Airsoft Terminology

Cameron364
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Right reading some of the posts and every one seems to be talking in code, I am getting lost with all the 3/4 letter abbreviations of everything,

What do the following mean, these are just the ones I can remember,

SAAV

BDU

DPM

DDPM

In OD, as in something being in OD

PMC

These are just the ones I can remember

• Supporters

South African Assault Vest - a type of simple vest, fixed pouches, cheap, great for beginners

Battle Dress Uniform - your camo/fighting outfit

Disruptive Pattern Material - British woodland camo

Desert DPM - the same, but for sandy places (some people say it means "Digital DPM" which is pixelated DPM)

Olive Drab - the dark olive colour that you can get tac gear in

Private Military Contractor - people like blackwater, private security forces, or as sometimes called; mercenaries.

Hope that helps :)

• Supporters

South African assault vest

Battle dress uniform (camo gear)

Disruptive pattern material (British woodland camo)

Desert disruptive pattern material (British desert camo)

Olive drab as in colour, olive green

para military contractors- bassicaly mercenaries

A mercenary is an ex soldier hired to fight and kill in somebody else's war, a PMC is a private security company hired by a foreign government who hires ex soldiers to protect equipment or VIP's as like the companies who do such work in Iraq at the moment.

My mate who is like a brother to me is an ex soldier who is employed by a PMC out in Iraq to protect important material assets and VIP's, he does not fight and kill unless fired upon first hence not a mercenary

Without wanting to cause offense (I'm sure your mate is a totally upstanding fella), but after everything with Blackwater, I don't distinguish between the two any more.

well may I suggest that you don't tar all private security companies with the same brush as my mate is hired by a british PMC, he never fires until someone shoots at him first :)

Archived