M21 SWS Custom Build is Finished: The "CYMA SWS-21"

LzChase

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

must admit, i'm finding that refreshingly straightforward, whilst i'm not generally a fan of bipods in airsoft due to limited utility there are some guns that suit them, and that's definitely one.

only thing i'd really comment on is that scope offset looks like it'd make for more of a beard weld than a chin weld, perhaps an old-school padded stock sleeve to rise it up whilst fitting the look?

5 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

only thing i'd really comment on is that scope offset looks like it'd make for more of a beard weld than a chin weld, perhaps an old-school padded stock sleeve to rise it up whilst fitting the look?

Yes this is true and I noticed afterwards that the scope sits too high. I'm thinking of getting a low profile mount for the scope as the picture I used the most when referencing real guns had the scope mounted significantly lower. Perhaps a Leapers UTG, it has a single bolt instead of two, like in the picture too.

13213.jpg

Edited by LzChase

6 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

must admit, i'm finding that refreshingly straightforward, whilst i'm not generally a fan of bipods in airsoft due to limited utility there are some guns that suit them, and that's definitely one.

I put bipods on all my sniper rifles, since I've found them incredibly useful with how I play (lots of lying still, so being able to rest the rifle is a godsend for my left bicep), but for most people I agree with you.

Also, the scope mount for the m14 is always high. I don't rest my cheek on the stock when I aim with mine, because there's no way of doing that and I need a decent sized stock pouch on mine already to carry the HPA bottle and regulator, since I went HPA with my build. I'm skeptical that even low-profile mounts would solve the issue, just because of how high up the scope mount is compared to the stock itself. Maybe a combination of a cheek riser and some very low profile mounts? I just looked down mine with my cheek resting on the stock and you might be able to get away with a scope that is basically directly on the rail.

yeah, I scoped my SOCOM and it sits high.  I have been toying with getting this

https://eagle6.co.uk/shop/catalog/product/view/id/5407/s/laylax-f-factory-m14-optical-sight-mount-base-for-m14-standard-aeg-series/

It looks like its more of a low profile mount than the CYMA and TM mountings, it look by the pictures to block the ironsights.  Just not got round to buying as there are other pews that are calling for my attention at the moment.  Be interested to know if anyone has used this mounting?

• Supporters
1 hour ago, LzChase said:

Yes this is true and I noticed afterwards that the scope sits too high. I'm thinking of getting a low profile mount for the scope as the picture I used the most when referencing real guns had the scope mounted significantly lower. Perhaps a Leapers UTG, it has a single bolt instead of two, like in the picture too.

13213.jpg

getting the scope lower would definitely help, although needless to say a lot of it is just the limitation of the platform.

29 minutes ago, Impulse said:

I put bipods on all my sniper rifles, since I've found them incredibly useful with how I play (lots of lying still, so being able to rest the rifle is a godsend for my left bicep), but for most people I agree with you.

think for me it's a case of usually monopod on the mag is "good enough" for the standards of airsoft levels of range/accuracy, although granted i would seldom go prone for any real length of time so normally the bipod is just dead weight.

ofc for aesthetic purposes it's a moot point as to whether or not it's actually useful, and because it looks cool is as valid a reason as any other (after all, if we cared only about performance why an m14 at all?)

• Supporters
3 hours ago, kasaran said:

yeah, I scoped my SOCOM and it sits high.  I have been toying with getting this

https://eagle6.co.uk/shop/catalog/product/view/id/5407/s/laylax-f-factory-m14-optical-sight-mount-base-for-m14-standard-aeg-series/

It looks like its more of a low profile mount than the CYMA and TM mountings, it look by the pictures to block the ironsights.  Just not got round to buying as there are other pews that are calling for my attention at the moment.  Be interested to know if anyone has used this mounting?

Try and get the low profile G&P one if you can, it's better than the Laylax one!

As mentioned, the sight line on the M14 is high. My SOCOM has this:

20200619_122231.thumb.jpg.a836a2aadb04984d8a7ae7cdaa4ab936.jpg

Works really well, but then it IS designed for real steel shooting.

4 hours ago, LzChase said:

13213.jpg

Most M1A/M14 mounts for real rifles have to take into account leaving space for the spent brass to eject. The G&P low profile mount is a VERY good copy of the old ARMS 18 mount http://armsmounts.com/shop/mounts/a-r-m-s-18-m2114-scope-mount/ which is widely regarded as the best M14 scope mount. I have the G&P one and while it sits WAY lower than the one you have the sight line on an M14 is just high.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.