Wife just bought me a specna arms e07 edge need advice on parts and upgrades

steverebo

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I mentioned that I wanted to start doing airsoft so my wide treated me to a specna arms 07 edge. I have read a lot of stuff and watched a lot of videos and the concesus was I been to open it and Check its all OK give a good lube a d remove any rough bits so whilst in there I think I might replace a few bits but being new I wondered if I could have a bit of guidance.

I was looking ate going with the below:

Rocket SHS 13:1

OR

Rocket SHS 16:1 GEARS 

SHS high torque 16tpa motor

J-caged 8mm bearings 

Prometheus purple hop rubber

BP customs m4 timer trigger

Replacement o-rings 

How does all this sound and will it work?

No harm in chucking a nicer hop rubber in it maybe even a nicer barrel if you want to throw some more money at it.  But as the others said if the gearbox is ticking over fine at a reasonable consistent enough power leave it be till it breaks.

Edited by heroshark

Yes I know, I know touching it straight away is silly. I Will obviously have a play with it first but having seen every video showing the orion gearbox and the lack of grease and some qc issues that need cleaning up being a bit of a tinkerer (custom watercooling/3d printing) I'm not too scared of ha ing a play

2 minutes ago, heroshark said:

No harm in chucking a nicer hop rubber in it maybe even a nicer barrel if you want to throw some more money at it.  But as the others said if the gearbox is ticking over fine at a reasonable power leave it be till it breaks.

What barrel would you recommend? 

• Supporters
24 minutes ago, steverebo said:

Yes I know, I know touching it straight away is silly. I Will obviously have a play with it first but having seen every video showing the orion gearbox and the lack of grease and some qc issues that need cleaning up being a bit of a tinkerer (custom watercooling/3d printing) I'm not too scared of ha ing a play

What barrel would you recommend? 

Mate without intending to be harsh but you know jack shit about Airsofting and your planning to rip your new gun apart (that you haven’t even used yet !) because you’ve seen some YouTube vid’s ?😳 Chill out , take a breath , go to your 1ST skirmish day use it then repeat this process multiple time THEN start thinking “do I need to upgrade XYZ in it or not ?” 🤔

Belive me you’ll enjoy the sport a lot more if you learn to walk before even think about running .😉

👍😁

13 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

Mate without intending to be harsh but you know jack shit about Airsofting and your planning to rip your new gun apart (that you haven’t even used yet !) because you’ve seen some YouTube vid’s ?😳 Chill out , take a breath , go to your 1ST skirmish day use it then repeat this process multiple time THEN start thinking “do I need to upgrade XYZ in it or not ?” 🤔

Belive me you’ll enjoy the sport a lot more if you learn to walk before even think about running .😉

👍😁

Very true and your right despite all the vids and articles I have read I don't have a clue about the sport yet just very excited and want to buy new things for my new toy and make it my own.

Any recommendations on what I could buy for it that does not involve playing with the gearbox for now?

I did grab a nuprol 11.1v 30c battery and smart charger 

• Supporters
7 hours ago, steverebo said:

Very true and your right despite all the vids and articles I have read I don't have a clue about the sport yet just very excited and want to buy new things for my new toy and make it my own.

Any recommendations on what I could buy for it that does not involve playing with the gearbox for now?

I did grab a nuprol 11.1v 30c battery and smart charger 

Do nothing to the gun internally until you have played a fair bit and see if there is anything you feel like needs improving. Trying to upgrade a gun without a goal and the knowledge is pointless and will 99% percent of the time just make it worse.

Chuck a few external bits on like a red dot or scope and get a sling.

Return the nuprol smart charger and get a sky rc t100.

tinkers gotta tinkle 🙂 Play with it, buy a 2nd tickle your heart away.  If you do feel the urge try some different buckings.  Prom ain't bad, it's a good standard design.  Maple Leaf also do some pretty good ones.  Experiment with those, give the barrel a nice clean, polish it if you really want to.

Cheers guys for the advice maybe a bone yard gun after a few months of playing will tickle that tinkering itch,

what speed loader and mid cap mags would you guys recommend?

Just grabbed a red dot sight and owning a 3d printer has some advantages as I have printed a nicer fore grip and a mag well is on the print bed now

15 minutes ago, steverebo said:

Cheers guys for the advice maybe a bone yard gun after a few months of playing will tickle that tinkering itch,

what speed loader and mid cap mags would you guys recommend?

Just grabbed a red dot sight and owning a 3d printer has some advantages as I have printed a nicer fore grip and a mag well is on the print bed now

a proper Odin speed loader is exspensive but worth it compared to the knock offs. Mag wise it's generally better to stick to the same brand as the gun but with Airsoft that's not a guarantee. Generally MAG mid caps have a relatively high capacity and are more likely to feed fine than other brands. You take commissions for printing might pay the next gun?

1 hour ago, BigStew said:

a proper Odin speed loader is exspensive but worth it compared to the knock offs. Mag wise it's generally better to stick to the same brand as the gun but with Airsoft that's not a guarantee. Generally MAG mid caps have a relatively high capacity and are more likely to feed fine than other brands. You take commissions for printing might pay the next gun?

Brill I feel really need to waste money on something for this gun so I will grab the speed loader and MAG mags.

Yes I do do commmissions on the side to fund the cost of my filaments and printer bits.

Didn't realise till now how much can be printed for airsoft

25 minutes ago, steverebo said:

Brill I feel really need to waste money on something for this gun so I will grab the speed loader and MAG mags.

Yes I do do commmissions on the side to fund the cost of my filaments and printer bits.

Didn't realise till now how much can be printed for airsoft

I can also add tracer to list of toys to get before you upgrade. What size printer bed you have? If ok I'll pm you when I finish work.

Looking at the spec it already has a precision 6.03 barrel of some sort. Won't be as quality as some barrels but should really be good enough.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, BigStew said:

a proper Odin speed loader is exspensive but worth it compared to the knock offs

I respectfully disagree, I've been using a knock off happily for years.  The handles break off, always, but it's not rocket surgery to fettle something on, and OP is a 3d sorceror.  Worse case, you can get a knockoff + a whole new set of Odin internals for less than an Odin.  I just wouldn't recommend sinking big money into anything for someone who hasn't played yet.  Eyepro, boots, then get out and play.

My Specna is actually fairly fussy about midcaps, although to be fair most of mine have tired springs. It works well with its own midcaps, or hi-caps.

If you do want to swap barrels, ZCI or AOLS are both decent for not much money, and of course Maple Leaf or Prometheus rubbers.

Specnas are back to being decent enough out of the box, they shouldn't need anything done except for a barrel clean.  Even the lube on mine was actually on the gears rather than just sneezed all over the shell.  One thing to be aware of is that they come with an M120 spring (too spicy) and an M90, and will likely have the M90 fitted.  It's sufficient, but I'd suggest throwing an M100 in there for woodland use - all conditional on what air seal and actual muzzle energy you get.

On that, if you are going to get into airsoft teching, a chrono is pretty much required in order to avoid chrono oopsies at site - I've had a couple of guns accidentally come out way hot after getting the air seal spot on, and had to down-spring them.

I agree that the best thing to do with that Nuprol charger is return it as soon as possible, before it ruins your battery or burns your house down.  That isn't a joke, we'd had multiple reports of fires.  SkyRC stuff is where it's at, an S65 will be fine for most people.

And I completely get the urge to tinker, I'm forever messing around with my collection even while saying "Stop it, Rog, you know what's going to happen."  Straight up though, if you actually intend to play, getting one working, stock gun and leaving it alone, particularly inside the gearbox, is a solid plan.  Those child slave labourers are getting pretty good at what they do.

Many videos and Reddit threads you'll see or read are... idiomatic to problematic.  Approach with an open mind as regarding their veracity.

Cheers guys you have all been a great help I've gone and purchased a zci 6.02 294mm barrel and Prometheus purple bucking and nub and I have 3d printed a much nicer foregrip and a magwell in petg that both look lovely currently printing a holder for my surefire torch (I didn't buy it it was issued to me as a recruit many years back) and I've got a dual mag holder and some keymod covers ready to print

Also where can I grab a cheap chrono?

On 17/12/2021 at 10:23, BigStew said:

I can also add tracer to list of toys to get before you upgrade. What size printer bed you have? If ok I'll pm you when I finish work.

I have a cr6 se printer 235 x 235 print bed I print pla and petg 

Edited by steverebo

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.