Considering doing something for charity

Finius
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

So guys.

At my local airsoft site, we have a guy who plays every skirmish. He's a real trooper, he suffers from MS but still plays every skirmish. Sometimes he turns up all day and plays one game, the point is, if my local site run a skirmish day, he'll come down. He doesn't complain, make a scene, or even particularly let on that he suffers, but I've heard about MS and I can honestly say I'd be scared of getting it.

As president of Coventry Airsoc, part of my major objectives for the next year is to give back to the airsoft community, through forums, volunteering to marshal for free (so our marshals can at least get a game once a month) etc and I'd like to organise something for an MS charity as one of these community projects. It'll possibly be solo, but I'd like to get the whole society involved.

It'll have benefits for many people I hope:

-Sufferers of MS

-Airsoft as a whole; I hope to get the sport some good press

-The airsoft society

-The people doing it (I won't lie, it will look good on my CV, or the CV of whoever takes part, but that's not my intention, it's merely a consequence which I put down to good karma).

What I want to know, is what people would find most sponsor worthy/interesting (I'm not asking you to sponsor me, I'm asking you what you think would attract the most sponsorship money); here are the current choices I'm toying with (no particular order):

-Mount Everest Base Camp

-Tandem Skydive

-Endurance running/cycling

-Skirmishing in a skimpy outfit that offers little protection, with bullseye's painted on especially desirable targets. Armed with a banana for knife kills and a stickloader to be used as a blow dart gun.

-Getting a few friends and arming ourselves with pistols with five rounds; let the other players on the site hunt us down, SAS selection meets battle royale style.

-Stirling selection (as in I go do it and attempt to pass it)

-Charity photo print auction (www.flickr/com/finius 91 to see my stuff, not updated recently though)

Training is no option, if it'll raise the most, then I'll make sure I'm fit enough/good enough to make a good attempt. We're not going on realistic odds, feasibility or anything like that, purely what people think is more sponsor worthy.

Other suggestions welcome.

If anyone else feels inspired to do some charity work because of this post, then great, good luck. If you want help researching some charity stuff, I have access to a lot of information at the students union, I'll happily do what I can to help.

my dad recently did the three peaks in under 24hrs. and raised over £20,000 with a few others so that would be worth looking at.

But i would advise you not to do anything too enjoyable (i.e skydiving) as some might thing you're just having a jolly at their expense

Option 1:

Find a site where you can play, ask nicely if you can run a "charity game" there one weekend when its free or instead of their normal game (long shot).

Get volunteers to marshal, and take all entry money for charity. Could make a deal with the owners to give them 10% or something. Its for a good cause.

Option 2:

Ask players to pay one extra pound more on entry. People, in general, are really lazy. Make it easy to support a charity and they will do it. Its not very exciting, but it will raise money.

Thats all i gots at the mo!

I like them! keeping it simple works.

you could do a kit donation type thingy???????

or if you could get a site to let you run a day and all the money went to charity bar the running costs etc.

• AF-UK Founding Member

Don't go for things which suggest you are going to have a good laugh/muck about. Much like what Cyrax said, going for something like a charity skirmish is something people pay for anyway. I'm sure you could probably add a tenner to the sites usual fee and do it for Help for Heroes - that would go down well I think.

• Supporters

I'm liking the skirmish idea, essentially with me doing events management as an extra module this year, we could run and staff a skirmish ourselves as a society. I was hoping for something a bit more out of the ordinary; thing extreme challenge, it's doesn't have to be fun, just something that means we've earnt every penny we get; I don't want an easy "fundraiser".

If it came down to it though, what I want isn't important, what is important is what's gonna raise the most money.

I'm all for H4H (Finius donates heavily, because he's a good Samaritan), but because of the locality of CUSU Airsoc, we're wanting to stick to MS charities, purely because one of our site's nicest and most outstanding players suffers from it, so I think all the regulars and the site owners/staff will be willing to get behind it.

Edit: Also, thanks for replying guys, I want to go about sorting this event (whatever it is) the right way, the charity/disease we'll be going for is close to home, so as well as being a community project, this is something very important to me personally. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

its sounding good! BTW if you doing a charity event either a walk/skirmish whatever give me a bell and i'll be happy to take part!

• Supporters

Would be cool with you coming to take part in whatever we do buddy :) If we do anything you don't want to take part in, you could always film it; it'd go on the uni website most likely, so good press for you.

haha marksman! sounds good! :D

but yea finius I'd probs film it if i do it aswell, I film EVERYTHING

got a new camera so i filmed my dog walk :)

• Supporters
I've got an idea.

You let people pay a pound to fire ten rounds are you from 5m away.

You will make loads, heck I'd travel to with £50 :P

I have a better idea...We set you loose in a massive woodland site, and over a period of 48 hours, I hunt you, like the dog you are, driving you to your physical limit, forcing you to push your mind to superhuman levels of activity to evade my unending hunt. Then, when you think you're safe, within site of your LZ in the 47th hour, and you let your guard down. Bam. One shot. Right in the genitals.

What might help, is a structured game day.

A main day scenario, with games based around it. Possibly even zombie based? Zombie games are hard to organize because everyone pays the same amount so everyone wants to be "the survivor".

If its for charity, people will be more in it for the funsies.

And as i mentioned in that shop thread, where ever it went, if you give people the chance to volunteer, they can put it on their CV in they want - which helps them out, you get free labour, which helps you out. And just because they volunteered, doesnt mean they cant donate money as well as time. +££

• 1 month later...
  • Supporters

Right folks.

I've decided what I'm doing.

20ft Firewalk, barefoot over burning embers (supposedly at about 1200 degrees f).

I need to raise a minimum sponsorship of £150, of which £25 pays for the firewalk itself.

Not gonna be much fun, I'm not tolerant of heat, it can be recorded and shown off in the press etc to garner further support and I figure if I can arrange to do it on campus, or at my airsoft site, it'll help raise even more.

I'm going to contact the MS Society this week to talk about it, and will proceed from there.

My only concern is this. The reason I want to raise this money is because of the lad at my site, who is an absolute legend, he really is. If you had MS, and found out I was doing this mostly for you, would you think I was being patronising? People don't like to be given charity kinda thing, I don't want to yano, seem like a nob.

Advice appreciated.

Archived