So how did I do? Weathering test on a scope mount after tips from fellow forum users.

LzChase

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

This is the scope mount for my M21 build. I've attempted to weather it after getting tips from fellow users. If you guys like it, I will use this method on the full build, if not, tell me how I could improve.

What I've Done:

-Steel Wool used to wear away paint to simulate edge wear, a fine file was used to make a few deeper scratches on the outer edge where it would get hit on things the most.

-Rails are extra scratched to simulate attachments going on and off over the years.

-Bolts have extra weathering to simulate screwing them in and out over the years. They also have marks around the edges made by pliers to make it look like tools were used at some point.

-Round scratches around the bolts to simulate said tool touching the metal.

-Finer steel wool used to create a slightly uneven finish as wear is never even

-Generic scratches

IMG_20211123_115710.jpg

IMG_20211123_115731.jpg

Edited by LzChase
Spelling Error

• Supporters

Looks good. I'd go a bit easy on the scratching though - the bit around the large thumbwheel looks a bit excessive to me. Most of these parts are hand tightened so you wouldn't expect tool marks really.

It's a good start, I wouldn't go any harder, it's much easier to a bit more than a bit less. I'd be tempted to give it an oil wash and wipe over to soften the contrasts.

It's used and worked but maintained when possible.

There's a personal aesthetic thing too so everyone will have different opinions of how much is good.

I'd advise to look for reference of actual parts or similar to ones you are working on.

Wear on metal weapons tends to be subtle and gradual.  Generally you don't see large marks where paint has been worn away. (Rounded edge)

We can see you have gone in the same direction for the wear on the curved edge.  Try to always do figure 8s or circles.

The thumb bolts look good to me.

The larger scratches could be there but I would say the military wouldn't use damaging tools on parts like that.

If you want heavy wear in a harsh environment then you could put more scratches all over it but they will have to vary from long to very short and vary in strength.

Its a good start 👍

Remember that it takes quite a long time to get through the paint so it will take a good while to be subtle.

Edited by EDcase

• Supporters
1 hour ago, LzChase said:

I put bluing paste on it and this happened

IMG_20211123_130812.jpg

Looks much better .👍

3 hours ago, EDcase said:

By the way, which Blue are you using?

Is it Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black? (Yes, its the American spelling)

No it's perma blue paste, aluminum black didn't give that brown, rust-ish effect

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.