Best way in the UK to purchase a neat tactical outfit?

ModernTimes

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I have been scouring around multiple websites some of which were really hard to navigate, some were broken, others had what seemed like really cheap looking stuff on them and although I find something similar to what I am looking for I often find myself not finding the exact thing I want in the exact colour.

I have no clue how to assemble my kit so it actually looks official and professional. I have a picture I found online of the look and style I want to go for but matching it is hard.

The hardest part being what seems like a tactical camouflage shirt or coat with really nice leaf looking ghillie on it (except it is not full ghillie just partial starting less from the waist and getting more and more "busier" as the top goes to the neckline). It's stuff like this I just can't seem to find and when I do they are very cheap looking.

If anyone could help by providing some websites they have gotten their gear from it'd be greatly apprecated.

General kit - try your local army surplus store.

Something like a cobra hood, really there are 3 options, KMCS (expensive), Novritsch (cheaper) or make your own from a viper hood. 

You won't buy the perfect ghillie, even the good ones like the KMCS come pre-requisited you will need to craft them and apply some veg yourself. That's just part of fitting in to your surroundings.

Edited by Steveocee

Btw another alternative to these is sprinter custom ghillie... They're top quality although they cost a lot more but if you want something off the shelf that's your best bet. You can pick them up from longbow Airsoft.

Edit: I should add this is just a promotional Photo from the SCG website, just as an explanation so the OP can see the difference. 

Next-Gen-Cobra-Suit-Long-Sleeve-Fin-Pat-03.jpg

Edited by Crazy_Crystal

For tactical shirts and combat trousers, try local surplus store or amazon. 

You can make your own ghillie from camo netting and other materials, there's tutorials online.

In terms of looking "organised and professional", you'll need to be more specific. What are you trying to achieve looks wise? Keep it practical, don't just spaff shedloads on fancy kit, it needs to be practical and comfortable. Really all you need is eyepro, a gnu and BBs if you want to break it down to basics... the rest is sort of for looks.

Assuming you're at a woodland site, some sort of camo is a good idea. Brown, Khaki, OD or any camo pattern like DPM, woodland, MTP or the Jack Pyke style hunting/fishing pattern is great to make you blend in. Don't wear black as it stands out a mile...

Edited by Ebeneezer Goode

2 hours ago, Ebeneezer Goode said:

Really all you need is eyepro, a gnu and BBs if you want to break it down to basics... the rest is sort of for looks.

I would say that while some here say 'pockets are fine' I had a couple of 'interesting' situations where I just couldn't swap mags within the same calendar month.
So a belt / chest rig with a least a couple of mag holders would be on my essentials list.    Preferably the plastic shell type, or with a metal insert, so you're not even fiddling with retaining cords etc (but not losing mags either).  

You could refer to my "will my webbing wobble thread" :)

• Supporters
5 hours ago, Ebeneezer Goode said:

“For tactical shirts and combat trousers, try local surplus store or amazon.”

“Assuming you're at a woodland site, some sort of camo is a good idea. Brown, Khaki, OD or any camo pattern like DPM, woodland, MTP or the Jack Pyke style hunting/fishing pattern is great to make you blend in. Don't wear black as it stands out a mile...”

You won’t find Pencott in a surplus shop .

as to what to wear if your field craft is up to scratch then quite frankly you can wear what ever color you want . A good 80% of the people you’ll come across on an open day haven’t a ‘Scooby do’ about it and the will literally walk right past a concealed player using even just the bare minimum of field craft skills ! 

Fieldcraft... ahh many happy memories as both an air cadet and subsequently as a CI teaching it. Great fun! And also very useful in skirmishes.

Trying to blend in with your surroundings however generally helps. Turning up in grey joggers or a black boiler suit wielding a 2 tone will get you shot at, lots. I know, I've done it... haha.

Hadn't come across Pencott before, very good. However the OP still hasn't given us any clues as to what they want to look like, leaving us all guessing.

Everyone has different ideas of "essentials", I'd say if using pouches improves your game then absolutely go for it... although my reload times are still woeful, a good 20 seconds of clumsy fumbling on a good day. D'oh! Never mind John 117, I'm more like a clumsy blaster fodder Stormtrooper at the front of an Imperial boarding crew...

1 hour ago, Druid799 said:

You won’t find Pencott in a surplus shop .

as to what to wear if your field craft is up to scratch then quite frankly you can wear what ever color you want . A good 80% of the people you’ll come across on an open day haven’t a ‘Scooby do’ about it and the will literally walk right past a concealed player using even just the bare minimum of field craft skills ! 

Yep. This. I've done it in a short-sleeved black t-shirt and plain OD trousers. Yes, it's easier in a ghillie or leaf suit, but where's the fun in that? Makes it too easy ;)

I'll also vouch army surplus shops if you're just starting out. Some DPM BDUs, a pair of boots, some simple wool gloves, a boonie hat and a set of PLCE webbing will cost you very little and it'll supply you with everything you need for the games from a gear perspective. Naturally, this all comes after things like quality eye-pro (Sawflys are great), a gun and some BBs. My first "loadout" was all army surplus with a cheapo BASR. Had a single magazine and no sidearm. It was glorious.

Edited by Impulse

• Supporters

eBay UK for cheap surplus MTP and DPM

Flecktarn.co.uk for budget-to-mid range stuff that hits a nice value point

Hueys.co.uk

Tactical-kit.co.uk for more gucci stuff

UKtactical.com is a steady bet

British Tactical is great but takes a smidge more knowledge to understand and C2R fast are about to launch their site if you're feeling rich and want what the SAS use these days.

The majority of the rest of the tactical gear available in the UK is clones imported from China and some is good for airsoft and some is hot garbage, you roll the dice.

• Supporters
20 hours ago, ModernTimes said:

I have no clue how to assemble my kit so it actually looks official and professional.

tenor.gif&f=1&nofb=1

I too would like to see this picture.  It's OK, nobody's going to steal your prom dress idea.

On 24/11/2021 at 07:31, Crazy_Crystal said:

Btw another alternative to these is sprinter custom ghillie... They're top quality although they cost a lot more but if you want something off the shelf that's your best bet. You can pick them up from longbow Airsoft.

Edit: I should add this is just a promotional Photo from the SCG website, just as an explanation so the OP can see the difference. 

Next-Gen-Cobra-Suit-Long-Sleeve-Fin-Pat-03.jpg

That's a really nice ghillie and I love the colours. Thanks for sharing it. It's exactly the kind of quality I am looking for.

On 24/11/2021 at 23:49, Rogerborg said:

tenor.gif&f=1&nofb=1

I too would like to see this picture.  It's OK, nobody's going to steal your prom dress idea.

On 25/11/2021 at 02:43, Cannonfodder said:

Posting the pic would help. Also bear in mind that some of the real kit can be expensive 

On 24/11/2021 at 09:40, Lozart said:

Come on then, give us a clue.

I don't mind sharing it, I just didn't want to seem like I'm trying to get others to do the work of finding it for me. But here it is.

ApplicationFrameHost_CoghTf8gOl.png

On 24/11/2021 at 19:42, TheFull9 said:

eBay UK for cheap surplus MTP and DPM

Flecktarn.co.uk for budget-to-mid range stuff that hits a nice value point

Hueys.co.uk

Tactical-kit.co.uk for more gucci stuff

UKtactical.com is a steady bet

British Tactical is great but takes a smidge more knowledge to understand and C2R fast are about to launch their site if you're feeling rich and want what the SAS use these days.

The majority of the rest of the tactical gear available in the UK is clones imported from China and some is good for airsoft and some is hot garbage, you roll the dice.

Thank you! Life saver! I'll have a look through all these and see what I can find.

Edited by ModernTimes

• Supporters
8 hours ago, ModernTimes said:

I'm pretty sure I've seen this originally posted on Instagram and this is very, very much an Instagram loadout.  This is in fact the pinnacle of tacticool IG cosplay.  Could you play a skirmish in it?  Yeah of course, the reality will just be quite shitty in use compared to a well done loadout.

First off, day NODs (probably dummies).  An extraneous amount of bullshit strapped around legs that will make running 5x harder than needed, not to even mention the fact the holster's round their knee.  Pretty sure the left leg bag is something from WW2.  Half ghillie that clashes hugely with the zero effort put in to camouflaging the rest of the stuff he's got on.  Gun setup is pure butt-produce and all based around social media posing not any sort of real life experience.  PC with ghillie doesn't make a lot of sense.  Overall attempts to mix the cool stuff from both real-world recce and CQB gear and will be ineffective at both.

If any given person is more in to the dress up than anything else that's 100% fine but they should never be under any illusion that it'll be practical in the woods.  This kit looks like it's from a video game and the tac gear in video games is almost always horribly done in every respect other than looking super cool to 15 year olds who don't know anything about real gear.

• Supporters
9 hours ago, ModernTimes said:

I don't mind sharing it, I just didn't want to seem like I'm trying to get others to do the work of finding it for me. But here it is.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Disguise-Sniper-Coat-Viper-Hood-Chimera-cape-shortened-Multicam-XS-XL-/154098312466?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Should do the trick for the ghillie hood. 

The reason I was pushing to see the pic is that we can probably find links quicker because most of us have seen this all before! Don't feel bad about asking for help!

On 27/11/2021 at 11:25, TheFull9 said:

I'm pretty sure I've seen this originally posted on Instagram and this is very, very much an Instagram loadout.  This is in fact the pinnacle of tacticool IG cosplay.  Could you play a skirmish in it?  Yeah of course, the reality will just be quite shitty in use compared to a well done loadout.

First off, day NODs (probably dummies).  An extraneous amount of bullshit strapped around legs that will make running 5x harder than needed, not to even mention the fact the holster's round their knee.  Pretty sure the left leg bag is something from WW2.  Half ghillie that clashes hugely with the zero effort put in to camouflaging the rest of the stuff he's got on.  Gun setup is pure butt-produce and all based around social media posing not any sort of real life experience.  PC with ghillie doesn't make a lot of sense.  Overall attempts to mix the cool stuff from both real-world recce and CQB gear and will be ineffective at both.

If any given person is more in to the dress up than anything else that's 100% fine but they should never be under any illusion that it'll be practical in the woods.  This kit looks like it's from a video game and the tac gear in video games is almost always horribly done in every respect other than looking super cool to 15 year olds who don't know anything about real gear.

Yeah I see what you mean. I do like the general look of this so I am looking to copy it somewhat but I'm not expecting to copy everything. Realistically I just want the trousers with no straps or bags on the side, the vest, ghillie hood (that matches the woodlands properly), mask, goggles and helmet. I am looking for a good Instagram looking setup with decent space for ammo/mags that is also light and practical. I'm not interested in making it look real or making it very efficient as I'm not overly into the military or tactical gear as a whole just really want to have it for the looks.

The top I want full ghillied including the helmet and shirt/t-shirt (probably a hood type thing) so I can blend in.

6 hours ago, ModernTimes said:

I am looking for a good Instagram looking setup 

Why, are you playing for your enjoyment or for the approval of others?

As posted above, concentrating on practical kit rather posing bullshit will give you a better experience in game

15 minutes ago, Cannonfodder said:

As posted above, concentrating on practical kit rather posing bullshit will give you a better experience in game

Couldn't agree with this post more...

IMO loadouts are very much a personal thing and are an expression of individuality as much as practicality, but the practicality has to come first.

• Supporters
54 minutes ago, Cannonfodder said:

Steady on, we all enjoy different things, and (almost) everybody is LARPing to some extent. Even jeans and hoodie can be an anti-snobbery costume.

15 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Steady on, we all enjoy different things, and (almost) everybody is LARPing to some extent. Even jeans and hoodie can be an anti-snobbery costume.

Unless they are Gucci jeans and hoodie ! 🤣

24 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Indeed... but as long as its still practical to run in, unless you're the juggernaut...

2 hours ago, Cannonfodder said:

I'm not concentrating on it I just want my kit to look good same way you'd want a car that looks nice, a rifle that looks nice, a piece of furniture. I'm there to have fun not act out a theoretical WW3 where my gear has to be realistic whilst being as efficient as possible. As I said I am looking for practicality alongside also looking good which I believe is entirely possible if I pick my gear correctly.

Most people I encountered in airsoft all had very neat good solid looking kit that was also practical and that's what I want. I get that you might feel different and you might want practical kit over looks but I don't feel the same way.

Edited by ModernTimes

• Supporters
14 hours ago, ModernTimes said:

I am looking for a good Instagram looking setup with decent space for ammo/mags that is also light and practical.

As you say above, you can get lots of likes but putting together a smart loadout and still be comfortable and not hate your life as soon you stop standing in the safe zone and step on to the actual field, 100% doable.  I just wouldn't recommend any emulating of guys who are doing full on balls-out cosplay for photoshoots if you do actually want something that's good looking but is also genuinely practical.  I also do disagree with your sentiment that practicality and efficiency are mutually exclusive to be honest.

The main thing I'd say is, if you put on a PC and helmet then a ghillie jacket with hood, you'll have covered up 80% of the PC and helmet anyway and you'll sweat your tittays off, not to mention being slow, uncomfortable and getting snagged by both foliage and structures - ergo you won't actually look cool.  Oh and the helmet will potentially snag inside the ghillie hood too and restrict your head.  Personally I own one of these but I'd only wear it with a chest rig, if I go for PC and helmet it'll probably be for indoors and hence no fake trees on me.

Just some experience I've gained having spent a fuck ton of money on gear over the past 15 years, as I always say how you wanna spend your cash is up to you.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.