Importing airsoft gun to the UK

GabrielLin0206

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys, recently I wanted to try out airsoft just for fun, and I live in the UK. I went to an Italian airsoft website to purchase the kar98k dboys airsoft rifle, because they had the cheapest price and have the rifle in stock. It was only after I purchased that I figured out you actually need a UKARA defence or some sort to have a single tone airsoft gun in the UK. When I was placing the order, the website did not require me to fill in anything related to defence. I tried contacting the website but there are no replies. Currently, I was just informed the package has already left Italy heading to the UK. Will there be trouble at the custom when they figure out its an airsoft gun without UKARA number on it, and will I be in any trouble? Quite nervous right now, as this was not intentional.

• Supporters

There's a lot of stories about people's experiences importing rifs, some good & some bad, problem you have is that if yours gets stopped & you can't provide proof of a legal defence, there's a good chance it may be destroyed, or a slim chance it will be returned to the sender. 

Alternatively (fingers crossed🤞), yours may slip through the net without anybody spotting it (but I wouldn't hold your breath 😤

One member in particular has a lot of experience in importing from Italy, & the pitfalls when stuff gets stopped, @Asomodai will hopefully be along soon to enlighten as to if you have any options, in the meantime keep tracking your parcel if possible, might allow you to intercede if it stops moving & you've got a rough idea where ?

Good luck

4 hours ago, GabrielLin0206 said:

Hi guys, recently I wanted to try out airsoft just for fun, and I live in the UK. I went to an Italian airsoft website to purchase the kar98k dboys airsoft rifle, because they had the cheapest price and have the rifle in stock. It was only after I purchased that I figured out you actually need a UKARA defence or some sort to have a single tone airsoft gun in the UK. When I was placing the order, the website did not require me to fill in anything related to defence. I tried contacting the website but there are no replies. Currently, I was just informed the package has already left Italy heading to the UK. Will there be trouble at the custom when they figure out its an airsoft gun without UKARA number on it, and will I be in any trouble? Quite nervous right now, as this was not intentional.

You have to understand that the onus is on the buyer to make sure that overseas Retailers are made aware of the need for a defense written on a package. They don't have to accommodate any UK airsoft defense on their website. But really you should have done your research before you ourchased and to say you were ignorant of it is not going to save you in the eyes of the law, the information is literally plastered everywhere on UK Airsoft retailer sites, forums and Facebook groups. 

Before we left the EU there would be a good chance that it would have gotten through unscathed as Border Force only have the resources to stop pallets of shipments for random searches. Even if you had a UKARA number on the box, it would get seized (because the people doing the search on the ground are unlikely to know what a UKARA is and they wouldn't be able to check it's validity even if they did.) It would get reported and you get a destruction notice. You then need to contact them to ask them to check the UKARA number. Or prove that you're an Airsofter some other way (Regular skirmish receipts with your name and address on them etc). However UKARA is generally the only/easiest accepted defense in Border Forces eyes. 

However since we have left the EU, you will likely get the parcel tagged for Import fees, which means there is another opportunity other then random searches we had pre-brexit for it to get caught. 

At this point if it gets caught, it will get destroyed as you will be unable to prove any defense as you haven't played any airsoft let alone enough to be considered a regular. There is also a chance you can get fined and even potential time in custody (There is no precedent for it yet, but it's written into law as a possibility). 

If I were you I would be pleading with the Airsoft shop to do anything they can to get the rifle recalled ASAP for your own sake.

Please think before you act next time, the more Airsoft rifles that get caught by people who import without a defense, the more it highlights Airsoft rifles as a problem in general, which could be used for nefarious purposes.

Good luck

Edited by Asomodai

• Supporters

Sorry to hear this.  Not to kick you while you are down, but the DBoys KAR98k isn't even really suitable for airsoft skirmishing anyway, it's more of a WW2 reenactor prop or target plinker.  I'd agree with trying to get it returned regardless of the legal situation.

Best of luck, I hope it works out for you.

The only advice I can give is to try and become a member at an airsoft site near you.  Some sites have memberships which reduce the price of game days & purchases.

This may help you prove to the authorities you're intention to play airsoft.

3 hours ago, EDcase said:

The only advice I can give is to try and become a member at an airsoft site near you.  Some sites have memberships which reduce the price of game days & purchases.

This may help you prove to the authorities you're intention to play airsoft.

He wouldn't be able to become a member in time, most site memberships follow the UKARA model of three games in between 2 and 12 months. 

• Supporters
24 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

He wouldn't be able to become a member in time, most site memberships follow the UKARA model of three games in between 2 and 12 months. 

Indeed, although if Dibble ever did come knocking asking why you'd tried to import a RIF (we've had people say it's happened to them), then being able to show that you've been playing at all and have further sessions booked might provide a defence or at least mitigation.  And if your intent is to play airsoft, then why not go and play airsoft? It's ace, rental packages or cheap two-tones are available, and of course it's never been an offence to purchase or possess a RIF inside the UK, if you can find someone willing to sell.

Other defences are available.  Rocking up to a WW2 reenactment society and saying "Gosh, I'm super interested, can I become a member?  Like, right now." might be one way to get a defence, although it's a cad's trick (unless you actually are interested, and there are plenty of folk who do run impression kits), and I'd expect they'd be wise to it.

Worth asking your local site if you can become a member with out UKARA yet.

I'm sure most will allow it as its money in their pockets and doesn't break any rules.

If you get the letter about importing a RIF at least it would be something to justify it...

• Supporters

Yep, as the guys above have said, your mission should you choose to accept it, is to somehow create the persona of "a new but committed player", so becoming a member of your local site via whatever scheme they have in place, I'd also try to book yourself on to their next 3 games at least, ideally paying a deposit online that gives you a receipt as proof. 

Given that it takes next to no time to ship kit around the world, you need to get your finger out, receipts dated after customs grab your rif won't convince anybody, & you'll lose your rifle☹️

I would be putting all your effort into reversing the shipping rather then risk legal issues and the loss of all your money. Hoping on a wing and a prayer that a local site would give you membership despite not ever having played before and for Border Force to accept it is a real real long shot. Quite a bit at stake for just a toy rifle. 

Edited by Asomodai

• Supporters

@GabrielLin0206

Do you know who it's been shipped with ? 

Hopefully not the bog standard post office ? 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Asomodai said:

I would be putting all your effort into reversing the shipping rather then risk legal issues and the loss of all your money.

Why not do both?  Try and get it sent back, and go and play some airsoft.

Why have single-pass when you could have...

24c9efcee2f2c6e2bd685265fb6621590fb1ce01

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.