Eezer Goode's Sci Fi Armour Build Thread

Ebeneezer Goode

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Ahem. Please don't tempt me. Mrs. Eezer will be acquiring a nice set of testicle-shaped earrings should I dare buy any more stuff 😖

Although I may justify it by offing a couple of items. Maybe if I sell my current vest, M4 and Shotgun that are currently getting dusty I can justify it.

Maybe.

Or maybe I'll be forcibly neutered instead.

• 2 weeks later...

Some more work tonight. Added some shoulder bits and a breastplate for a more beefcake appearance. Master Chief is my homeboy. Glue edges etc deliberately left rough as I'm going to plastikote the lot prior to painting.

Tempted to add some sort of detail to the back, maybe some more faux plating, or some sort of pretend environmental control backpack/computer/summat sad like that.

Still a bit to do, besides painting. Leg bits require more work but need more hot glue first as I've run out. Also want to beef up the glue joins with rivets or similar.

20211215_220808.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Wow!

Bet that checker plate took some bending! 😉

Regards

Thanks for the vote of confidence @Tactical Pith Helmet, although it remains to be seen if it all doesn't fall apart on its first skirmish or is a nightmare to run about in... time will tell.

@Shamal I don't even know my own strength at times... pure space marine beefcake. Oo-rah!

For the eagle-eyed among you, you'll notice the shoulders are a bit squint. That was a snafu that only got picked up after I'd glued it all together. D'oh! The glue seams are very visible but it'll all be painted over anyway.

Still, that black and OD look doesn't look half bad. Choices choices...

About to start priming. Thinking OD for the body and leg bits and black for the arms. Thoughts?

Did consider leaving it all black however as I play at an evergreen woodland site I want a modicum of concealment, plain OD works well. Original plan was to paint the whole lot OD however the black arm guards match my gloves and the colour scheme of both my RIFs.

• Supporters

Not that I'd tell your granny how to suck eggs (so to speak), but have you tried a tester on an offcut or two, I'd be inclined to do so, both primer & end colour, be a terrible shame after all your hard work for it to go wonky at this point 🤔 

At least then all black is still an option. 

Not a bad idea that... thanks Tackle!

If I'm honest I've been completely winging it since I started it. Cocked up the shoulders a bit but hey ho it's just a bit of fun and I'm not fussed if it's not perfect.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Ebeneezer Goode said:

About to start priming.

Have you hit it with a heat gun to seal the foam?

I then cheaped out and used Poundland PVA glue, which works fairly well to create a tough but flexible base.

Not yet but I will. Did give some brief heat when shaping but nothing more than localised. Will a general blast all over do?

Other activities have waylaid this evenings planned progress, tomorrow night then.

• Supporters
27 minutes ago, Ebeneezer Goode said:

Will a general blast all over do?

Yes, you can actually see the foam cells closing up.

If you're having trouble mustering up a sufficiently big blast, watching some Kamui Cosplay might help.

Still not got round to priming. Annual Leave until 10th however too many household jobs needing done.

On the other hand, managed a couple of small add ons to the UAR and a bit of bodging err sorry "teching" to fix a design flaw...

Firstly, a cheap metal CYMA silencer which has definitely changed the report to a dull, quieter 'thud' instead of the normal popping 'crack' and to me looks the business. Haven't Chrono'd it yet however it shoots fine. Also bought two Battleaxe 380rnd hicaps that have a nice texture to them and a very handy capacity check window. They also improve the look of the gnu in my view.

16414677520036626349209940491061.thumb.jpg.411ca6e99057118c6371e350e7bd8504.jpg

Secondly, there's an annoying design flaw with the magwell that is well documented. Basically there's an irritating spring-loaded plunger that helps push the mag out on ejection. The magwell is also slightly too large resulting in much wobble; the combination of these two things makes many mags not sit right and causes feed issues. Sorted this by ripping out said plunger (its completely unnecessary anyway) and packed out the rear magwell guide with a strip of velcro; now, nice tight mags that sit correctly, feed correctly and, finally, I can use my midcaps...

16414678026925918846846216117734.thumb.jpg.e99abd4eb4c59ca50442e2cfa481230f.jpg

Might get round to priming tonight.

Eezer G

• 2 months later...

Been a while due to madness at work, on call every bloody weekend so no airsoft since January. However... finally the armour is finished.

During last week's fine weather, Plastikoted the whole lot before painting in Halfords OD and then sealing with PU Lacquer.

I'm happy with the results. Just need to skirmish it now, when I get a free weekend.

Also touched up the coat on my rifles and lacquered them for protection, I like the shine its given them.

When I get a chance, I'll post a full pic of my loadout.

Eezer G

20220402_155806.jpg

20220402_155909.jpg

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.