Jump to content
Airsoft Forums UK

Tokyo Marui, are they always a safe bet?


Recommended Posts

Sorry for what might seem like a silly question but I'd love to know what everyone here thinks.

 

As the title says, is Tokyo Marui always a safe bet?

 

As of now, my airsoft collection is small, with it only comprising of different handguns (mostly from TM). However, I've got my TM SPAS-12 arriving tomorrow, which I'm quite excited about, as it's my first "big" airsoft gun!

 

I'm slowly building my collection and looking to replicate certain weapons and load-outs from my favourite games. For instance, the M4A1 from RE3 on the PS1 includes a vertical foregrip, bipod and an Aimpoint, something I'd love to put together one day but in airsoft form!

 

I know there are plenty of M4A1 variations, from a bunch of different brands but TM also sells their own Recoil AEG M4 SOCOM. It might not be full metal but for something like that, would I be getting a product that works out of the box with good performance and wouldn't require me to mess around with upgrades?

 

Another example is TM's SG552, another favourite gun of mine from old James Bond games. I know ICS and other brands have full metal versions but TM also has their own. Again, sorry for the long-winded post! I hope you peeps understand what I'm trying to ask here.

 

I'm not much of a hardcore player but for someone who collects and then occasionally plays, is Tokyo Marui a safe bet for someone like myself? Or should I always be considering other brands as well?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally I don't think their AEGs are all that.  Previously, 5-10 years ago yes, absolutely, when other manufacturers struggled with QC etc.  But not now, and especially given their rather singular focus on the Japanese market which usually necessitates upgrades to attain UK FPS levels.  You are buying for the name and reputation.  Now, where they are absolutely the best is in their range of pistols and GBBR, which are pretty much universally excellent.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, EvilMonkee said:

Personally I don't think their AEGs are all that.  Previously, 5-10 years ago yes, absolutely, when other manufacturers struggled with QC etc.  But not now, and especially given their rather singular focus on the Japanese market which usually necessitates upgrades to attain UK FPS levels.  You are buying for the name and reputation.  Now, where they are absolutely the best is in their range of pistols and GBBR, which are pretty much universally excellent.

Ah, interesting.

 

In terms of AEG's, what are some absolutely solid brands that are worth looking into? I'm not too interested in gas blowback rifles, just because of the extra maintance, so it'd be great to know what I should be keeping an eye out for.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Supporters
8 minutes ago, TheFriendlyBro said:

Ah, interesting.

 

In terms of AEG's, what are some absolutely solid brands that are worth looking into? I'm not too interested in gas blowback rifles, just because of the extra maintance, so it'd be great to know what I should be keeping an eye out 

 

Most brands have the odd lemon in their range. TM pistols are always considered a safe bet, but then the 1911's are a bit rubbish and the original M9's were bad.

 

TM make generally good stuff, but as mentioned everyone else has pretty much caught up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Lozart said:

 

Most brands have the odd lemon in their range. TM pistols are always considered a safe bet, but then the 1911's are a bit rubbish and the original M9's were bad.

 

TM make generally good stuff, but as mentioned everyone else has pretty much caught up.

On another post, someone broke it down like this:

 

M6/M16 AEG, I'd go G&P as long as I could get it with trademarks

G3, LCT

AK, LCT or possibly cyma

P90, King Arms

 

Would you largely agree? I come across more horror stories than praises when it comes to buying from certain brands, but that's probably my own fault in terms of what I'm reading! It'd suck to buy something like an M4 from G&P, only for another brand in a similar price point to be better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Supporters

Safe bet?  Yes, almost universally in terms of (at least) decent performance and great reliability.  I also mostly collect/build and very occasionally play and I've got TMs that have sat doing nothing for a decade, I pull them out and they work more than well enough to be competitive on the field, I have no stresses or worries about them.  For me that's what matters.

 

'Best'?  I actually genuinely would be a millionaire if I had £1 for every time I'd read that in relation to airsoft but with no further explanation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, TheFull9 said:

'Best'?  I actually genuinely would be a millionaire if I had £1 for every time I'd read that in relation to airsoft but with no further explanation.

Ha, I understand. It's like asking what the best car manufacturer is! Rather than best, perhaps what are some of the brands that should be avoided? I often see Lancer Tacitical and Novritsch paired together as two brands worth avoiding.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

All brands have good and bad guns.  I would suggest that you put forward some models that you are interested in.  Being an AK fanatic I would recommend any of the following E&L, LCT or CYMA for AEG and GHK for GBBR.  No idea re M4s.

 

LCT in general are pretty decent actually

 

Edited by EvilMonkee
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, EvilMonkee said:

All brands have good and bad guns.  I would suggest that you put forward some models that you are interested in.  Being an AK fanatic I would recommend any of the following E&L, LCT or CYMA for AEG and GHK for GBBR.  No idea re M4s.

I've got a decent list as of now, in terms of what I'm interested!

 

I think the AKS-74U might be next and LCT seems to have me covered for that, I'm also interested in picking up an F2000 (as well as the Five-seveN) and a FAMAS as well. With the FAMAS though, I've heard that all of 'em are pretty pants in terms of how they perform and build quality (according to videos and posts I've seen online).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like CYMA and JG for the best price/performance ratio.

But... I had the CYMA FAMAS and I didn't like it.  Very creaky plastic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Depends on your budget, if you want good performance then I wouldn't say no to the CYMA range of AKs.  Just make sure you stay in the 40 -series and not the 20 - series designation.  I think the CYMA AKS74U is model 0.35 or something.  LCT or E&L are both equally good, E&L probably shade it slightly with some of the feature set of their V2 guns but the externals of them need more care as they will rust.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In the past they were the go to brand for reliability, but fortunately for us poors the ACM manufacturers have upped their game in terms of qc. 

 

I agree their gas guns are great, but some models can have issues (I'm looking at you FN57 and R870) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Supporters
14 hours ago, TheFriendlyBro said:

On another post, someone broke it down like this:

 

M6/M16 AEG, I'd go G&P as long as I could get it with trademarks

G3, LCT

AK, LCT or possibly cyma

P90, King Arms

 

Would you largely agree? I come across more horror stories than praises when it comes to buying from certain brands, but that's probably my own fault in terms of what I'm reading! It'd suck to buy something like an M4 from G&P, only for another brand in a similar price point to be better.

 

G&P make some nice stuff but they have their quirks. A lot of their barrels are a tapered fit so standard aftermarket barrels won't fit and G&P parts (like the guns) are expensive. 

 

The LCT G3 itself is nice but lots of people have complained that the mags don't feed well (which is kind of essential) so as long as you're happy to do some DIY fixing that then yes.

 

AK - LCT are nice Real Sword are nice, Cyma are great if you pick the right one. I had this one for a while https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/cyma-cm-045a-aks-74u and it was solid as a rock. @EvilMonkeewas on the right track with the distinction on model numbers but it's from CM040 up (not 35). Basically below that they're copies of TM designs which are technically fine but the ones from 40 up are copies of VFC designs which have far superior external detail and general construction. Gearbox is the same throughout and is generally pretty bombproof.

 

P90. Well...yes. I love the P90, lots of people hate it. Not sure there are any that you would actually call "good" though. They all have feeding issues with midcap mags, they all have mushy as fuck triggers (apart from the new Krytac one but that has its own problems) but that's not entirely uncommon in bullpup designs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, TheFriendlyBro said:

 

I know there are plenty of M4A1 variations, from a bunch of different brands but TM also sells their own Recoil AEG M4 SOCOM. It might not be full metal but for something like that, would I be getting a product that works out of the box with good performance and wouldn't require me to mess around with upgrades?

 

 

 

The MWS and Next GEN AR15 are full metall ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Supporters

I’ve got a TM recoil Socom that’s 13yrs old and a recoil AK74su that’s 11yr old both running fine and both never been opened up and only ‘upgrade’ to either was changing the batt connector to a deans .

so for me that tells me all I need to know about the brand . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Lozart said:

 

G&P make some nice stuff but they have their quirks. A lot of their barrels are a tapered fit so standard aftermarket barrels won't fit and G&P parts (like the guns) are expensive. 

 

The LCT G3 itself is nice but lots of people have complained that the mags don't feed well (which is kind of essential) so as long as you're happy to do some DIY fixing that then yes.

 

AK - LCT are nice Real Sword are nice, Cyma are great if you pick the right one. I had this one for a while https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/cyma-cm-045a-aks-74u and it was solid as a rock. @EvilMonkeewas on the right track with the distinction on model numbers but it's from CM040 up (not 35). Basically below that they're copies of TM designs which are technically fine but the ones from 40 up are copies of VFC designs which have far superior external detail and general construction. Gearbox is the same throughout and is generally pretty bombproof.

 

P90. Well...yes. I love the P90, lots of people hate it. Not sure there are any that you would actually call "good" though. They all have feeding issues with midcap mags, they all have mushy as fuck triggers (apart from the new Krytac one but that has its own problems) but that's not entirely uncommon in bullpup designs.

Thanks I couldnt remember what it was for the AKS74U 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Other than their old armalites (plastic body barrel cause barrel wobble) TM are a safe bet in terms of they will work out the box with out modification and their lemon rate is significantly lower than Chinese/Tiawanise made guns. They are however exspensive compared to other brands but that's down to country of origin and QC. There are now many manufacturers that do more for less but if you search these forums you'll see posts about essential mods needed. My team currently runs stock G&G ARP9s great guns but out of 5 bought 3 are broken,in less than a year with out heavy use also drum mag failure out the box for the team mate with the still functioning gun. I had a TM scar which I had for 2 years before I got bored never missed a beat before I sold it( I have now been shot several times by the mate I sold it to). Most Airsoft manufacturers especially lower/ mid tier offer more for your money but (personal opinion) none of them match TM reliability. So if you want gun that and you are prepared to do work if/when it needs it go for pretty much and manufacture. If you want a gun that you are 97% sure it will work every time get a TM.

Edited by BigStew
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't think metal body=better. The better plastic guns can still handle rough treatment of a game and cheap pot metal easily breaks. Also the weight difference can really make a difference towards the end of the day

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It may be true that high grade polymer bodies can be superior to the lowest quality 'metal' ones but I still prefer the weight and feel of cold steel pot metal 😄

 

Edited by EDcase
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...