Is it dumb to return this gun?

mike223

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I recently bought a used ics pcr 97 The old one with the gray body. Anyways I was  tinkering  around with it and I found out the safety doesn’t really work. It works if you don’t press very hard on the trigger but if you pull any harder it will pull back like it’s in semi auto and fire.

Would this be a dumb reason to return it? Or would it be stupid to ask for him to pay for the stuff I didn’t know about? (If I need a new tappet plate onto fix it or something  idk) As well as possibly a motor screw missing? Or should I consider filing a claim and having him pay for the tappet plate and screw or whatever I need?
(I didn’t know about these things, he said it works fine, nothing about the safety issue or about the missing screw) He also said “sold as is” but I think id still be able to return it or have him buy the stuff as I didn’t know about this stuff mainly the safety thing. 

It also came with a gate MERF 3.2 mosfet. When I tested firing it the first time I was shooting it in semi auto and then after a couple shots when I pulled back the trigger I’d see the mosfet light up with a green light and was flashing through the ris rails (idk what that means). But then I just tried it again and it worked for handful of times I fired it in both semi auto and full auto. Also I don’t have a button to program it but I hear you can use the trigger if you detach the motor. 

I’d maybe mess around with this but I wanna know if the saftey issue is easily fixed and if there’s anything wrong with the mosfet. And I don’t wanna end up breaking it in case I want a refund. Otherwise from what I can see there’s nothing wrong with it (externally wise anyways, idk about internally) besides worn body/paint, wiggly ris/ front sight and missing flash hider.

Also there might be the screw to adjust the motor that is missing as well since there’s a hole in the middle of the bottom plate with nothing in it.

Edited by mike223

• Supporters
3 hours ago, mike223 said:

used

If you actually received something that shoots a BB when you pull the trigger 9 times out of 10, I'd call that a win.  That sounds like it's "working fine" to me.

Sorry to be harsh, but if you want an unconditional right of return and new gun performance, then new guns at new prices are available.

On the issues, a selector (not tappet) plate costs £5 delivered, if that's the problem. It might be, I've had a similar safety issue when changing tappet plates, but the solution was to bin off the trigger-block piece so that the trigger can be pulled back freely in safe, but without moving the tappet plate off of safe and allowing a connection to be made. Cost, zero.  You won't know until you have a look.

If the motor adjustment screw is actually missing, I'd expect the motor to be too low and sound like a bag of angry wasps with spanners, if it was engaging at all.  Are you sure that it's missing?  It may be a tiny hex grub screw, deeply recessed.  Easy enough to check: take the base off the pistol grip (expect the motor shim disc to drop out, stupid little things that they are) and check if there's a screw projecting inside it enough to push on the shim.

Dunno about the mosfet, I consider them to be just another thing to go wrong.  You could rewire back to standard wiring and flog the mosfet on as "working fine", right? ;) 

• Supporters
5 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

If you actually received something that shoots a BB when you pull the trigger 9 times out of 10, I'd call that a win.  That's sounds like it's "working fine" to me.

Sorry to be harsh, but if you want an unconditional right of return and new gun performance, then new guns at new prices are available.

sounds about right.

this is precisely why secondhand guns lose so much of their value because there's no comeback if somethings up with it.

As said above, if it shoots then it could be described as 'working'.

Yeah, the seller is a bit of a douche for not stating all the things wrong with it but that's the second-hand market for you.  Its also up to the buyer to probe for any possible failures in the description.

(This is why its generally riskier for new players to buy used)

Whenever you buy used you have to be ready to do some tinkering and fixing up even if all seems fine.

Doesn't sound like there's anything seriously wrong with it.  Have a careful look to see if the selector plate has any damage or wear that would limit its movement.  

• Supporters
8 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Yeah, the seller is a bit of a douche for not stating all the things wrong with it

in defense of the seller, many folks in this hobby aren't that into the techy side of things and might genuinely not notice/think a big deal about little external issues let alone the myriad gremlins that could be going on inside.

3 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

in defense of the seller, many folks in this hobby aren't that into the techy side of things and might genuinely not notice/think a big deal about little external issues let alone the myriad gremlins that could be going on inside.

Yes, its possible but not noticing safe isn't working or a missing screw is a bit dubious.

• Supporters

Did you buy it here, & from who ?, I ask as a lot can be gauged from people's history/feedback, kinda things that might have set off alarm bells in more experienced players. 

But ultimately you bought a used, & probably fairly old gun, with a "sold as seen" type disclaimer, depending on what you paid, which should dictate whether it's worth pursuing further, or whether to suck it up & spend a wee bit more on correcting what appear to be low cost issues. 

1 hour ago, Tackle said:

Did you buy it here, & from who ?, I ask as a lot can be gauged from people's history/feedback, kinda things that might have set off alarm bells in more experienced players. 

But ultimately you bought a used, & probably fairly old gun, with a "sold as seen" type disclaimer, depending on what you paid, which should dictate whether it's worth pursuing further, or whether to suck it up & spend a wee bit more on correcting what appear to be low cost issues. 

I bought it on the HopUp app and I got it for a $100, so I guess it wasnt a lot compared to what it would have been many years ago. And I suppose I should probably suck it up as they aren’t major dealbreakers I would assume and like you said possibly quite low cost as well. The good stuff is at least it works and it’s an ics with a split box and a metal body plus the mosfet if it works for $100. 

I saw a basically new looking ics 22 going for $230 probably because it looks new due to being a training gun. Also it was rebuilt with all new parts internally. Matrix barrel, spring and piston, rocket gears, bolt motor. (maybe that was the better option since it’s basically all new plus a battery, sling, peq box and its rear wired to deans. With a mosfet but he said he hasn’t gotten it to work. but for over double what I bought this for).

The only thing is I need to figure out why the mosfet did what it did and the safety issue.   

• Supporters
7 hours ago, EDcase said:

Yes, its possible but not noticing safe isn't working or a missing screw is a bit dubious.

Not necessarily, for folk who really arent tech savvy, and how often do you squeeze the trigger with safe on?

Its what spares are for.

Sale of Goods Act 

KEY INFORMATION

Your second-hand shopping rights

• Second-hand goods bought from online retailers are covered by the Consumer Contracts Regulations.
  • If you buy second-hand goods from a retailer, you're also covered by the Consumer Rights Act.
  • Buyer beware if you’re buying from a private seller - they don't have to draw attention to defects.

Take note of the LAST BULLET POINT....

The same applies to buying at AUCTIONS and other forms of sites that you use bidding to purchase an item.

The onus is on you to ask the right questions and also see the goods before you buy as then you have some comeback.

• Supporters
36 minutes ago, AirSniper said:

Its what spares are for.

Sale of Goods Act 

KEY INFORMATION

• Second-hand goods bought from online retailers are covered by the Consumer Contracts Regulations.
  • If you buy second-hand goods from a retailer, you're also covered by the Consumer Rights Act.
  • Buyer beware if you’re buying from a private seller - they don't have to draw attention to defects.

The same applies to buying at AUCTIONS and other forms of sites that you use bidding to purchase an item.

The onus is on you to ask the right questions and also see the goods before you buy as then you have some comeback.

Read the op's replies, it's likely he's US based, & therefore not covered by most of the stuff you've mentioned 🤔

8 hours ago, Tackle said:

Read the op's replies, it's likely he's US based, & therefore not covered by most of the stuff you've mentioned 🤔

That is correct, I am US based. If I really wanted to im sure I could get a refund as I bought through paypal and they usually favor the buyer in claims anyways. But idk if I will or not as mentioned its possibly an easy fix.

9 hours ago, AirSniper said:

Its what spares are for.

Sale of Goods Act 

KEY INFORMATION

Yeah I guess thats possibly true that I need to give the seller a good probing lol. If I am ever in the market to buy anything again used I will ask for more pictures and videos I suppose.

https://imgur.com/a/Abkxlr2

Here is a picture of the bottom of the grip.

On 03/12/2021 at 19:01, Tackle said:

Then they need to kook up their rights in the USA.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.