Tokyo Marui, are they always a safe bet?

TheFriendlyBro

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

16 hours ago, Stratton Oakmont said:

MATHS

Mathematics...

I said MATH to accommodate our american friends who seem to visit here a lot.

Gotta laff 😉

CAC73417-FA65-423A-8638-6FC046841963.thumb.jpeg.ce06242ef8ff915420e40c732961a323.jpeg

Anyway, back on topic

I started off with a Krytac, great rif, upgraded barrel and hop and it served me faultlessly for two year - but it was soulless 

A bit like driving a nice Japanese car

I moved to a TM Scar recoil, again, same upgrades but still felt lacking. That stayed with me for about 4 months 🙄 before I accidentally moved to gbbr’s 

As my gbbr is a bit of a whinging wee tart unless it’s about 20 deg outside (which is twice a year in Scotland) I have again bought a TM recoil for use during the colder months of the year. For the simple reason I trust it to work out of the bag every time. 
This can be said about the majority of manufacturers RIF’s out there as long as you don’t unnecessarily tamper with the internals.

I don’t think that TM are the saviour of the sport.

I think that 80% of the other manufacturers out there will give as good a performance with a little bit of attention by just adding a decent hop rubber and a premium barrel.

But does that defeat the purpose of buying a cheaper gun in the first place?

Im seeing lots of our players attending with makes that I wouldn’t have considered a couple of years ago and they look & feel great in the hand, but shoot just as well as a TM. 
So to summarise 

I don’t know! 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, Enid_Puceflange said:

Anyway, back on topic

I started off with a Krytac, great rif, upgraded barrel and hop and it served me faultlessly for two year - but it was soulless 

A bit like driving a nice Japanese car

Interesting analogy. 

My first car was a classic English sports car.  Smelled of hot oil all the time, leaked water in the rain, wouldn't go above 60mph, and every time I hit 3rd gear the gearstick would nudge the fast forward button on the tape deck "Screeeeeech".    Damn thing was put to death at the first MOT with rusty sills.
Bags of character though.

But when 'character' tends to be a list of faults or foibles, how desirable is that, really?

Edit: And oh yeah, definitely "maths". We're in the UK.  We do quite enough to accommodate our Yankee cousins, no need to mutilate our lingo too :)

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

• Supporters

E0A8C37A-20E9-49EC-B238-91CD997B9962.jpeg                       Can also come from being a right cunoot that no one likes ?🤔 

1 hour ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Interesting analogy. 

My first car was a classic English sports car.  Smelled of hot oil all the time, leaked water in the rain, wouldn't go above 60mph, and every time I hit 3rd gear the gearstick would nudge the fast forward button on the tape deck "Screeeeeech".    Damn thing was put to death at the first MOT with rusty sills.
Bags of character though.

But when 'character' tends to be a list of faults or foibles, how desirable is that, really?

I drive a Defender as my daily, it’s like an abusive relationship 

I love it to bits, it kicks the shit out of my spine & my wallet !

😂

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Enid_Puceflange said:

I drive a Defender as my daily, it’s like an abusive relationship 

I love it to bits, it kicks the shit out of my spine & my wallet !

😂

I drive a Mazda because it starts when I want it to start and it's comfortable. Plus it has a cavernous boot that I can fit as many airsoft pews into as I could ever want!

I've had shit, old cars and it's not "character", that's just a thing we say to make up for it being shit.

15 hours ago, Lozart said:

I drive a Mazda because it starts when I want it to start and it's comfortable. Plus it has a cavernous boot that I can fit as many airsoft pews into as I could ever want!

I've had shit, old cars and it's not "character", that's just a thing we say to make up for it being shit.

Same with my old Mondeo. Had it since new (10 years/113500 miles). Bulletproof, costs nothing to run, whopping massive great boot. No plans of offing it yet.

Other transport is a 125cc motorbike. Not so great at transporting airsoft gear but a rucksack sorts that. Although it's currently languishing in Eezer's garage awaiting repair after a rather catastrophic slip on black ice last week.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Ebeneezer Goode said:

currently languishing in Eezer's garage awaiting repair after a rather catastrophic slip on black ice last week

Bloody ice, it comes over here, it lays around on our roads, contributes nothing, shouldn't ought to be allowed. :angry:

Royal Enfields have character.  I'm not saying that my 2008 with 1950s designed British technology made to Indian QC with ropey Indian steel is a great bike, or even a good one, but it's by far my favourite.

Bloody council, can't be arsed gritting a single track country B-road... one of these things, couldn't be helped. Chalk it up to experience and move on I suppose.

I always liked Japanese bikes, my Yamaha has been great, until my prang last week. Just hope the gearbox isn't buggered.

As we're still 'motoring' I guess I'll throw this in the mix, apropos the jap cars vs character vs reliability thing I commented on before... 
And I don't know whether I'm arguing for or against my previous comment, or moving the conversation forwards, backwards or sideways ;)

I've owned 4 (count 'em) MX-5s.  They've all been very reliable considering I've had a Mk1, a Mk2 and two Mk3's - all with plenty of years and miles under their belts.  I've had a couple of O2 sensors fail, I've had a window winder fail (with the window down, and on a rainy day when I'd travelled a long distance for a game of golf, natch) and a mystery misfire that never got fixed but still let me drive around.

So famed Jap reliability.  And I loved 'em, so they had character.  
Performing reliably was a part of that character I loved, I guess :)

(Being able to provoke mini-powerslides at any/every corner in the wet also helped immensely!

I'm looking forward to the time when I can buy a relatively-nearly-new Mk4, but current COVID / job market situation is dictating otherwise unfortunately)

PS Eezer, what sort of Mondy are you driving?  One of my earlier cars was a Mondy 2.5 V6 (just the base version, Mk1), that was a great car.  Smoothest and best engine I've owned I think (all my other cars have been 2 litre V4s or worse)

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

2.0 TDCi, Dw10 engine. 140hp. Zetec Business Edition so lots of useful additions (dual zone climate, satnav, BT which wasn't too common 10 years ago, voice command, parking sensors, all round leccy windows, tinted rear windows, heated windscreen etc). Fantastic car. The old V6s were nice, sadly gone now due to high fuel prices and rampant EcoNazi-ism. Can't be having proles enjoying themselves, can we.

Always liked the mk1 MX5. An MG B for the 90s, only more reliable!

Apologies to the OP for powersliding gloriously off topic.

Only airsofters could derail a topic so much. Anyway my second car was an 82 trans am it had character. it however was a steaming pile of shit. My current work 1ltr civic is faster and much more fun to drive. Still miss my Pontiac. Oh and the dream is to eventual build an electric 68 dodge charger that is stupidly quick.

Back on topic TMs are well built and will last for years if you leave them alone.

Edited by BigStew

2 hours ago, BigStew said:

Only airsofters could derail a topic so much. Anyway my second car was an 82 trans am it had character. it however was a steaming pile of shit. My current work 1ltr civic is faster and much more run to drive. Still miss my Pontiac. Oh and the dream is to eventual build an electric 68 dodge charger that is stupidly quick.

Back on topic TMs are well built and will last for years if you leave them alone.

Started badly, but a great recovery!

9 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Royal Enfields have character.  I'm not saying that my 2008 with 1950s designed British technology made to Indian QC with ropey Indian steel is a great bike, or even a good one, but it's by far my favourite.

A group of us went through a phase of playing with them.  Upgraded oil pumps, Amal carbs, Brit pistons, bigends and valves set in new seats as they often leaked from new.  Converting the 350 to 500 was easy IIRC.  My uncle had a genuine 1940s example, teles but still rigid.

Not many people think that fettling a bike, car or rifle is an essential part of enjoying ownership.  I think that's the sector of the market that TM  aim for.  

• Supporters
14 hours ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

Upgraded oil pumps, Amal carbs, Brit pistons, bigends and valves set in new seats as they often leaked from new.  Converting the 350 to 500 was easy IIRC.

I cheated and went for an AVL 500, which has a better (but not great) oil pump and some of the iron barrel issues sorted. Amal, of course, and bin off the comically constricted stock exhaust. The exhaust valve is getting a bit cooked, but I've not even bothered sorting it, I'll probably replace it when it burns through and drops. ;) 

The electric foot is a trap, the fragile sprag clutch will grenade itself on any kick-back: mine's on it's third in under 12,000 miles.  Not really a problem though, it always starts reliably on the first kick, about 60% of the time.

14 hours ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

Not many people think that fettling a bike, car or rifle is an essential part of enjoying ownership.  I think that's the sector of the market that TM  aim for.  

Indian made Enfields from the AVL onwards are like AEPs: heavy, under-powered, some peculiar engineering, they shouldn't really work, but it turns out that they're surprising reliable all year round.

Hah, back on topic. :D 

The AVL slid passed my radar.  I feel yet another two wheeled project coming on.  The last rh change bike I rode I nearly came a cropper on (ex-wife's ex-husbands B40) braking by mistake on snow.  A lefty may be a safer big crobber all round.   

If you fitted a WL45 style Thompson scabbard to the military version AVL 500 you'd have pretty much the ultimate cool prop vehicle IMHO.  

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.