Best fan goggle, Smith out of the wire vs ESS turbo fan

Halo

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

They seem to favour the smith but anyone had the ESS?

On the weekend I tried top end Bolle tactical, Wiley Nerve and Blueye SOS and they all fogged until I replaced my helmet (no vents) with a breathable mesh cap and it fogged only during brakes  which is were I want to use the fan….

• Supporters

I have the ESS ones. I also sweat like a glassblowers arse.

One cold days, after I've been running about and then stop still for a bit I get a bit of fogging in the top of the bridge area but it clears pretty quickly once you start moving again. The only issue I have with mine is that the foam gasket on the inside that goes up against your face disintegrated and relacing it is nigh on impossible.

Another one to consider is the Revision Desert Locust Fan Goggles https://www.tactical-kit.co.uk/revision-desert-locust-fan-goggle-essential-kit-15381-p.asp

• Supporters

I bought some of the Smiths a while back purely so I had a set with a battery pack that's easily relocatable, but I've owned a couple of pairs of ESS Turbofans for.. more years than I can remember.  I rate kit the most if it basically vanishes while in use and I don't notice it and the ESS fall well in to that category.  I've got plastic mask lower halves zip tied on, I put that combo on my face with the fans on the low setting and go about my game with no worries at all.  Being the cheapest of the 3 I'd say go with the Revisions unless you want a specific colour or to move the power supply; but all great eye pro that I couldn't do this hobby without personally.

I know it's just personal opinion but the price of branded goggles with fans in them is frankly bloody ridiculous.

I've an ExFog, not everyone's cup of tea, but at say £70 for it + £15 for the helmet pouch you can then use absolutely whatever googles you want (a pair of properly safety rated Bolle Coverall Vented googles only cost £8).

• Supporters
11 hours ago, Halo said:

so the ESS clears the fog when you switch them on, how much did you pay for those?

The ESS has a two speed fan, I run mine on low unless I get spectacularly sweaty then I jack it up to high for a bit and it clears fine.

I managed to pick up a boxed pair second hand on ebay for about £60 but new and full price they ARE expensive https://www.tactical-kit.co.uk/ess-profile-turbofan-goggles-9892-p.asp worth it though.

On 01/12/2021 at 11:12, Fatboy40 said:

I know it's just personal opinion but the price of branded goggles with fans in them is frankly bloody ridiculous.

It really is, but you can make your own! Cheap fan goggle rip offs + decent full seal goggles. I did mine for £50, £55 if you count the 10m of sticky back foam I now own. You could also make your own speed controller and such, but I find pulling the fan off of a a cheap pair results in a neater look. 

5.jpg

So my ESS (ex demo) arrived today, didn’t work until I jiggled the wiring together abit and then seems alright, not the best start for £100……can’t say I’m impressed, the foam gasket is really crap and that type you see on the oculus quest 2 that causes irritation and soaks up sweat!  Oculus had to send out silicon covers for it….slow speed it sounds like a bee, mode 2 it’s an audible fan

One guy did this, wish I knew how as I think I’d rather convert my SOS supercell goggles or the Wiley nerve, the bolle ones offer the most room to work with though but the least stylish.  He also claims his fans are less noisy and works better

A31B4ADA-BD2E-420E-9F3E-025064A49F2F.jpeg.29452c75004eec11392437d17db85ccf.jpeg

• Moderators

ive got a set of the Revision ones as well as the ESS ones, Rev are a lower profile but both tbh work the same.

Everybody is different and what will work for me may not for you and vice versa. I use the fans on low most of the time and wipe with fog dx wipes, it helps but there is still some build up from time to time, also used abbey spray but not as effective, others have better experiences with it.

Also a pair of each with foam removed....cheap off the forum and credit card at 0% :lol::rolleyes:

From memory, the Smiths ones i thought werent made any more as i looked to get a set when prices were more reasonable, now they are almost 25%+ more and they couldnt be ordered in

be careful of the FMA type ones, cheaper but lenes are not as good, there are videos on youtube....this was a few years back and they may be thicker now

im lazy though and done have the time or skill to make my own...if someone did....😉

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on the ESS they defo seem to be doing the job, even switched off they fog less than others I’ve tried……that said there not as premium as other goggles I own like blueye sos supercell or Wiley spear but I saw the ex fog and imagine those extractors work wonders but at the price and bulk of them I’ll probably make my own somehow

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.