Drum Mags

Ebeneezer Goode

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Looking at getting an M4 drum mag to use with my AEGs as I'm woeful at reloading (too much fumbling) and find winding hicaps a pain. My style of play is a bit of a mixture of providing support fire covering my team mates and assaulting the objective, so switching a lot between single shot and full auto.

Any thoughts or recommendations? I can't use box mags as my main gun is a bullpup, sound control looks like a good idea and ideally something that takes rechargeable batteries.

G&G drum mags are pretty solid.  I have the electric version and 3 of the guys on my team run the manual verison.  Good construction and no feeding issues at all.   When it's time to fight light, I dump the plate carrier & bit and run the drum mag. :)

hH8h1EyrQrOEZeY39h0HF9vyqtS5vGv7MZzf9r25JwjjE7PuJRpiBXPGEc1kW5CcVkmR0MpTg5YgT9Yu3nhOTzVBitQHB1IyVWoa_6dEIlm7nVDvpb_EF80JZKNak2cVbAmFonDZq4pZCWOY2aCmeZ4uXtssG8lMWQy8xRcRQwrgMuLF673EihMQgQCcdG0rjJOAAl2PT-qOeJy2DaJqrPfJQ1OalElpdwQs4ZDoFEU8ynl2PwKctuGVU386qcObQ_bRrc-b4ckvKqG2_8X1U9oP1q601lpe_yxuZ3jNVUi1CWv4DoxfgZWulfK4OLzwu-mN-bgamsSoL-V8jcuPS6-Rah5A8IHlOIL_kQhUUETqaOwXoiVehNTjtPZQK2B4RGeyQ9Hrm4aj_zmcMXU1xNB45GcY4MJh8B5v00Bvs8x0v1G-eNAZ84wtBvAnCkWcnOxvdREkqFAqJE9i5cFgdpSokL1vZd_GnojLEwJ37EqqzH16WhjdjFMxwiSfEV9QrfaO7S0kvdN_gyZZ4h3rxJ0R9WOl5ZoLBErhUo7vpi_lAo9Pge674w1189baCPgQBwWFoiKSo0TfmzMQ73FQqW48aPluiZom7jJ6kjDBzgb1rRNU3Cq4_jQMlIz_ENT5CqnmjJorIvdZPau-YAXVblvMq62x-uy902eupiBO3HcqulGx4Fc-K7plS8ihzuIftN1zBf_Fyz1W67XQcDon9bw=w1704-h790-no?authuser=0

Edited by Monkman

28 minutes ago, Ebeneezer Goode said:

Looking at getting an M4 drum mag to use with my AEGs as I'm woeful at reloading (too much fumbling) and find winding hicaps a pain. My style of play is a bit of a mixture of providing support fire covering my team mates and assaulting the objective, so switching a lot between single shot and full auto.

Any thoughts or recommendations? I can't use box mags as my main gun is a bullpup, sound control looks like a good idea and ideally something that takes rechargeable batteries.

Have you considered a flash mag? Only requires a few pulls to get through at least half a mag, gets around the pain of using a drum mag in a bullpup

1 hour ago, Ebeneezer Goode said:

Being Airsoft there is no guarantee that mags will be cross brand compatible. I just bought a battle axe ak drum mag and I needed to sand the back of it to get it to locked in place on a cyma ak. So you should where possible stick to same brand as your gun and expect to have to modify if they are not the same brand. 

I have considered flash mags, although I am still tempted by the massive capacity of drums. May reconsider them if I can't get a drum though.

Regarding compatibility the only issues I've had so far have been finding any Midcaps that work with the UAR. A well known problem. It happily takes any hicap I've tried however. Meanwhile My LT happy takes any mag I've tried so far. For all that folk slag off Lancer Tactical I've had no issues so far,apart from some odd behaviour that was down to a dirty hop. Same with the UAR, a much underrated design IMHO. Not everyone's cup of tea but no complaints here.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Asomodai said:

Have you considered a flash mag? Only requires a few pulls to get through at least half a mag, gets around the pain of using a drum mag in a bullpup

I do like the idea of flash mags only down side I find is if your behind cover and priming your mag from a distance it does look if your ‘lobbing off’ an invisible friend ! 😳

• Supporters
5 hours ago, EDcase said:

Flash mags are also very loud to wind.

I hear 'zip-zip-zip' and I know my mate is hiding in a bush about 10 metres away 😄

You sure it’s his flashmag you can hear ???? Nudge nudge wink wink , ya know what ah mean ?…🤤

G&G's M4 based support gun uses a stanag compatible box mag running on CR123 batteries.   Only used for a few hours so far, so just a cautious thumbs up from me for now.

I use flash mags and have owned a G&G manual drum for a while.

The drum is convenient and being mechanical it's almost indestructible, but it weighs a metric fuck ton (it's 2kgs fully loaded). That's the main reason why I sold it.

Winding it is easy enough once you get used to it.

Can recommend both systems because they work really well, just be aware of the newer lonex mags because I've seen quite a few die (the little anti reversal springs seem softer than what they used to be).

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.