Eezer Goode's Sci Fi Armour Build Thread

Ebeneezer Goode

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Nice start, chap!

Some constructive observations:

I'm not sure if your blade is dull (and EVA foam will dull it up a treat), or if you're not using a cutting mat, but you should be able to make neater cuts than that.  However, a blast with a heat gun will tidy it up a treat, and you want to give it a once over anyway to close the foam up before prime and paint.  If you're going to try and shape any edges after cutting, a dremel sanding drum is ideal.

The shoulders look bold, but they will limit your upwards arm mobility.  And the chest is heroic, but if you want to be able to actually put your hands in front of you, I reckon you'll want to remove quite a lot of material from around the armpits.  You see this a fair bit in cosplay armour: folk can do heroic arms-out poses, but they can't clap.

Even the classic stormtrooper armour, with its shaped in torso plate, limits what you can do with your arms.

(Hidden gem video)

Thanks for the feedback @Rogerborg. Yes the cuts are pretty rough, however it's the first time ive tried this and I'm going to dremel all the rough edges away anyway.

The shoulder pieces aren't fixed in position yet so I'm going to put a bit of thought into movement and placement prior to gluing stuff in place. Thanks for the tip regarding armpits and movement... I did actually consider this and have left the sides completely open for now until I work out the ergonomics. No point in it looking heroic if I can't fight in it!

Thanks for the pointers and tips, much appreciated. Keep the suggestions and tips coming folks...

Might do some more later on today, will update the thread with any progress.

Eezer G

• Supporters

Everyone does one wrong before doing them right, it's very much a case of fitting and adjusting.  The good news is that EVA is easy to correct.  The first one that I got wrong was leather torso armour, that I ended up having to cut and shape after wax hardening it.  Oops.

Afternoon fellow warriors. A few days off, so having done assorted chores around the house, decided to do some more work on the armour.

Dremelled away most of the rough edges and cut out space for arms and belly to avoid any stormtrooper-esque mishaps. I wonder if that's why they are so bad at shooting? Anyway, some progress today.

Next step will be starting to glue things together and shape, which should prove fun.

20211123_132116.jpg

• Supporters

You can put in an articulated belly plate hanging off of the torso to allow bending over.  I still reckon you'll have issued with it rising up when raising your arms: generally you'd keep it to a narrow strip over the shoulders, and then articulate shoulder pauldrons off of it.  However, you won't know until you try and you can always modify it later.

I think I'm going to leave the belly exposed a la classic Doomguy (minus the six-pack and torn shirt). I'm going to integrate a belt into the lower section across the cutaway anyway to attach a couple of mag pouches for a nice low-drag, simple rig, so there will be a modicum of protection there. Also considering a drop leg MOLLE panel for extra storage (plus thigh coverage...) if required.

Have been putting a lot of thought into the shoulders, in short I not sure what to do yet however it'll be a case of suck it and see. As you say I can hack bits away if there's too much in the way. Although i am rather liking the squared off wedginess of it at present...

Coming together nicely for now. I'm not looking for too slick a look, I'd like it to look a bit used and worn in so not fussed about the odd rough edge here and there. At the end of of day it's going to get shot at repeatedly and will end up covered in welts, holes and lodged BBs which will provide authentic damage and, if necessary, I'll just patch over it and it'll look even more worn...

Eezer

Something I've seen people do with pauldrons is either add some scaffolding underneath to raise it up or wear a UBACS with Velcro on the sleeves underneath and stuck velcro to the underside of the pauldron. 

Maybe start following some cosplayers to watch how they build armour. 

2 minutes ago, PopRocket123 said:

Something I've seen people do with pauldrons is either add some scaffolding underneath to raise it up or wear a UBACS with Velcro on the sleeves underneath and stuck velcro to the underside of the pauldron. 

Maybe start following some cosplayers to watch how they build armour. 

Thanks. I did watch a couple of cosplay videos and velcroing stuff underneath was the way they tended to do it for a number of armour pieces. Might be an idea to do that for the shoulders to maximise movement.

Keep the suggestions coming folks, less chance of cocking it up that way! 

• 2 weeks later...

Been busy of late, however some progress today.

Installed some EA belt loops on the armour and mounted the belt, which will act both as attachment to my body and for carrying a couple of pouches for mags and anything else for a nice low profile, light loadout.

Not fussed about the glue as its going to get painted over.

Next is sourcing some velcro straps for the leg and arm pieces.

20211202_110635.jpg

20211202_110916.jpg

20211202_110924.jpg

• Supporters

Oh, nice, it never even occurred to me to belt over the structure.

I would caution that hot melt does tend to come adrift after some use, so you might want to consider another form of fixing.  I use double-cap rivets to secure straps to EVA (plus,  then you have rivets), or in extremis, just poke a small cable-tie through the area needing secured.

Thanks @Rogerborg. Think I'll secure it with something additional as you recommend.

The belt was a unique idea as it kills two birds with one stone; saves any webbing,straps, etc and allows a medium to carry pouches if required.

Wife's out shopping just now, hopefully getting velcro bits from craft shop, so should get the arm and leg bits done today too. Also considering some sort of heroic chest and back additions to make it look more beefcake.

Found a better solution for shoulder pieces in the form of a pair of old kneepads with knackered straps. Think I'll velcro them to my sleeves and hey presto, low effort shoulder protection.

So, heres what we have at present.

Sone additions to be made to the chest piece and need to sort the shoulder pieces, however it's getting there.

20211202_140654.jpg

Yes, I've watched kamuicosplay videos whilst doing my research, it helped demystify the whole thing for me.

It's not difficult, just requires a bit of thought and some experimentation. The materials cost next to nothing and are easily available.

I did. 🤣

Mrs. Eezer is a bit baffled by all this airsoft stuff, she thinks it's just me being a big bairn pretending to be Action Man running about with pretend guns etc *not to mention yet another expensive hobby*, however she's pretty impressed by the outfit so far.

12 hours ago, Ebeneezer Goode said:

🤣she thinks it's just me being a big bairn pretending to be Action Man running about with pretend guns etc

She's right about that.

Nice work, looks very post-apocalypse 

Yeah, can't deny it really. I did see (and handle) in the site shop at last weeks skirmish a Specna M16 with underslung M203 just like Action Man's. Schwinggggg... Very nearly gave me a tent pole.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm planning on painting it all OD to fit the rest of my loadout however seeing it in black I'm not so sure now. Quite like it that way.

Back to work tomorrow so not sure how much more progress there will be however I'll try to fit bits in when I can.

I don't know if you also want to be vaguely camouflaged or or not, but if not this armour is begging for some lighting on it to take it to the next level 👍

There's a very good YouTuber called "bigclivedotcom", totally my sort of content, and he recently linked to this Etsy seller...

https://www.etsy.com/shop/Flashything

... who makes some excellent little boards with LED's that mimic retro sci-fi computers. Imagine one of these in your chest armour and one on a gauntlet 😁

Ohhhhh don't tempt me.

More concerned with practicality and camouflage at present however I *may* consider something in the future. My plan is to paint it all OD and add a couple of stencils, blood type, call sign, some sort of logo etc.

I have bits and bobs at work I could concoct something out of so we'll see...

Edited by Ebeneezer Goode

Ah the XR5, one of my dream gnus. The one above, OD with the moulded handguard and triangular stock, is the one I'd love to get...

...but airsoft gnus are rare as rocking horse shit right now. Still, give it time...

For now the UAR is filling the role of Eezer's 25th Century space marine assault rifle rather well.

• Supporters
13 hours ago, Ebeneezer Goode said:

Ah the XR5, one of my dream gnus. The one above, OD with the moulded handguard and triangular stock, is the one I'd love to get..

Black and tan: https://bbguns4less.co.uk/searchresults.html?search_query=xr-5&Search= 

Although I have a stock update set for the OD... ;) 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.