V7 and Upgrading the M14 - Am I doing this right?

LzChase

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I've never worked with AEGs, so I don't know if I'm doing this right. I'm planning to change to a precision barrel with a sugru rhop in it, shim the gearbox and replace the gears with higher grade ones to begin with.

V7 parts aren't that easy to come across here, do parts for other gearboxes work with the V7? Gears, Motors, Pistons and so on. The scarcity of parts also makes me worried that I do something that will result in gearbox shell failure and then I can't get a new shell in a long time.

I'm trying to build a DMR so performance on full auto is not relevant and it will be semi-locked. 

What I'm looking to create is an accurate gun with as little "vzzt" gear noise as possible and a decent trigger response, with an FPS hopefully around 425. The base is a CYMA M14, and I'm not sure what battery would be the best, so some recommendations there would be cool too. Note that I only use NimH batteries as I simply do not feel comfortable around lithium based batteries.

Edited by LzChase

• Supporters

First off, lay off the massive font.

V7 gearboxes are somewhat different than V2/3. The cylinder head, piston head and gearset  are all V7 specific. Some aftermarket cylinder heads have a shorter nozzle than the others so the air nozzle doesn't seal properly when the tappet plate is forward. 

The standard M14 uses a short shaft motor, the EBR uses a long shaft motor with the collar removed.

Changing to a tight bore barrel will push the fps a fair bit but make sure you get the right barrel. The slots in the side to lock the hop unit in place are in a different place than on a V2/3 type hop unit so you need either an M14 specific barrel like the Prometheus EG M14 barrel or something with both sets of grooves like a zci.  

36 minutes ago, Lozart said:

First off, lay off the massive font.

Changing to a tight bore barrel will push the fps a fair bit but make sure you get the right barrel. The slots in the side to lock the hop unit in place are in a different place than on a V2/3 type hop unit so you need either an M14 specific barrel like the Prometheus EG M14 barrel or something with both sets of grooves like a zci. 

I type most my posts on a phone and do that so I can see what I'm doing and I never remember to change it back

Better just post while on PC.

About the barrel it most likely is not possible to find here. I am planning to buy a madbull barrel and take it to a very experienced builder, I know he can mod barrels to fit other gearboxes, I think he uses JB weld and needle files

Edited by LzChase

• Supporters
10 hours ago, LzChase said:

About the barrel it most likely is not possible to find here. I am planning to buy a madbull barrel and take it to a very experienced builder, I know he can mod barrels to fit other gearboxes, I think he uses JB weld and needle files

Where is "here"? Can you not buy online and have something shipped?

• Supporters
14 hours ago, LzChase said:

I'm planning to change to a precision barrel with a sugru rhop in it

why S-hop when it's much easier and as (arguably more) effective to drop in something like an ml macaron+omega nub to lift the heavies?

14 hours ago, LzChase said:

replace the gears with higher grade ones to begin with.

if you're not changing the ratio for a specific purpose (eg going for high speed) then why change a set of gears if there's nothing wrong with them?

I can't comment on the AEG part, as I stripped all my gearbox out to fit a Wolverine Hydra gen2 in mine, but in terms of hop and barrel, I recommend both the Prometheus EG and the ZCI stainless steel barrels enough. I have two m21 builds, one is my TM HPA monster that cost me a LOT and one is my Cyma AEG that cost me barely anything (as I kept the gearbox stock since the power was around 1J and I'd rather not open a V7 unless I have to) and both perform phenomenally well. The former performs better, but I'd damn well hope so as it cost about 5x as much! 

My TM setup has the Prometheus barrel, while my Cyma setup has the ZCI barrel. Both have 60 degree Maple Leaf macarons with omega nubs and I'm ranging the majority of BASR users at my local site while maintaining my 1.1J no MED shenanigans.

5 hours ago, Lozart said:

Where is "here"? Can you not buy online and have something shipped?

in Sweden, I don't have access to payment methods required to order across, however I found a double grooved barrel after some searching

4 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

why S-hop when it's much easier and as (arguably more) effective to drop in something like an ml macaron+omega nub to lift the heavies?

if you're not changing the ratio for a specific purpose (eg going for high speed) then why change a set of gears if there's nothing wrong with them?

guy I got the gun from recommended we put sugru hop in it, he has more experience than me so I just went with the flow

the gears was also his idea, he says if I put in reinforced gears it'll hold up better if i decide to add a stronger spring.

• Supporters
31 minutes ago, LzChase said:

guy I got the gun from recommended we put sugru hop in it, he has more experience than me so I just went with the flow

the gears was also his idea, he says if I put in reinforced gears it'll hold up better if i decide to add a stronger spring.

The Cyma gears are good for over 400FPS as they are! The only "reinforced" gears on the market are the Prometheus set which are a) horribly expensive and b) out of stock EVERYWHERE. SHS do a set, I've just had three sets delivered direct from China or if you can find the Nuprol V7 set they are the SHS ones rebadged. As I say though, the stock gears will be absolutely fine for a good while!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.