Advice for decent rifle out the box

Mr All the gear no idea

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Alright guys, new (but not new) to airsoft… been going on and off for years, probably been 10/12 times but always as a rental. I’m due to get my ukara next trip although not rushing into anything. I’ve already built some kit up so that’s all sorted webbing etc and before anyone asks yes I’ve got face mask, revision sawfly glasses and some altbergs so I haven’t scrimped on the important stuff 👍 I’ve read through a lot of the posts already and learned your all saying get to know which one I like the look of first and then from that can decide which make and model to get. Until I’m very experienced I don’t even want to think about any upgrades etc so I’m looking for advice on what to get. I don’t need all the bells and whistles like recoil or the ones that stop once the mags empty I just want solid reliability and to be very competitive out the box, I’m not expecting things that are fairytales but defo want to be accurate and good range etc. Want to shoot a rental then shoot my new one and say Jesus that’s the dogs… Not got a budget as such but I was thinking around 300 and then whatever it costs for spare mags battery’s charger etc. In life I’ve always been buy cheap buy twice but if your going to say you’ll get the same out of £200 than you will out £300 then fair play but if you say stretch to 4 and it will be a different beast then I could probably stretch. In the future I’ll be looking into going into sniping but that’s down the line when I’ve earned my stripes so to speak so at least this way I’ve got a solid back up if future rifle has problems. Play at 2 sites and are both woodland. Enjoy having a sneak around at distance sometimes but equally like throwing a smoke and running at the trenches lol I’ve always liked the look of the m14 but thought I may be outgunned at closer quarters with it only being semi. So I’ve been thinking probably m4 route, seems popular so must feel nice in your hands and IF I decide in future to upgrade abit there seems to be more scope for this? I’d like a standard to longer barrel rather than the shorter cqb style, I know it has no affect whatsoever in airsoft but it just wouldn’t feel right in my hands. 

Sorry for the long winded post I tried to answer some questions that you were probably going to come back with 😂👍 

I’m happy with decent second hand gear but I read someone say to stay clear of second hand until experienced in what to look out for. 

Cheers 

• Supporters

Ahoy and welcome, and that all sounds perfectly sensible (and therefore no fun for us :P )

You're rather spoiled for choice at the moment, in that budget.  If you want something that'll feel significantly different from a rental AEG (but don't want to go GBBR or HPA) then you're looking at trick triggers.  A Specna Arms Edge 2.0 with a GATE Aster, or an ARP-556 with its 3 round burst option can both be had in budget, and have plenty happy owners.

The ARP is a shortie though, and something a little offbeat that fits the longer-barrelled brief would be an M14, e.g. the CYMA CM.032 which can be had for well under budget.  You could (but wouldn't necessarily have to) spend that on an aftermarket barrel and hop rubber, plus loads of mags. Comes with a basic fire control system, but owners report that they perform well, and it would make a nice change from M4s and AKs.

However the reality is that at the moment you can only buy what's in stock, and I'd caution that applies to magazines too - it's surprisingly hard to find even stuff like shortie M4 mags, so I'd get a package of in-stock gear in your basket or baskets before committing.

Aside, your text is appearing as black for me, I don't know if you set that deliberately. I'd suggest not, as this site has a dark mode, and should be left to decide text colour unless you're making some point.

Cheers, I did try to leave no room for banter 😉

Yeh like I say I fancied an m14 but thought if I’m the future I go into sniping then an m14 is somewhat of a half way house, thought I’m better of having something full auto to like an m4 to cover more bases so to speak if I’ve got that and a single shot bolt action. 

ok nice one I’ll have a look at those! 

im not sure what’s happened there I just started writing? Must have clicked bold by accident 

Welcome. Sounds like you've done some good reading 👍

The CYMA M14 (CM032) is select fire (semi/auto) but you'd have to change the spring to reduce power if wanting to use auto.

You could change back and lock to semi if you want to go sniper/marksman.  (The EBR might be easier to go that route)

As Roger said, now is not a good time to buy as stock is very low on everything.

Have a look for some threads about 'best' new toys to start with.  It really is about choosing the look you want and then deciding on the best one for bang to buck ratio.  (And then trying to find one in stock)

Edited by EDcase

Looks aren't everything.

Fit, for example, is more important.

I have always loved the look of the AKs - so much so that soon after I got my UKARA I bought two LCTs. Steel receivers, excellent build quality and they worked well. However I found them heavy and not particularly ergonomic.

I also bought a metal G&G M4, and, compared to the AKs, it was a little lighter and much more comfortable.

I no longer have any long guns, but if I wanted another, I would go for an M4. The M14 may look nice, but it is unlikely to fit you as well as an M4.

If you are prepared to pay £300 or more just for the gun, I wouldn't go for Specna or Cyma. Not saying they are bad choices but there are probably better out there. The Krytac series are said to be good to go out of the box. Parts are proprietry but as long as you can get spares, I don't see that as a problem.

Kind of related to the post above. Have you thought about your playing style? For example I like the look of the G3 but found, despite mine having decent performance, I couldn't get on with it as I like to go sneaking through bushes etc and the long size was a hindrance 

• Supporters
9 hours ago, Mr All the gear no idea said:

Yeh like I say I fancied an m14

Oh, I missed that because of the text issue.

As @EDcasesays, M14s are select fire, full auto, or fully semi-automatic.  CYMAs come in a bit spicy from the factory, but any one that you buy in the UK should be down-sprung to be usable - PatrolBase at least claim that.

But are, of course, out of stock. :( 

In my humble opinion, the CYMA M14 is a fantastic rif, albeit a bit cumbersome.  Decent hop unit out of the box etc.  They always seem to shoot exceedingly well, and improve with modest fettling.  

I enjoy lobbing .30s through mine, with a scope fitted it performs very well.  Bit heavy and long for throwing around in CQB, although it's all relative.  Our grandfathers did room clearance with an SMLE and a foot and half of bayonet attached.  

5 hours ago, Mr All the gear no idea said:

Just been to see the geezer in the local shop and he said to look at those 👍 said pretty reliable and half decent out the box. Would you say go for krytac over g&g on pure performance? 
cheers 

krytacs don't do anything over anyone else to justify their higher price 

Guest Mr. No_Face
11 minutes ago, Mr All the gear no idea said:

Yeh been looking at it tonight saw a bud review from a shop that said only thing wrong the hop rubber is not very clever? 

Weight might be another issue for KWA stuff. Playing for long periods of time can be taxing on your arms but besides that; They have some of the most reliable rifs out of the box.

2 minutes ago, Mr All the gear no idea said:

Yeh I’ve just literally been having a read up on them and that’s the general feel I got from it, at the minute it’s looking like either a t10 (if I can find one for sale) or risk a crap QC and get a specna edge 

you can't go wrong with a T10. Good decision but as I mentioned before the weight might be an issue for long periods of play. I mean it was for my brother and he's jacked to the gills lol.

You'll likely upgrade the hop rubber on most guns that you buy.  I expect that many players buy a few rubbers and nubs at a time and swap them in as a matter of course.  

Thanks for the heads up lads, even with the £150 different your advice would be to go with the t10 over the specna? I mean overall as well not just build quality I mean internals. Is the kickback not just another thing to go wrong lol but playing devils advocate I suppose a computer chip in a toy gun is also asking for trouble 🤣

Whatever I chose will be wrong story of my life 

Edited by Mr All the gear no idea

Guest Mr. No_Face
1 minute ago, Mr All the gear no idea said:

Thanks for the heads up lads, even with the £150 different your advice would be to go with the t10 over the specna? I mean overall as well not just build quality I mean internals. Is the kickback not just another thing to go wrong lol but playing devils advocate I suppose a computer chip in a toy gun is also asking for trouble 🤣

Whatever I chose will be wrong story of my life 

it's ultimately up to you what you pick. I don't think I've ever used anything from Specna so I can't tell you how good they perform out of the box. But I have used practically everything from KWA's Ronin line at some point and can assure you they function reliably out of the box.  In regard to the kick back, well to be honest there isn't much of a kick when compared to any GBBR so not much rattling or shaking anything loose going on. You could even save yourself money and buy a T6 instead, same thing without the kinetic gimmick. Also even with their aeg 2.5s you can still feel kinetic feedback when firing and some shake. aeg 3.0 just amps that up a little.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.