Here's the M21 again because I forgot to weather the stock. (+unnecessary beauty shots)

LzChase

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

The stock is now properly weathered using steel wool, it has 4 coats of stain and 2 coats of mineral oil.

IMG_20211128_130226.jpg

IMG_20211128_130247.jpg

IMG_20211128_130258.jpg

IMG_20211128_130307.jpg

IMG_20211128_130438.jpg

IMG_20211128_130534.jpg

IMG_20211128_130600.jpg

Edited by LzChase

• Supporters

I’ll be honest mate doesn’t look ‘used’ to me , just looks like a really crappy staining job . Having used a real wood furniture’ed gun I’d say you’ve got the worn sections going in too many different directions and just too randomly placed on the stock to replicate wear through use over time .

when you look at any old wooden bodied guns the wear’n’tear is near always in specific areas and generally only going in one or two directions .

Just my two pennies worth . 👍

3 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

I’ll be honest mate doesn’t look ‘used’ to me , just looks like a really crappy staining job . Having used a real wood furniture’ed gun I’d say you’ve got the worn sections going in too many different directions and just too randomly placed on the stock to replicate wear through use over time .

when you look at any old wooden bodied guns the wear’n’tear is near always in specific areas and generally only going in one or two directions .

Just my two pennies worth . 👍

I never said it was a good job, I just said it was weathered

I've never done this before, we all gotta start somewhere

It's also a laminate stock so I'm not entirely sure how close to a real stock it can get

Edited by LzChase

• Supporters
13 minutes ago, LzChase said:

I never said it was a good job, I just said it was weathered

I've never done this before, we all gotta start somewhere

It's also a laminate stock so I'm not entirely sure how close to a real stock it can get

Wasn’t having a go at you bud , just if you post up a picture to show of something you’ve done your not going to get everyone kissing your arse over it . You are getting negative as well as positive feedback , hence I said what I saw wrong with it from my point of view .

got pic here for you demonstrating what I mean about the weathering affecting specific areas .

A7FB9645-B32D-4634-90E8-00370C4F6512.jpeg

22 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

worn sections going in too many different directions

I went and took a closer look and some of them are laminations showing, I think I'm gonna try to stain those parts with a cotton swab to get an even finish and then try to re-weather based on an old shogun hanging on my wall. (if you tell me why I didn't do that in the first place you win 5000 £)  I'll get back to this thread when that's done.

PS: wasn't trying to accuse you of anything, perhaps bad choice of words. Not a native english speaker here.

Edited by LzChase

• Supporters
Just now, LzChase said:

I went and took a closer look and some of them are laminations showing, I think I'm gonna try to stain those parts with a cotton swab to get an even finish and then try to re-weather based on an old shogun hainging on my wall. (if you tell me why I didn't do that in the first place you win 5000 £)  I'll get back to this thread when that's done.

Getting some sauce material is the right thing to do , if you look at the pic I’ve posted all the staining from use is focused around the magwell and pistol grip .

14 hours ago, Druid799 said:

Getting some sauce material is the right thing to do , if you look at the pic I’ve posted all the staining from use is focused around the magwell and pistol grip .

So after trying to replicate this I found out that it was simply not working with laminate wood. I think it's time for a change of plans. I'm going to go for this look, meaning I'll try to bring out the beauty in the lamination pattern instead of trying to make it look like a single piece. Here in Sweden we say "Gör om, Gör Rätt" which means "Do it again but Do it right".

It could still be a replica of an old gun, as the stock could have been changed at some point.

n9a3oBx.png

Edited by LzChase

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.