Tokyo Marui, are they always a safe bet?

TheFriendlyBro

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Sorry for what might seem like a silly question but I'd love to know what everyone here thinks.

As the title says, is Tokyo Marui always a safe bet?

As of now, my airsoft collection is small, with it only comprising of different handguns (mostly from TM). However, I've got my TM SPAS-12 arriving tomorrow, which I'm quite excited about, as it's my first "big" airsoft gun!

I'm slowly building my collection and looking to replicate certain weapons and load-outs from my favourite games. For instance, the M4A1 from RE3 on the PS1 includes a vertical foregrip, bipod and an Aimpoint, something I'd love to put together one day but in airsoft form!

I know there are plenty of M4A1 variations, from a bunch of different brands but TM also sells their own Recoil AEG M4 SOCOM. It might not be full metal but for something like that, would I be getting a product that works out of the box with good performance and wouldn't require me to mess around with upgrades?

Another example is TM's SG552, another favourite gun of mine from old James Bond games. I know ICS and other brands have full metal versions but TM also has their own. Again, sorry for the long-winded post! I hope you peeps understand what I'm trying to ask here.

I'm not much of a hardcore player but for someone who collects and then occasionally plays, is Tokyo Marui a safe bet for someone like myself? Or should I always be considering other brands as well?

Personally I don't think their AEGs are all that.  Previously, 5-10 years ago yes, absolutely, when other manufacturers struggled with QC etc.  But not now, and especially given their rather singular focus on the Japanese market which usually necessitates upgrades to attain UK FPS levels.  You are buying for the name and reputation.  Now, where they are absolutely the best is in their range of pistols and GBBR, which are pretty much universally excellent.

2 minutes ago, EvilMonkee said:

Personally I don't think their AEGs are all that.  Previously, 5-10 years ago yes, absolutely, when other manufacturers struggled with QC etc.  But not now, and especially given their rather singular focus on the Japanese market which usually necessitates upgrades to attain UK FPS levels.  You are buying for the name and reputation.  Now, where they are absolutely the best is in their range of pistols and GBBR, which are pretty much universally excellent.

Ah, interesting.

In terms of AEG's, what are some absolutely solid brands that are worth looking into? I'm not too interested in gas blowback rifles, just because of the extra maintance, so it'd be great to know what I should be keeping an eye out for.

• Supporters
8 minutes ago, TheFriendlyBro said:

Ah, interesting.

In terms of AEG's, what are some absolutely solid brands that are worth looking into? I'm not too interested in gas blowback rifles, just because of the extra maintance, so it'd be great to know what I should be keeping an eye out 

Most brands have the odd lemon in their range. TM pistols are always considered a safe bet, but then the 1911's are a bit rubbish and the original M9's were bad.

TM make generally good stuff, but as mentioned everyone else has pretty much caught up.

Just now, Lozart said:

Most brands have the odd lemon in their range. TM pistols are always considered a safe bet, but then the 1911's are a bit rubbish and the original M9's were bad.

TM make generally good stuff, but as mentioned everyone else has pretty much caught up.

On another post, someone broke it down like this:

M6/M16 AEG, I'd go G&P as long as I could get it with trademarks

G3, LCT

AK, LCT or possibly cyma

P90, King Arms

Would you largely agree? I come across more horror stories than praises when it comes to buying from certain brands, but that's probably my own fault in terms of what I'm reading! It'd suck to buy something like an M4 from G&P, only for another brand in a similar price point to be better.

• Supporters

Safe bet?  Yes, almost universally in terms of (at least) decent performance and great reliability.  I also mostly collect/build and very occasionally play and I've got TMs that have sat doing nothing for a decade, I pull them out and they work more than well enough to be competitive on the field, I have no stresses or worries about them.  For me that's what matters.

'Best'?  I actually genuinely would be a millionaire if I had £1 for every time I'd read that in relation to airsoft but with no further explanation.

34 minutes ago, TheFull9 said:

'Best'?  I actually genuinely would be a millionaire if I had £1 for every time I'd read that in relation to airsoft but with no further explanation.

Ha, I understand. It's like asking what the best car manufacturer is! Rather than best, perhaps what are some of the brands that should be avoided? I often see Lancer Tacitical and Novritsch paired together as two brands worth avoiding.

All brands have good and bad guns.  I would suggest that you put forward some models that you are interested in.  Being an AK fanatic I would recommend any of the following E&L, LCT or CYMA for AEG and GHK for GBBR.  No idea re M4s.

LCT in general are pretty decent actually

Edited by EvilMonkee

Just now, EvilMonkee said:

All brands have good and bad guns.  I would suggest that you put forward some models that you are interested in.  Being an AK fanatic I would recommend any of the following E&L, LCT or CYMA for AEG and GHK for GBBR.  No idea re M4s.

I've got a decent list as of now, in terms of what I'm interested!

I think the AKS-74U might be next and LCT seems to have me covered for that, I'm also interested in picking up an F2000 (as well as the Five-seveN) and a FAMAS as well. With the FAMAS though, I've heard that all of 'em are pretty pants in terms of how they perform and build quality (according to videos and posts I've seen online).

Depends on your budget, if you want good performance then I wouldn't say no to the CYMA range of AKs.  Just make sure you stay in the 40 -series and not the 20 - series designation.  I think the CYMA AKS74U is model 0.35 or something.  LCT or E&L are both equally good, E&L probably shade it slightly with some of the feature set of their V2 guns but the externals of them need more care as they will rust.  

In the past they were the go to brand for reliability, but fortunately for us poors the ACM manufacturers have upped their game in terms of qc. 

I agree their gas guns are great, but some models can have issues (I'm looking at you FN57 and R870) 

• Supporters
14 hours ago, TheFriendlyBro said:

On another post, someone broke it down like this:

M6/M16 AEG, I'd go G&P as long as I could get it with trademarks

G3, LCT

AK, LCT or possibly cyma

P90, King Arms

Would you largely agree? I come across more horror stories than praises when it comes to buying from certain brands, but that's probably my own fault in terms of what I'm reading! It'd suck to buy something like an M4 from G&P, only for another brand in a similar price point to be better.

G&P make some nice stuff but they have their quirks. A lot of their barrels are a tapered fit so standard aftermarket barrels won't fit and G&P parts (like the guns) are expensive. 

The LCT G3 itself is nice but lots of people have complained that the mags don't feed well (which is kind of essential) so as long as you're happy to do some DIY fixing that then yes.

AK - LCT are nice Real Sword are nice, Cyma are great if you pick the right one. I had this one for a while https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/cyma-cm-045a-aks-74u and it was solid as a rock. @EvilMonkeewas on the right track with the distinction on model numbers but it's from CM040 up (not 35). Basically below that they're copies of TM designs which are technically fine but the ones from 40 up are copies of VFC designs which have far superior external detail and general construction. Gearbox is the same throughout and is generally pretty bombproof.

P90. Well...yes. I love the P90, lots of people hate it. Not sure there are any that you would actually call "good" though. They all have feeding issues with midcap mags, they all have mushy as fuck triggers (apart from the new Krytac one but that has its own problems) but that's not entirely uncommon in bullpup designs.

17 hours ago, TheFriendlyBro said:

I know there are plenty of M4A1 variations, from a bunch of different brands but TM also sells their own Recoil AEG M4 SOCOM. It might not be full metal but for something like that, would I be getting a product that works out of the box with good performance and wouldn't require me to mess around with upgrades?

The MWS and Next GEN AR15 are full metall ;)

• Supporters

I’ve got a TM recoil Socom that’s 13yrs old and a recoil AK74su that’s 11yr old both running fine and both never been opened up and only ‘upgrade’ to either was changing the batt connector to a deans .

so for me that tells me all I need to know about the brand . 

5 hours ago, Lozart said:

G&P make some nice stuff but they have their quirks. A lot of their barrels are a tapered fit so standard aftermarket barrels won't fit and G&P parts (like the guns) are expensive. 

The LCT G3 itself is nice but lots of people have complained that the mags don't feed well (which is kind of essential) so as long as you're happy to do some DIY fixing that then yes.

AK - LCT are nice Real Sword are nice, Cyma are great if you pick the right one. I had this one for a while https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/cyma-cm-045a-aks-74u and it was solid as a rock. @EvilMonkeewas on the right track with the distinction on model numbers but it's from CM040 up (not 35). Basically below that they're copies of TM designs which are technically fine but the ones from 40 up are copies of VFC designs which have far superior external detail and general construction. Gearbox is the same throughout and is generally pretty bombproof.

P90. Well...yes. I love the P90, lots of people hate it. Not sure there are any that you would actually call "good" though. They all have feeding issues with midcap mags, they all have mushy as fuck triggers (apart from the new Krytac one but that has its own problems) but that's not entirely uncommon in bullpup designs.

Thanks I couldnt remember what it was for the AKS74U 

Other than their old armalites (plastic body cause barrel wobble) TM are a safe bet in terms of they will work out the box with out modification and their lemon rate is significantly lower than Chinese/Tiawanise made guns. They are however exspensive compared to other brands but that's down to country of origin and QC. There are now many manufacturers that do more for less but if you search these forums you'll see posts about essential mods/repairs needed for most brands. My team currently runs stock G&G ARP9s great guns but out of 5 bought 3 are broken in less than a year, with out heavy use also one drum mag failure out the box for the team mate with the still functioning gun. I had a TM scar which I had for 2 years before I got bored never missed a beat before I sold it( I have now been shot several times by the mate I sold it to). Most Airsoft manufacturers especially lower/ mid tier offer more for your money but (personal opinion) none of them match TM reliability. So if you want gun that you are prepared to do work if/when it needs it go for pretty much and manufacture. If you want a gun that you are 97% sure it will work every time get a TM.

Edited by BigStew
Spelling

Don't think metal body=better. The better plastic guns can still handle rough treatment of a game and cheap pot metal easily breaks. Also the weight difference can really make a difference towards the end of the day

• 2 weeks later...

I found that TM are a safe bet providing you leave it alone. The old adage about "letting the magic out" really does apply to the AEGS but the pistols were always solid, albeit a bit light in the hands.

That being said, QC for airsoft has gotten better across the board and now you have companies like CYMA and E&C who are starting to rub shoulders with the more established brands so unless you are looking for something specific that only TM do, it is worth looking at other brands as well IMO.

• Supporters

I've got a tm m4s, plastic bodied & it's not missed a beat in about 17 years, not even "serviced", but I've got quite a few new cosmetic parts sitting around, metal bodies/keymod forends/rear stocks, so I thought I'd jazz it up with a makeover. 

But am I gonna fuck up the magic, essentially I'm just swapping over the internals in to something prettier, should I get one of these cabinets so that the tm fairy dust doesn't escape during reassembly 🤔

Isolation-Glove-Box-re-300x200.jpg

I’m new but have the bug!  Not sure if anyone has mentioned but I think TM are the only ones to offer recoil, stop shot function (so when your out of ammo you not air shooting!)  unless skys the limit then there’s the GBLS DAS which seems the ultimate experiment

https://eagle6.co.uk/shop/catalog/product/view/id/4366/s/tokyo-marui-m4-cqb-r-black-next-generation-recoil-shock-a-e-g-pre-order/

TM get a bad rap for the FPS, I’m told not to fixate on this as it will shoot as far as others at 350 FPS.  That said for  £95 you can tell this supplier what FPS you want and they will make it so!

If I could have my time again I’d have bought the above for sure plus it sounds way better than my KWA T10, although the recoil might not be as good.

So I’d day for around £400 buy a KWA Ronin T10, if you can pay more get the TM with the upgrade for £540 or whatever, if it needs to be lower then get the CYMA.

I couldn’t be without the recoil, imagine pistols that had none, yack!  

Be like one of those meek handshakes you get from low testosterone males where they clasp your fingers and not firmly crush your hand…..technically it’s the same thing but it’s not is it :).

Edited by Halo

• Supporters
6 hours ago, Halo said:

TM get a bad rap for the FPS, I’m told not to fixate on this as ‘IT WILL SHOOT AS FAR AS OTHERS AT 350 FPS’ .

AND with this one incongruous comment you open the door and put the light on one of the biggest points of contention in Airsofting , FPS v Range .
On one side you have players who say within reason of course that FPS has rock all to do with range it’s all about your hop set up(I’m in that camp) and on the other you have the ones banging on about the FPS is what matters as “power = distance”(definitely NOT me !) 😉

Yeah defo from my experience; inverted recoil, decent hop, bolt stop function, shit fps - tm ngrs ALL day. Decent fps, ok hop ( although on any m4 aeg it takes five minutes and five quid to make it decent) any other brand aeg! Unfortunately you start tweaking Tokyo maruis and the toffee metal house of cards comes tumbling down. This is why they got such low fps

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.