.com/assault-rifle-aeg/m907d-fire-control-system-edition-de

Edited by SovietSloth

Abso-bloody-lutely!

Lots of us DE M900 owners here, and I think we're united in being happy with our purchases.  The major problem has been getting hold of them, but I did notice BBguns4less of all places has now got a bunch of guns in stock.

While all the 900 series guns have different rails and receivers, the internals are the same, so all the upgrade advice is the same

Review thread...

More recent thread...

my accessories thread

https://airsoft-forums.uk/topic/52888-essential-and-not-so-essential-bits-to-bling-my-new-de-m906c-to-the-max-well-a-little-bit/

There are more out there I think

11 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Abso-bloody-lutely!

Lots of us DE M900 owners here, and I think we're united in being happy with our purchases.  The major problem has been getting hold of them, but I did notice BBguns4less of all places has now got a bunch of guns in stock.

While all the 900 series guns have different rails and receivers, the internals are the same, so all the upgrade advice is the same

Review thread...

More recent thread...

my accessories thread

https://airsoft-forums.uk/topic/52888-essential-and-not-so-essential-bits-to-bling-my-new-de-m906c-to-the-max-well-a-little-bit/

There are more out there I think

Thanks for the reply was very helpful! I will definitely give those threads a read, I have already watched a couple reviews on similar models which were all positive and wanted to come on here to check as I have read that DE aren't too great.

Double Eagle used to make rubbish springers that could be had for pocket money prices, that's where their bad reputation comes from.  Their current guns' reputation is good 👍

The technology is also excellent, the fire control system with binary fire and burst mode are so easy to program.

They're not perfect... mine doesn't seem to like the cold at all, so after 4 skirmishes I'm preparing to do some work on it with a new spring, hop rubber and nub, and a bit of general cleaning and lubing.

But I don't think anyone has had theirs actually break on them, which is pretty damned good for our little toy gnus 😁

@SovietSloth Hi, any particular reason for the M907D?

The reason I ask is that the D's are bit of a grey area with their inner barrel not being short for CQB or long enough to be a potential base for a DMR, but it may just be that you like the look of it?

If where you play has a 350 FPS AEG limit the shorter barreled M90X's will be around 340 to 345 out of the box. If you do want a longer inner barrel, are maybe thinking of the future and a DMR (as it would need a few tweaks), the M906A and M907A are a better bet as they both have 420mm inner barrels (but are out of stock everywhere in the UK).

If you're itching to buy an M90X though Patrol Base are totally out of stock, however both Bespoke Airsoft and the dreaded BBGUNS4LESSS have stock 👍

8 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Double Eagle used to make rubbish springers that could be had for pocket money prices...

If you're interested they still do, and this is their core business globally.

For example the "discount" shop where I live has a few springers in their toy section, over 18's only of course wink wink (not for teenage scallys down the skate park), and half of them are Double Eagle's 😆

Edited by Fatboy40

15 minutes ago, Fatboy40 said:

the shorter barreled M90X's will be around 340 to 345 out of the box

Note - there's at least a couple of us M90x owners not getting 340+ fps - we're down at ~300fps, dropping to low 200's in the cold.   

Maybe we've been unlucky, maybe the guns just need a clean out, and as I'm about to embark with some serious fiddling, perhaps I'll find an answer. 

(I'm no tech so chances are equally high that my gun will end up in little plastic bags ready for someone else to put back together)

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

• Supporters
13 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

we're down at ~300fps, dropping to low 200's in the cold

Airsoft technology is weird, I was if anything slightly up on Sunday at 2C.

not had that experience myself but it would be useful if someone chrono'd there DE in the warm after the AEG hasd warmed up. if it's back to normal FPS then I'd have a look at the rubbers (hop rubber or piston rubber) and maybe  re-grease the cylinder as these are the only parts I can think that would be effected by the cold. (rubber will go hard and provide poor airseal and grease will thicken and increase friction slowing down the piston).

1 hour ago, mightyjebus said:

not had that experience myself but it would be useful if someone chrono'd there DE in the warm after the AEG hasd warmed up. if it's back to normal FPS then I'd have a look at the rubbers (hop rubber or piston rubber) and maybe  re-grease the cylinder as these are the only parts I can think that would be effected by the cold. (rubber will go hard and provide poor air seal and grease will thicken and increase friction slowing down the piston).

So far, and to the best of my recollection:

Chrono'd when at room temp 21C = 290-310fps

Chrono'd on Sunday at 4C = 230fps

Chrono'd previous games at 6-10C = 270fps

It does seem very temperature dependent, but I'm not totally ruling out some other "Factor X", like bad lube, a damaged hop rubber, or gunk in the barrel etc.
I'm holding off my disassembly until tomorrow when I'm first going to do some 'before' tests of fps / rps / accuracy at ~20m.

Then I'll swallow a couple of brave pills / drink half a bottle of vodka and change the spring (for M100 or M105) / hop rubber / nub, and spray some silicone into cylinder (and blast it out), clean the barrel.

To be honest, looking at the video linked below, it's not too tricky as long as I don't crack the gearbox open to check the lube inside... 
Pheas airsoft M904 disassembly video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijqsUFI5Wt4&t=739s&ab_channel=PheasAirsoft

Then I'll re-test.

If I've got the time and patience, and it's cold enough, I'll leave the gun outside to get it chilly to see what the difference is on my chrono, both before and after doing the upgrade.

PS @SovietSloth Sorry about slightly derailing your thread - it happens every time ;)  The on-topic takeaway should be that the DE guns are good, but not perfect, some are doing better than others but I'm certainly still very happy I bought mine.  Hopefully there'll be some useful extra info come out of this CSI-style forensic testing!

Oh damnit, more weirdness.  I'm doing that 'before' accuracy test, and even though it's at room temp again, I'm only getting 270-275fps!

I ended up shooting at 15m and I've got a total group size of 5" x 3.5" from around 30 shots, including 4 flyers, from a bench rest.   
Most of the shots actually landed in a 3.5" x 2.5" area, on a slight diagonal slant from top-left to bottom-right, suggesting I was pulling the shots a little.

Cheapo Bio BBs bought at the site ... 'BB Kings' so they might not be doing the gun any favours.  That's all I've got at the moment. 

And I didn't have a very visible aiming mark, so some of that will be me as well. 

I'll probably have another crack at it.

On 21/12/2021 at 14:40, Fatboy40 said:

the M906A and M907A are a better bet as they both have 420mm inner barrels (but are out of stock everywhere in the UK).

There wasnt any particular reason to be honest i think it just caught my eye, i will have a look at those as well as i won't be buying it for a little while im just currently having a look at some guns to see which is the best to go for when the time comes.

• 3 months later...
  • Supporters

Have you heard the good news, friend?

Looking for the next step up in AEGs. Beginner to Intermediate - Guns, Gear  & Loadouts - Airsoft Forums UK

The M90XY range all look to have the same internals, i.e. gearbox, fire control system, rotary hop and quick change spring.  The differences are in the stock, the barrel length, and the construction materials, with alloy receivers or handguards adding more cost and a bit more weight.

That won't effect the performance one whit - the BB really doesn't know or care, absent some arguments about barrel stabilisation that are more of a concern for long barrelled DMR builds. For a UK spec 1.1J AEG, barrel length isn't that important, and anything over 6" is just bragging.

Decent polymer can be tougher than ropey Chinesium pot metal, so don't let that put you off either.

Given the parlous stock situation at the moment, it's really a question of finding the one that'll give you the hardest PP when shooting a BB, that's in budget and in stock.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Wraithspider said:

So, is the 'Falcon Fire Control System' a MOSFET and ETU or just a ETU?

It's more than either. ETU just means a microswitch to turn the trigger circuit on and off.  MOSFET really just means a relay to allow higher current flow - you can get mosfets that do only that, like the Gate X-ASR or basic Perun.  However, most airsoft "MOSFETS" do more, and the DE system is quite well featured with burst modes and a wanker-gun binary triggers.

That's my knowledge of it tapped out, I'm not sure if it does pre-cocking or not, which is more of a CQB concern.

It's pretty good for the price, is the take-away point, and cheaper than adding something equivalent like a Perun AB++ to pretty much any stock gun.  You have to go up to a Specna Arms Edge 2.0 and its optical Gate Aster control system to get (maybe) a little get more bang, for a bit more buck.

3 hours ago, Wraithspider said:

Also, is the metal or polymer DE stronger/more reliable?

That's a very specific question which can only be answered by someone who has an example of each.

I have no robustness concerns about any of my "polymer" guns, from a JG G36 with moderately decent plastic, to bargain basement CYMA M4 and Galaxy MP5K with quite toyish shells. My Specna Edge alloy receiver does feel a little more tacticool, but it's very subjective.  G&G Raider plastic guns, for example, also feel pretty nice in the hand.

Hopefully someone will speak up about how the DE plastic measures up, but ultimately it'll come down to how much it tickles your digits.  I wouldn't rule out polymer guns, at least until you've compared and contrasted personally.

5 hours ago, Wraithspider said:

So, is the 'Falcon Fire Control System' a MOSFET and ETU or just a ETU?

Also, is the metal or polymer DE stronger/more reliable?

Thanks.

I've two DE's and look after a third (my sons), all three have been fully disassembled multiple times to the level of the gearbox having been in pieces (M904E, M906C and an M908A).

Really it's not a MOSFET or an ETU, it's a "controller" like a GATE Titan or Perun Hybrid with optical sensors, however it's a much cheaper "knock off" so you've no pre-cocking and active-braking etc. (also the "battery protection" isn't as sophisticated as say the GATE Titan). Having said all that though, for what can be a £160 rifle depending upon the model, they're bloody amazing (trigger response and rate of fire).

Regarding which material is "stronger" it's finely balanced, but for the best long term strength I'd have to say the polymer. The metal bodies on the M900's are not all that thick, and I'm as certain as I can be that they're of a cheap alloy to keep costs low (it was so easy using just a manual hand drill to modify my M908A to create a hole in the lower receiver to fit a nut and bolt to lock it to semi-only for a DMR), but the polymer is very rigid and can take a good hard knock.

On 15/04/2022 at 20:55, Fatboy40 said:

I've two DE's and look after a third (my sons), all three have been fully disassembled multiple times to the level of the gearbox having been in pieces (M904E, M906C and an M908A).

Really it's not a MOSFET or an ETU, it's a "controller" like a GATE Titan or Perun Hybrid with optical sensors, however it's a much cheaper "knock off" so you've no pre-cocking and active-braking etc. (also the "battery protection" isn't as sophisticated as say the GATE Titan). Having said all that though, for what can be a £160 rifle depending upon the model, they're bloody amazing (trigger response and rate of fire).

Regarding which material is "stronger" it's finely balanced, but for the best long term strength I'd have to say the polymer. The metal bodies on the M900's are not all that thick, and I'm as certain as I can be that they're of a cheap alloy to keep costs low (it was so easy using just a manual hand drill to modify my M908A to create a hole in the lower receiver to fit a nut and bolt to lock it to semi-only for a DMR), but the polymer is very rigid and can take a good hard knock.

So, you think it would be better to go 'polymer' (904* version) and save a few extra £££'s over the metal versions (906*, 907* & 908* versions)? 🤔

If you like the feel of metal in your hands, then go for the more expensive one, I don't think the weight difference is very much.
Personally, I've got mine covered in a Novritsch camo cover at the moment, and have a stubby grip mounted, so I'm rarely touching the metal, but I do like it very much - the m-lok handguard is very nice, and the metal looks good to my eyes, and it does feel very solid.

My local site has a few 904's and I've been impressed with them too... but I'd probably still spring the extra cash for metal, if I had to buy another as my primary or main backup.    It depends how much.  Before Xmas, the metal vs polymer had a £20 difference in price, now it seems that has grown a lot...

PatrolBase now has stock of 904's.  The cheapest, the 904G is £145.   That is such a bargain.

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/double-eagle-m904g-honey-badger-w-fire-control-system-edition?pv=13406

BBGuns4Less has the 906C (my metal version) at £190.  Ouch-y... £45 extra for metal.    I suggest that if you do want full metal, go the whole hog and get the 908.  It has the metal parts, long barrel, and most importantly a PTS EPS style stock that will take nunchuck batteries.  I don't know if it's as good as the EPS, but that's a £50 item.
https://bbguns4less.co.uk/products/double-eagle-m908a-ar15-rifle-with-falcon-system-in-black.html

12 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

I don't know if it's as good as the EPS, but that's a £50 item.

No where near as good unfortunately, construction / internal space / fiddly to remove the end cap, it's just a typical "crane" stock that they'll have bought from another Chinese manufacturer I expected (having said all that though it's "good enough").

For reference I paid £175 Autumn 2021 for a M906C, so that a £15 increase :(

59 minutes ago, Fatboy40 said:

No where near as good unfortunately, construction / internal space / fiddly to remove the end cap, it's just a typical "crane" stock that they'll have bought from another Chinese manufacturer I expected (having said all that though it's "good enough").

For reference I paid £175 Autumn 2021 for a M906C, so that a £15 increase :(

Ah that's a shame.  That makes the value proposition of the 908 that bit less attractive. 

I think I paid about the same for my 906, £170 or £180 at the start of November

So that really leaves the 904g at £145 as the best deal.  Its so cheap I'm almost tempted to buy one for myself as my backup backup 😋

• Supporters

As others have said it’s what you think about the feel of it in your hand that’s the real decider , wether your happy with polymer or you MUST have metal for that ‘real’ gun feel , as actual material wise I’d go polymer every time due to the fact most every metal airsoft gun on the market is made from metal that has the tensile strength of dried Himalayan YAK snot and will break with even the lightest of impacts compared to a real gun ! 🤦‍♂️ Where as polymer has the smallest amount of flex so ‘mite’ survive the metal gun killing nose dive you take as you go arse over tit trying to run into the objective like the god of war you think you are ? 😉

• Supporters
4 hours ago, Fatboy40 said:

For reference I paid £175 Autumn 2021 for a M906C, so that a £15 increase

Given the currency devaluation / inflation situation, and (literally) half of China being locked in their pods at the moment, I'd only expect that to go up, sharply.  They're not going to get any cheaper or more available.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.