Looking for a strobe light for CQB

furylemon97

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

That kind of light  can induce a seizure for people, like me , who have photo sensitive epilepsy. Most indoor and some outdoor sites do not let them be used. This is why news reports and TV programs often warn of flashing images ... Probably should add that not everyone who has photo sensitive epilepsy, knows they have it, I avoid sites which allow strobes. 

Edited by Guyver1
additional info

yes they warn on tv but they don't remove them i assumed that you would be allowed it and if you have such problems to do your research to see if there will be strobes there or not but apparently not i will contact the site i want to visit to check if they are allowed as it doesnt state you arent allowed them on the sites rules section.

7 minutes ago, furylemon97 said:

yes they warn on tv but they don't remove them i assumed that you would be allowed it and if you have such problems to do your research to see if there will be strobes there or not but apparently not i will contact the site i want to visit to check if they are allowed as it doesnt state you arent allowed them on the sites rules section.

hmmm, completely missed the point I think

I agree , but i do have the option to not look at the TV and I know i am photo sensitive. 

Not everyone who is photo sensitive knows it. The frequency of the flash is a factor.

So imagine you are an unknown photo sensitive and you rock up to a game and get flashed (completelyinnocently ) by a strobe light that it just the right frequency to induce a seizure in you.

Depending on how your brain reacts you may

•   You feel a little disorientated and maybe you feel a bit ill. Shake it off and carry on.
  • You end up on the deck, possibly twitching and you can loose control of your bodily functions. When you come too you feel groggy and need to get a change of clothes. You airsoft day is over and you won't feel right for a day or so.
  • At worst seizures are life threatening

Maybe the law makers of this land should take a similar stance towards cyclists and e scooter users.

The amount of times I've been driving at night and take a bend in road to be confronted by a wall of flashing light that wouldn't be out of place on a ufo, and the source strapped to the wobbly head of a cyclist!

It can be very alarming and in worse case scenario, if you suffer from flashing light fits,very dangerous.

I had epilepsy as a kid. Don't remember my fits being induced by flashing light though. 

My cqb site always warns about strobes in briefing.

Regards 

• Supporters
18 hours ago, furylemon97 said:

You're dangerously close to breaking Life Rule No1 - don't be a dick. It's not on the person with photo sensitive epilepsy to "do their research" and avoid YOU, it's on YOU to do YOUR research and not use it when you're told not to. Likelihood is that they will check during the safety briefing and ban their use on the day if anyone says they have an issue with strobe lighting.

I don't really have a budget but wouldnt really want to spend more than £100 on a light

Well, that's a budget then, isn't it?

Night Evolution, Element, Aim-O copies of the M300 or M600 weapon light would be your best bet. Some versions come with a head that allows you to select strobe or constant and have built in mounts for picatinny rails.

• Supporters
21 minutes ago, Lozart said:

You're dangerously close to breaking Life Rule No1 - don't be a dick. 

Beyond close, more like dry humping that rule.

Strobes are shite anyway all they do is irritate who they are pointed at while completely ruining your own eyesight and aim. You just end up dumping bbs at flickering shadows.

• Supporters
17 hours ago, Shamal said:

Maybe the law makers of this land should take a similar stance towards cyclists and e scooter users

They did, cycle lights shouldn't strobe at more than 4Hz.  Source.

That's actually a little fast, as frequencies as low as 3Hz can (rarely) trigger epilepsy. Source.

Even as a born again lycropath, I agree that there are some obnoxious lights out there. I run an Cateye "800"[*] lumen retina-burner on my bicycle, but keep it on the least hurty flashing mode while on or near a road, turn it down, and/or cover it with a hand, as necessary.

[*] Where we wander vaguely back to airsoft is that lumen claims are all over the place.  What I will say is that it's actually uncomfortable shading towards painful to hold an unprotected hand in front of my "800" lumen bicycle light.  If you're buying some 100,00,0000 lumen TrueVastWindFire flashlight and don't experience similar toastiness, then you can reset your beliefs about its intensity accordingly.

11 hours ago, furylemon97 said:

one guy every crying over bike lights like wtf? 

No not crying just pointing out how it's potentially dangerous to be driving at night and suddenly having a strobe light in the eyes.

Like wtf. Lighten up furry 🙂

• Head Moderator
24 minutes ago, Shamal said:

No not crying just pointing out how it's potentially dangerous to be driving at night and suddenly having a strobe light in the eyes.

Like wtf. Lighten up furry 🙂

Strobe lights are fine at night unless drunk and driving at speed thorough a tunnel in Paris... ;) 

On 25/11/2021 at 11:04, furylemon97 said:

Any suggestions on lights/strobes for CQB? looking to get one and start cqb in the new year and recommendations would be appreciated.

There are plenty of cheap china made strobe tac lights that you can put on a pistol or rifle in the £15-20 price range. The lens can/does get shot out but they work well enough. The lumens are low enough to annoy but not blind the guy on the receiving end. 

• Supporters

Kinda key point I've not seen mentioned; a strobe's of little effectiveness and personally I found that they're somewhat distracting to the user too.  Certainly don't aid aiming that much compared to a normal light.

The people who really know what they're doing and have access to all the kit they could ever desire don't use them, better off to just learn how to actually setup a weapon mounted light so it's accessible and practical, then learn how to actually use that light the right way.  Oh and make sure it's protected from hits and you actually have good batteries.  Oh and spare batteries.  And....

A light with plenty of umph does the job of essentially hiding your exact position to the person you're lighting up if they're much at all adjusted to the dark, despite what the urban myths say.

On 25/11/2021 at 11:04, furylemon97 said:

Any suggestions on lights/strobes for CQB? looking to get one and start cqb in the new year and recommendations would be appreciated.

You are going to find that many sites won't allow strobes because of the odd player that has epilepsy.

Much better to get the muzzle flash that you use with the BB's that glow. The flash only happens per trigger pull and most sites have rules on ROF, one site I know has a 3 shot rule, 2 count before repeat. 

Don't take epilepsy as trivial, it can be life threatening and people die from attacks.

So do you really want a family pursuing you for damages?

I know a chap who started playing with strobe and then sacked it off as its not much use in a practical sense. A weapon light with a momentary switch is what he uses now.

I have always used a light with a momentary switch which can be used to push positions and corners but goes dark instantly.

If you're dead set on using a strobe, but don't want to be thought of as a selfish silly sausage, try using a fairly powerful torch and blinking really rapidly.  

Has about the same effect.  

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.